Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Airstream MOHO?

Man, it looks like someone sat on the Fire Ant Nest, or at least kicked it.
My story is, I once owned a SOB trailer, towed it for thousands of miles, and got much use from it. When we came back from overseas, we looked for several months for an Airstream, but the trailers all seemed to be a little big or over priced. Then we found the Interstate and were amazed at what it offered.
See, we had gotten used to the convenience of a VW camper (parking, multiuse, etc) and the Interstate was a nice fit to our needs.
All that leads up the question: Is this a motorhome, by the strict definition of the term?
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Thanks, Of course that's how I meant it. Most of my Airstream friends have very nice trailers.
JBK, nope, that was another one I guess.
Mike, Sorry you're offended buddy. You might want to think about it a little.
cooper --actually I have been thinking maybe someday I might trade DOWN to a motorhome !!! You might think about that "Buddy"--pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
A trailer with an engine in it is an upgrade, no?

I went to a rally once at the Russian River (Cassini Ranch). I was the only classic motorhome there. I felt verrry welcomed and many people wanted to tour my moho, as did I their trailers. It was way cool. I for one would not want to hitch and unhitch a trailer, so an enginized one is great for me.

I think that a rally should be able to have ANY Airstream vehicle present with out so much as a fuss. I'd even love to see a Bluebird there too.

Maybe even anything painted silver...nah!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4WD Class C.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	30474  
Old 01-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Say, how about we bring this back to the original topic, a rally where we could try to get a bunch of motorhomes together.

My suggestion is that each motorhome owner who might be interested in such an event post the months and states they would consider.

I'll start:

When - any time after mid March, although a bit more lead time might be nice.

Where - anywhere in North America except Alaska (much as I'd like to make that trip I don't want to beat my rig to death getting up there). Closer to California would make it easier for me.

I have six acres on the Upper Sacramento River (blue ribbon trout stream). I have a dump station, 50 amp power, and "The best water on earth", and Wifi. You'd all be welcome here.

I have a friend who has a camp ground in North Dakota with whom we could work something out. How about Jackson Center? We could go to New Orleans and give the economy a boost. Just some thoughts.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I started to post a similar thought, but got called away before finishing. Great Idea! I live just south of Minneapolis, Minnesota and have ten acres of woods on a primitive lake. I can park three or four and have thirty amp service, bad tasting water, (sorry), but lots of scenery. Mall of America is twenty minutes away.
Although we have not explored the west, (well, went up to Calgory once), I really can't get away long enough to do that yet. I know of several Motorhome owners in this area who are not all WBCCI members, but follow the forum.
I think it would be very interesting to rally and compare improvements that we've made and problems we have solved. North Dakota would also work for me or Iowa or Wisconsin or South Dakota. couldn't get much further right now though.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Interested.

We would be interested in getting together with other moho owners. California would be a sure thing. Anything east of Arizona may be out of the question right now. But, we'll see what comes up. I have always felt very welcome at rallys where we are the only moho. I wouldn't feel real comfortable if we did something and didn't open it up to our TT friends. That isn't the plan is it? Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Really haven't worked out a plan yet, but I've never been to anything that didn't include the entire club. The Vintage group welcomes anyone as do many of the other sub groups.

My only thought was to see how many motorhomers we could gather to share common interests. Our problems are quite a bit different that the TT's. I see your rig is as old as mine and I'll bet it keeps you busy as well.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Really haven't worked out a plan yet, but I've never been to anything that didn't include the entire club. The Vintage group welcomes anyone as do many of the other sub groups.

My only thought was to see how many motorhomers we could gather to share common interests. Our problems are quite a bit different that the TT's. I see your rig is as old as mine and I'll bet it keeps you busy as well.
It does! We keep telling ourselves that it is a "labor of love". I have to say, that now that most of the little bugaboos have been worked out, we are starting to have many problem free trips.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I would love to have a MH rally. Last year Alan and I parked next to each other at the Spring Rally in Georgia and it was great to see two 280s sitting next to each other. Sadly that will not happen again since Alan's 280 has gone overseas.
June is out, I will be camp hosting unless you all want to come to Wisconsin, Pike Lake State Park. August, I will be taking my son to Maine to celebrate his tenth anniversary of his hike of the Appalachia Trail. July I do weddings. How about real early in March or late in October? Somewhere central, Missouri?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
My story is, I once owned a SOB trailer, towed it for thousands of miles, and got much use from it. When we came back from overseas, we looked for several months for an Airstream, but the trailers all seemed to be a little big or over priced. Then we found the Interstate and were amazed at what it offered.
See, we had gotten used to the convenience of a VW camper (parking, multiuse, etc) and the Interstate was a nice fit to our needs.
All that leads up the question: Is this a motorhome, by the strict definition of the term?
regards
I love the Interstate and wish they would put a slide out on it so there would be a schooch more room. Then I would have something to move up to.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Yes, I would be interested in a motorhome only rally, but keep in mind, we own a SQ. fiberglass one. The easiest thing would be, to form a chapter with the FMCA. They won,t worry about whether a motorhome assembled by and sold by Airstream is really an Airstream. They worry about how much fun and fellowship they can put into a rally.
Also Mike Lewis, we have be treated rudely by a lot more AS trailer owners than MH owners, so we think the snobbery may be from all that shiny aluminum.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey CK....here is one that is a bit bigger.....

eBay Motors: 1985 34' Airstream Diesel Motorhome (item 190069312946 end time Jan-12-07 11:52:04 PST)
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Moho rally

I hope you folks put a Moho rally together. Can a trailer guy go? I'd like to see all the Moho's.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question MoHo Rally

Can a "former" Airstream Moho owner go? I still think we should let all aluminum trailers and MoHos into whatever is going on. (Not talking about WBCCI) I found a fantastic Avion trailer when I had to sell my MoHo, so now I'm an orphan. My Avion would pass for an Airstream, especially since they went to the "wide body". I know this will never happen, but think of all those vintage aluminum trailers roaming the country that don't have a company still manufacturing them.

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I hope you folks put a Moho rally together. Can a trailer guy go? I'd like to see all the Moho's.
You know you have our vote!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
I too would love to have a MoHo rally. For us it would have to be some where in the Midwest or South though this year.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #37
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
Yes,The easiest thing would be, to form a chapter with the FMCA. They won,t worry about whether a motorhome assembled by and sold by Airstream is really an Airstream.
You know, that's a great idea. I didn't even think of a sub group in FMCA. I already belong to that organization and maybe that's the way to go. Something like an orphans club for Airstream, Avion, and Argosy motorhomes. I'll have to do some checking on the FMCA bylaws.

Maybe just a club for vintage motorhomes. I wonder in three years when my unit is twenty five years old, how the VAC is going to react. We would of course welcome associate members with trailers and so on. Whoever is interested.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #38
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I went over to FMCA's site and they have a lot of sub groups already. Use the link below and then select "Special Interest".
Chapter Search

I'm quite sure they would create one for us if there are enough members that want it. The problem is they don't include trailers. They do say however that non-members are welcome at rallys unless space is limited and reservations required.

What would we want to call a sub group? How would we define it?
We could do what I suggested earlier.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
We joined FMCA for one year and went to the the rally in Minot, N.D. We have no interest in re-joining FMCA.

I would, however, be very happy to attend any event where a substantial number of Airstream Motorhome owners who are forum members will be. I'm not trying to exclude non forum members, they are welcome as far as I am concerned, as are Airstream trailer owners. And others for that matter. The primary objective for us would be to trade experiences with other Airstream motorhome owners and to meet forum members.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Again, I don't own a classic MH, but I called AS on friday and gave them my S/N for my boxy fiberglass 396XL and they assured me that I did indeed own a (REAL) AS motorhome, so I would like to be included. We are retired, so any schedule that can be worked out will be fine with us.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote