Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
MH or Trailer

Greetings,

We've had our AS trailer for several years and are considering purchasing a classic MH somewhere in the 1985 - 1992 era. What advantages are there for a MH over a trailer? Is anyone wishing they stayed with a trailer or is the MH king of the hill?
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
With the motorhome you get to stay at your campsite longer...because you spent so much on fuel just getting to your destination that you can no longer afford to go out exploring.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Actually my MH friends tell me they use less fuel than I do, because they are driving a 30 mpg "towed" instead of a diesel pickup for the days they are in camp. I know it costs us a fortune to go sightseeing when we stop.
I will not go to a MH. The cool factor is very great for the classic MH. But we are very comfortable riding in our quiet truck with the heated seats and with all the rattles in the trailer behind us.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
Greetings,

We've had our AS trailer for several years and are considering purchasing a classic MH somewhere in the 1985 - 1992 era. What advantages are there for a MH over a trailer? Is anyone wishing they stayed with a trailer or is the MH king of the hill?
Neither is king of the hill. Or both are, just different hills. Both MoHos and trailers have good points and bad points, and it's more to do with your traveling and camping style as to which would work best for you.

From a financial standpoint, the trailer is probably a better bet, especially since you already have one and it won't cost you any extra to keep it instead of buying something else.

But if you really want a change, try renting a motorhome first, before making the commitment to buy one that you might not like so much later. The rental doesn't have to be an Airstream, or even a class A. An SOB class C with a similar amount of living space will still give you a feel for whether a motorhome might be right for you. If you find that don't mind the quirks of a motorhome, then start looking for an Airstream motorhome.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Surely a lot of pros and cons.

I have often thought about moving to a class A - it wouldn't be an AS though as I would want something newer.

Although I have never owned one, as the years roll by, I start to think that probably one of the advantages would be that they would be easier to set up for one thing - quicker, and less physical effort I mean.

Every time I start to think more seriously about it though, I always come to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense in our case.

We don't use our trailer much in the summer, and mainly use it for one longer trip, maybe 6-7 weeks each winter, ant the maybe a week or so during summer.

So that would be a lot of time to have a much more expensive piece of equipment just sitting not being used and depreciating.

That is probably the main reason that keeps me in the trailer.

Other reasons are (my assumption) that there would be a whole lot more potentially to go wrong - lord nows there is enough with a trailer! Multiple slides, a whole second set of running hear etc.

Finally, we store our trailer about 15 miles from our home. With the trailer, I can pretty much leave it until next time we want to use it. With a motorhome, I feel I would need to go and start it and take it on a short run perhaps once a month.

Some of them sure do look nice though, so never say never! Maybe I shouldn't be so practical, my wife is always reminding me that you can't take it with you so you might as well enjoy it!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
With the motorhome you get to stay at your campsite longer...because you spent so much on fuel just getting to your destination that you can no longer afford to go out exploring.
What is that crazy rig in your avatar? Looks like a motorhome made from an Oldsmobile Toronado and an Airstream trailer. If I were to own a motorhome, I would want something vintage like an old Airstream or Bluebird Wanderlodge or FlXible bus or something old and cool.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What is that crazy rig in your avatar? Looks like a motorhome made from an Oldsmobile Toronado and an Airstream trailer. If I were to own a motorhome, I would want something vintage like an old Airstream or Bluebird Wanderlodge or FlXible bus or something old and cool.
Can you say REVCON? That's a cool old MH. All alluminum, like the AS Classic, but with an Olds Toronado FWD drivetrain.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We went back and forth about this before we bought the newest AS trailer. We finally decided to stick with the trailer. We have the F250 and would need it even if we got a MH. (Equipment trailer, stock trailer) If we had a MH we would need a toad because the other vehicles we have wouldn't tow. So, for us, a trailer was the answer.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Protagonist is right on. Different strokes for different folks.

We started with a Dodge conversion van in 1974, it had a pop top and minimal conveniences. It wasn't much more than a tent on wheels. Then we had a 1971 27 foot Airstream International Overlander from 2000-2004 because we thought a trailer was the way to got with pets. Found out we never had enough time to use the trailer much because we had to store in a long ways from our home in the city of Seattle. We were still both working full time.

Last year we got a new Airstream Interstate to start our retirement travels this year. For two people it has almost as much room as that old 27 foot trailer as it is extended 24 foot Sprinter. We can keep it in our driveway in Maryland now and we no longer have pets. It replaces the Ford E350 van we used to tow the Airstream trailer. The Interstate has more seats than our old Ford van so it works great to haul around the extended family for special events.

We tend to like to travel and not stay in one place for more than three or four days so the B-van is perfect for our needs. It gets 18-20 MPG and we don't tow another car. It only takes a little extra effort to find a parking spot for anything we want to do since it is narrow, just extra long.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a 1993 Itasca 23' with 36,000 miles that is worth next to nothing if I tried to sell it. Instead, I invested $3500 to get everything right and we use it for short trips around the Four Corners area. We spent three days last week at a NFS campground 35 miles fom the house.

For quick get aways or a spur of the momemt trip it's great. Registration and insurance costs are cheap.

For longer preplanned trips, we use the AS. Quite frankly, good used MH's are cheap enough that having one in addition to an AS is worth considering.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Travel trailer vs. motor home vs. truck camper. It's kind of a lifestyle choice. It all depends on what your perception of camping is. In other words, your style.

About two years ago, we seriously considered going moho. After a lot of shopping and consideration, we decided to go with a pop-up truck camper rig with which to tow our Airstream. This works well for us as we like to venture out into the back country, leaving the Airstream at a base camp.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	187623  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Brian,
To me you hit upon the ideal setup. Been lookin at polyps myself to augment the AS for daytrips.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Bought a MH because I HATE backing a trailer.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Cost of Ownership (COO) is a huge factor in picking an RV. Is there any doubt that the COO of a MoHo is higher than a TT/TV?

There are logical differences too, like carrying a toad, backing up, use when not camping and so on. But, I suspect the choice generally comes down to how much a buyer is willing to spend to own the RV.

A TT/TV offers a lot of RV bang for the buck. I think a way better deal than a MoHo. But when money is no object, the MoHo might look fine.

In my observations, MoHo owners look 20 years older than trailer owners. I think it is because they are more willing to trade $$$ for convenience. For example, no hitching and unhitching, and many people simply never learn how to back a trailer, or don't want to have to learn.

A typical $400,000 MoHo with a $50,000 vehicle on the back, is not any kind of comparison to a typical new TT/TV which comes in around $100,000, and allows the TV to be a daily driver. Different worlds financially.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Good argument, but I only paid $2000 for my 36' 1992 LY MH and put in another $4000 to get her in good running shape. I know it's the exception, but there are some good deals out there if you look around. You don't need to spend $400,000.00 to get a good MH. I boondock a lot so I like having the 80 gallons of fuel available to run the genset for days at a time. I would hate to have to keep filling her up in the middle of the night. Most TT's don't come with a built in generator so you have to provision for that as well.

As others have said... It really comes down to what you're looking for. Whether it's a MH with toad or a truck with a trailer, you'll be about at the same point.

One point that I just thought of. If you have a MH and Toad you have two possible means of transpertation if one decides to give up the ghost on the road. If you're in a TT and the truck dies, you're stranded.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I vote motorhome

I love my MH. Here's why. Tami can get up & make a snack/meal, brew a pot of coffee, or use the rest room while under way. Lots of windows. Our MH has the engines hot water running through the hot water tank. This gives me hot water as soon as I park. I can take a shower after a long days drive on those cross country trips. Security is important. If you're at a rest area for the night & someone starts a ruckus next to you, just climb into the driver seat and drive away. No exposing yourself to danger going from TT to TV. More storage room (important when we fulltimed). Starting the generator with a push of a button at 3 locations inside or outside at the generator. Being able to run both AC's off the generator.
Maintenance isn't that much of a factor. You still have to upkeep the TV if you get a TT.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
7 years ago we rented a class A to take my parents on a 3 week tour of Alaska. Having all of the room and amenities and not being confined to a TV while on the road is really nice. The trip sold me on motor homes and taught me a lot about what I wanted. I started the search for a classic Airstream. Took a few years to find what I was looking for but the search paid off.

It's a hobby and takes too much of my time but it good therapy and keeps my mind active. I'll bet I have more fun boondock camping in my $40k project than most have driving their $400k rigs from KOA to KOA.

I wouldn't recommend any older motor home unless you are looking for a hobby. I've got less invested than buyers of new motor homes loose when they drive off the lot.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
When we are on the road, stopping for the night is as simple as parking. The vehicle is already secure and completely self-contained. We use an iPad for navigation, and as soon as I can figure out how to charge it from a 12v DC source finding an electric hookup will be much less important.

I think our 310 is worth at least as much as we paid for it 3 years ago. From the looks of the market, you could have a classic in good shape for $20-$30k. You might not make money on it when you eventually sell after factoring in maintenance and repairs, but you may well get your initial investment back since they don't make them anymore.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
When we go camping with trailers, I pull into my spot, push the button on the HWH leveler, and plug in the power. Then I go help everyone park, unhook, and level their trailers, empty all of their equipment from inside, and set up camp.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
When we go camping with trailers, I pull into my spot, push the button on the HWH leveler, and plug in the power. Then I go help everyone park, unhook, and level their trailers, empty all of their equipment from inside, and set up camp.
Is the rig in your avatar your current rig. It is awesome. The OP also has an awesome rig.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote