Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2004, 06:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Angry Leaky Land Yacht Motor Home

I have a pesky leak in my 1999 Land Yacht MH. The water is coming inside above the passenger side window. There is a aluminum gutter/rail that runs the length of the MH and the awning is attached to it. The rail is riveted to the side of the MH. I suspect that the leak is around this metal rail. Has anyone had a leak in this gutter/rail? Could water be going in on a rivet?
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD
I suspect that the leak is around this metal rail. Has anyone had a leak in this gutter/rail? Could water be going in on a rivet?
On my 74 Argosy. It leaked, ran about 8' forward (past a window and rib), came out at rear of the door frame and rotted the floor. POs had put layer upon layer of sealer around frame thinking that was the problem. Leaks can be very hard to locate, rivets will leak.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:47 AM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Clearance marker lights, the joint between the front cap and the roof/sidewalls, etc. Sounds like you have narrowed it in already but you might want to try the "hose test".

Get up on a ladder with a garden hose on low. Have someone inside the coach looking for water coming through the known leak. Move the hose to different places that could be leaking in the general area. Depending on the speed of the leak you may want to wait 15 - 30 minutes between tests and it could take a while for the water to reach the inside.

You may be surprised where it's coming from.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

I found my leak today. It was in an obvious place. It was around on of the roof vents, but the water was traveling inside the ceiling and coming out a long way from the leak. No water was driping around the vent. I kept overlooking the vents because I recaulked them all last year. However, the old caulk came up very easily and apparently was not sticking tight enough to seal out the water. To make matters worse, my wife came out and took one look at the ceiling and declared that it was leaking around the vent. She noticed the vinyl ceiling covering was looking wrinkled.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I hate it when my wife notices something in 30 seconds that I've been missing for two months. Drives me crazy!

Glad you found your leak
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote