Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
Learning about RVs

I am just now beginning to explore getting an RV, and I like the Airstream Sport Model. My wife and I have never owned an RV, and have never gone RVing at all, so we want something small for our first RV.

I have looked at several types, including Fiberglass. I read somewhere that Airstreams can become dented easy, and could get hail damage. But I really like the inside and quality of Airstream, but Oliver and Escapes are nice too. It's all quite confusing! Can an Airstream have problems with rivets or leaks. The Fiberglass reps push their RV's don't leak because of hull construction.

If anyone can give advice or thoughts, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Dwain
Dwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
I am just now beginning to explore getting an RV, and I like the Airstream Sport Model. My wife and I have never owned an RV, and have never gone RVing at all, so we want something small for our first RV.

I have looked at several types, including Fiberglass. I read somewhere that Airstreams can become dented easy, and could get hail damage. But I really like the inside and quality of Airstream, but Oliver and Escapes are nice too. It's all quite confusing! Can an Airstream have problems with rivets or leaks. The Fiberglass reps push their RV's don't leak because of hull construction.

If anyone can give advice or thoughts, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Dwain
Hi Dwain, welcome to the forum, greetings from central Kentucky.

Airstreams have a very good reputation, better than any fiberglass TTs. How many 20+ year old fiberglass models do you see on the road? Will aluminum dent? Sure, but not easily. Is the salesman saying fiberglass won't dent, break or de-laminate?. Fiberglass burns real nice too. Are the fiberglass salesmen saying their TTs aren't hurt by hail? Sounds like horse hockey to me. Good sized hail is going damage or puncture a laminated TT. I'd rather be in an Airstream than a fiberglass TT when there's an electrical storm. All that aluminum makes a nice Faraday cage.

Airstreams have kept their same aerodynamic design for decades. Coupled with a low center of gravity they are very stable on the road. While it is possible for a rivet to leak, you just need to replace it. We bought our 2006 from the second owner in 2/2014, keep it stored outside, no leaks.

Airstreams have been around since 1929. There are many that are more than 50 years old and have been lovingly restored. They are worth quite a bit. Airstreams are not inexpensive, you pay a lot for them, but you will have it for many years and can easily sell it.

When my wife and I were getting ready to retire she said we could get any TT, as long as it was an Airstream. I could pick the color.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote