Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
MH side window frames

I am currently in the process of restoring an 83 310 and am replacing the front cap I have drilled out all rivets on the inside and outside of the window frame, ran a puddy blade around the
outside of the frame and up under rivet holes but the window
frame won't budge that vulkem seems to have it glued in good
I have to get this out in order to get the cap off and I pulled the fridge access door and frame off this weekend and it was difficult
to get out as well but I did manage to get it removed without messing up anything. I have to repair this side window frame as the vertical bar that holds the back of the non slidiing glass (front)
has broken loose at the top and pulled off the glass and the glass is pulled out of the top front corner of the frame.
Also I need to figure out how to get the sliding peice of glass out
of the frame so I won't break it while getting the window frame out any ideas or techniques would be welcomed. I would post some pics for this but don't want to do a play by play as I think most would be bored to death with it. I'll be replaceing the windshields and the front cap and redoing the side windows
Old 04-07-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
To get the window frame out you may need to pull the inner skin. Airstream not only put vulcem under the lap seam outside but I would bet there is a fair amount on the inside as well. This will need to be released as well to get the window out.

How to remove the sliding glass is based on the year made, but I will tell you how I pulled mine (per the manual).

With the window in the closed position, pull the fuzzy channel inset from the lower front corner out of the track. When you get to the window glass cut the channel with a pair of snips (there is a metal band in the fuzzy channel). Slide the window forward and down int the metal channel that is empty, and allow it to bottom out (Careful, these are NLA). The additional space top to bottom should allow you to tip the window into the coach and remove it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
MH side Windows

Hopefully you are not talking about the entire inside wall around the window. I did remove the inner sill or trim and drilled out
all the rivets on the inside part of the frame. I have also drilled out all the rivets holding the headliner up but have yet tot get it to pop loose. there is a u shaped metal band thet the edge of the headliner slips inide of and I have yet to get that to pop
out of place. Have you removed the headliner berfore ?
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have not pulled the headliner but others here have. I understand it is a multiple person job and a real bear to do without damage.

Here is a link to someone who may have more info to help.

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...papass=&sort=1
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:57 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Headliner removal

remove the plastic from the u-shape band.
Drill out all the rivets of the u-channel. (I just cut mine next to windows and replaced it later with a decorative aluminum strip).
Look for more rivets once the channel is removed (the tricky part is that you have to make sure that the rivet is completely drilled out, if remnants remain they will hold the headliner in place.)
remove all screws of the upper cabinet (the ones you find after removing the u-channel and the padded piece (if present).
remove the eight screws of the visors.
remove all screws or rivets holding the headliner to the aluminum frame above windshield.
Get a friend to help hold the headliner up by the windshields, before removing all the rivets.
If all rivets and screws are gone, you should be able to drop the headliner starting at the windshields.
Drop it down easy while moving it forward, so it can slip out from under the cabinets and the ceiling liner.
Installation is reverse, but you will need two people to work it under the cabinets/ceiling liner, while the third is holding the weight in the front and pushing it in.
Not an easy job.

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
Vulkem

Anyone have a good source for fresh vulkem besides inland I figure I'll need about 7 or 8 tubes hope to get the cap and glass out this weekend if I finish the 24ft excella she started eating
starters broke the end of the housing at the bendix, had to drop the tranny and replace the flywheel it was missing 3 teeth
looked like some o these hillbillys around here.
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:15 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Re: Vulkem

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfrank
Anyone have a good source for fresh vulkem besides inland I figure I'll need about 7 or 8 tubes hope to get the cap and glass out this weekend if I finish the 24ft excella she started eating
starters broke the end of the housing at the bendix, had to drop the tranny and replace the flywheel it was missing 3 teeth
looked like some o these hillbillys around here.
I bought a dozen tubes for about $4 each a year ago for my pool. I don't remember the outfit. Go to Google and type in vulkem. I am sure you will find someone that has it on sale.
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote