Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Yes it is! We really enjoy it. I get a kick of having a self contained vehicle. So far we just travel with mountain bikes on the back.

I'm spending too much time making it "perfect" but hope to have that down to routine maintenance in a year or so. We've put over 10,000 miles in 2 years without any show stopping issues. Preventative maintenance is the key. Maybe a little luck and proper operating practices help. I fly airplanes for a living so I'm kinda keen on making sure things are right.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Yes it is! We really enjoy it. I get a kick of having a self contained vehicle. So far we just travel with mountain bikes on the back.

I'm spending too much time making it "perfect" but hope to have that down to routine maintenance in a year or so. We've put over 10,000 miles in 2 years without any show stopping issues. Preventative maintenance is the key. Maybe a little luck and proper operating practices help. I fly airplanes for a living so I'm kinda keen on making sure things are right.
Dakota, so you really trust those guys that repair airplanes? . My brother was a 747 engine mechanic at United at SFO for 20 yrs. I had to tell him to stop telling me those maintenance horror stories or I would never get back on an airplane! (by the way, just teasing and having a little fun).
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
The reason I have a MH is because I inherited it, but I would only give it up for a 31' rear bed Classic! I would however love to have a 16' AS trailer gutted and set up to tow my ATV and tow it behind the MH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3026086500.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	187809  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post

Dakota, so you really trust those guys that repair airplanes? . My brother was a 747 engine mechanic at United at SFO for 20 yrs. I had to tell him to stop telling me those maintenance horror stories or I would never get back on an airplane! (by the way, just teasing and having a little fun).
Generally! But I wouldn't let them anywhere near my Airstream!
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Charging iPad with 12V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
....We use an iPad for navigation, and as soon as I can figure out how to charge it from a 12v DC source finding an electric hookup will be much less important.
Try a USB charger that plugs into the standard cigarette lighter socket.

I have one of these and it works great:
Amazon.com: PowerGen 2.1Amps / 10W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices - Black: MP3 Players & Accessories

There are also panel mounted USB ports powered by 12V like this one:
Panel Mount (12V) to Dual USB Socket (5V@2.1A) Device Charger [SocketUSB] - $19.99

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
The reason I have a MH is because I inherited it, but I would only give it up for a 31' rear bed Classic! I would however love to have a 16' AS trailer gutted and set up to tow my ATV and tow it behind the MH!
What would a guess at the value of a 1984 rear bed limited in average shape, excellent mechanicals and 6 new Michelin tires and 75k?
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I guess I should throw my 2 cents worth into this thread.

I've had 4 different pull trailers and 4 different tow vehicles. Then I started keeping track of expenses: insurance, tags, taxes, gas, mileage, repairs. This was back in the 55 mph days. Towing- 10 mpg; running around- 7.5 mpg. I didn't need the big 454 3/4 ton Suburban but to tow the trailer. It sat, so was always something to fix. So, I had two tags, two to insure, and they sat in the yard. If you wanted to unhook and go sight seeing along the way I had the pain of hooking all that junk back up to go on.
Then I got my 1st MH (6 mpg) and I towed my Subaru 4X4 that got 25 mpg. The trailer spell was broken. I still have one drive train to keep up and I can pull either the wife's Suzuki or my Miata. Takes me 45 seconds to hook or unhook and then I can drive around in a 30 mpg car. Not sure what my 'Silver Bullet' gets for mpg yet, I haven't filled her up since her maiden voyage after I rebuild the motor, plus she was only running on 7 cylinders 'cause the new plug wires will not stay on the plug!

And besides, when you pull up in a neat looking old AS motor home people come and visit, because most people have never seen one before.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #28
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I've had both, and I think there's a case for either, but it's really based on personal preference more than anything else. It was cool to be "underway" and able to use facilities, but it was uncool to arrive and want to sightsee and have to disconnect, find a parking place and reprise the process each day. (No way I would due a toad....) I'm finding my new Airstream much better fits into the way I travel.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
I've loved RV'ing for many years. Like many folks, I started tenting, then moved up to pop-ups (my last one had a built in shower and toilet), then a 25' and a 30' travel trailer. Next came a 30' motorhome. We just bought a new Flying Cloud 23FB.
As others have said, there are pros and cons for each.
The MH was great in many ways...you can set up very fast and it has all of the conveniences even as your are driving. My wife was ill once while traveling and was able to lay down in bed, while I drove. Our 2 dogs loved the space and freedom.
The big downside of the MH was parking. We like to sightsee and parking in many areas is impossible. The first year we rented cars, but that was a hassle. They we got a tow dolly to pull our Jetta, but hooking up was a pain...on the ground and in the rain. Finally we decided to trade our cars to get a Jeep that could be flat towed. Then you have to set up the car with a hitch and brake unit. It work great, but was a big expense. The car towed very well, but now you're driving a very long unit and you can't back up unless you unhitch the car.
We also had to travel a long distance to get the MH serviced as it required a large truck garage. Then you have an expensive unit depreciating even as it sits and you aren't using it.
So we decided that a TT was better for us. Towing the Airstream trailer is much easier that it ever was for me to drive the MH and attached car. We also feel that it will hold it value better. We pull it with the car we use everyday, which gets serviced at our local car dealer.
Hope you find the one that suits your needs the best!
kdinnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Suzuki toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
I guess I should throw my 2 cents worth into this thread.

I've had 4 different pull trailers and 4 different tow vehicles. Then I started keeping track of expenses: insurance, tags, taxes, gas, mileage, repairs. This was back in the 55 mph days. Towing- 10 mpg; running around- 7.5 mpg. I didn't need the big 454 3/4 ton Suburban but to tow the trailer. It sat, so was always something to fix. So, I had two tags, two to insure, and they sat in the yard. If you wanted to unhook and go sight seeing along the way I had the pain of hooking all that junk back up to go on.
Then I got my 1st MH (6 mpg) and I towed my Subaru 4X4 that got 25 mpg. The trailer spell was broken. I still have one drive train to keep up and I can pull either the wife's Suzuki or my Miata. Takes me 45 seconds to hook or unhook and then I can drive around in a 30 mpg car. Not sure what my 'Silver Bullet' gets for mpg yet, I haven't filled her up since her maiden voyage after I rebuild the motor, plus she was only running on 7 cylinders 'cause the new plug wires will not stay on the plug!

And besides, when you pull up in a neat looking old AS motor home people come and visit, because most people have never seen one before.
Tell me more about your Suzuki toad or the Miata. I am looking for a toad to tow behing my 82 24' MH...it manual says it can tow 2000 pounds. What kind of car weighs 2000 pounds and it towable 4 flat? Thanks, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Tell me more about your Suzuki toad or the Miata. I am looking for a toad to tow behing my 82 24' MH...it manual says it can tow 2000 pounds. What kind of car weighs 2000 pounds and it towable 4 flat? Thanks, paula
I dug out my 2013 Motorhome Magazine "Guide to Dinghy Towing". Out of over 75 flat-towables, the lowest-weight choices are the Chevy Spark (2,269 pounds curb weight) and the Toyota Yaris (2,295 pounds curb weight). But that's all 2013 models only.

I don't have back issues of the annual dinghy towing guide, so I can't say what might have been on the list for prior years, that might come in under 2000 pounds curb weight.

One thing you might want to look into, if the towing limit is based on the hitch rating— and the GCWR of the motorhome is high enough— you might be able to upgrade the hitch receiver and get a higher towing capacity, as long as MoHo plus toad is under the GCWR.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Spark and Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I dug out my 2013 Motorhome Magazine "Guide to Dinghy Towing". Out of over 75 flat-towables, the lowest-weight choices are the Chevy Spark (2,269 pounds curb weight) and the Toyota Yaris (2,295 pounds curb weight). But that's all 2013 models only.

I don't have back issues of the annual dinghy towing guide, so I can't say what might have been on the list for prior years, that might come in under 2000 pounds curb weight.

One thing you might want to look into, if the towing limit is based on the hitch rating— and the GCWR of the motorhome is high enough— you might be able to upgrade the hitch receiver and get a higher towing capacity, as long as MoHo plus toad is under the GCWR.
I was hoping to find an automatic.....with a/c.......We have a 454 7.4 liter Chevy engine on a P30 chassis. What I can't find is the gear ratio. The hitch that is on the MH looks terrible so that would be replaced for sure....the MH itself weighs about 9500 pounds empty.....some people say that I could tow anything....I am not so sure...Airstream and GM are of no help....I have an automatic Subaru that cannot be towed....really like the looks of the Fiat...but again, it must be manual....about the only auto is the Fit......Thanks, p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I was hoping to find an automatic.....with a/c.......We have a 454 7.4 liter Chevy engine on a P30 chassis. What I can't find is the gear ratio. The hitch that is on the MH looks terrible so that would be replaced for sure....the MH itself weighs about 9500 pounds empty.....some people say that I could tow anything....I am not so sure...Airstream and GM are of no help....I have an automatic Subaru that cannot be towed....really like the looks of the Fiat...but again, it must be manual....about the only auto is the Fit......Thanks, p
That's what I tow behind my Interstate, a 2013 Honda Fit Sport, automatic transmission. Towing equipment (baseplates, towbar, supplemental brakes) all by Roadmaster.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
The '99 Suzuki 4X4 w/197,000 miles on it and has been towed an added 60,000 miles, has a neutral in the transfer case which means it's towable with a automatic transmission (wife can't drive a stick) It is about 2900 pound, but tows with eases with a brake buddy(or is it easy brake?) in it for stopping. I bought it new to be the toad and my bicycle would fit into it
My '93 Miata I rescued from a junk yard a couple years back and it weighs in a little over 1900 pounds. The times I've towed the Miata, I've had to stop and look to see if it was still back there (backup camera is on the fritz) because it has no effect on stopping or going. It's so short I can't see it out the back window.
I looked at the 'smart car' which is under 2000 pounds and towable, but couldn't justify a new car. I really wanted to find a 2 door Suzuki Sameri/Tracker or a Kanmann Ghia, or .... Well they haven't make a cool, lite weight towable car in some years, and then I saw this Miata sitting in front of a local junk yard. I took a gamble on it and it's turned out to be the funnest ride I've had since my younger days and a 1968 Camaro that I had to sell when I got drafted (Drafted?? Young people, what's 'Drafted' mean?)
Old 06-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Chevy Sonic

Have you looked at the Chevy Sonic. It's light weight and the automatic trans is towable 4 wheels down. That is what I tow and it works out great. Nice little car to drive as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I looked at the 'smart car' which is under 2000 pounds and towable, but couldn't justify a new car.
Reports differ on that score. I remember reading somewhere that— due to the way the front end is aligned (caster/camber)— it won't tow unless you bungee-cord the steering wheel in place; otherwise the front wheels try to turn left or right even when you're towing straight.

But I don't know that from personal experience; that's just what I've read.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
motor home vs trailers

There were many good points of view in this thread. We too considered getting a motor home but we stuck with trailers ( our 5th trailer in about 40 years of "trailering").
The biggest disadvantage of a motor home that we see:
1. initial expense for a relatively new unit
2. gas mileage
3. parking
4. unhooking water, electric etc.if you want to go someplace after setting up camp
5. coming back late at night from a day out and having to set up again (many times in the dark)
6. if you pull a car along you can't back up very far
7. We can keep the trailer and buy a new tow vehicle if we need to

The advantage of a motor home In addition to what others have mentioned)
1. Everything is with you all the time.
2. The whole unit is cool in hot weather so when you pull into a campsite there is no waiting for the unit to cool down.
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #38
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Reports differ on that score. I remember reading somewhere that— due to the way the front end is aligned (caster/camber)— it won't tow unless you bungee-cord the steering wheel in place; otherwise the front wheels try to turn left or right even when you're towing straight.

But I don't know that from personal experience; that's just what I've read.
All I know about towing the smart is want the dealer said when I was looking at them. They offer the tow plate at the dealership.
When I towed the Subaru I had to bungee the steering wheel to the seat. It did well without..... till you're turning and hit a bump/dip and pebble... and the wheels would turn into the turn. After I'd started hearing the tires screaming: put 4-way flashers on and jump out, run to the car, turn the wheel straight, wave to the people behind me, run back to the motor home and take off. The wife's Suzuki 4X4 nor my Miata have that problem.
If only one could import the European diesel Smart Car before our government had a chance to screw it up: +70mpg and power (that's when the big boys tell me)
Anyone heard of anyone towing a Japanese 'mini' utility truck?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Anyone heard of anyone towing a Japanese 'mini' utility truck?
Mel, are you talking about something like a small Toyota or Mazda pickup truck? If so, my dad towed a 1991 Mazda extended cab B2200 pickup with automatic transmission for a number of years. He had a drive shaft disconnect installed on the pickup that worked pretty slick. Pull the cable and it disconnected the drive shaft, push the cable back in and it would re-engage.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #40

2012 Interstate Coach
You mean like a Suzuki or Mitsubishi?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suzuki-japanese-mini-truck.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	189849   Click image for larger version