Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Las Vegas , Nevada
Insurance

I am having trouble getting insurance coverage for my 1973 Land Yacht. Any ideas out there? I can get regular coverage but want coverage for theft. Thanks!

Trey (Las Vegas, NV)
twstoelzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Give these guys a call. They know Airstream, and they give WBCCI members a discount.

RV Advantage | FCIS Insurance - RV Insurance, Motor Home Insurance, Travel Trailer Insurance

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We insured our '72 with State Farm. Might want to give them a call too.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Las Vegas , Nevada
Thanks!!
twstoelzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have my vintage trailer insured thru Foremost for an agreed value that we both could live with includes damage and theft.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Thanks for starting this thread, Trey. We have had an agreed value policy for $11K thru Progressive for 3 or 4 years now on our '73. Haven't had to make any claims. Policy is pretty cheap. The problem I have is the annual increases in the coverage. We started out at $110/year and are now up to $185. Seems like a big increase in such a short period of time.

I'm going to call some of these guys mentioned in this thread and see if we can get the cost down some. Some companies may require you to get an appraisal before they will write the policy and that can get expensive. The only guy in my area I could find wanted $175 just for the appraisal. Make sure to ask about that and if they require a new one each year or two.

Hope this helps.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Trey,
we have a Progressive policy as well for $25K agreed policy on our 72 International. It is close to $500 and went up this year due to the mandatory premium increases here in the State of NC. My deductible went down and at first I thought that was the reason the premium went up, but it was the increase required by the regulators. The estimate was based on what we have done in the last three years with receipts if required to show. They had no issues in providing what we asked for as long as we were willing to pay.With all the towing we do and extreme weathers at time here in the South to include the hail storms to us well worth the cost.
I will see if it increases next year 2014 as we also have had no claims but will price with other companies just to compare.

Good Luck SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
SL4BLLT, not to get political (really, I mean that).....why are the state regulators requiring increases? Are they requiring new coverages of some kind?

Our daughter and S-I-L are stationed at Ft. Campbell, 101st. I love that kid. Good luck to you.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
It's a different critter (not a trailer) but FWIW coverage on my 2010 Airstream Interstate is around $1K/yr with $1K deductible from State Farm. I live in AK and the Interstate lives in OR and is not used for several months. I reduce my costs by shifting the coverage to comprehensive only (no liability, but it does include theft) when it's in hibernation, then switch back to full coverage (with liability) when I'm ready to hit the road. SF lets me do this as often as I want and there is no charge for the change. The premium when it's in hibernation mode is a little less than half the cost of full coverage. As for vehicle value, the sticker when I purchased it new in 2010 said $116,580. I paid much less. Who knows what the value is today.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Jim,
answer to your question. Every ten (10) years NC has a review on all insurances. Our home insurance went up (9.7%), and we are are waiting on our auto insurance which will be released in June, expecting the increase. The Airstream was too old for USAA to provide replacement insurance so we went with their partnered Company. A pretty decent deal. The rates are based on County, weather (sucks we had a tornado here two years ago), population trends/accidents as you may be aware, Fort Bragg and the Fayetteville area is very diverse.
We Lived in DC for 12 years and on two international bordering States, Vermont w/ Canada and Texas (El Paso) with Mexico and our rates in NC have been the highest.

Congrats on your Daughter and S-I-L. Thank you for their service and sacrifice as a Family. It is a very tough life to serve under today's circumstances with the unknowns of the enemy and economy going on. But there is some greatness to being young as when we started back in 1981 under Reagan, life was great and we didn't even know our economy was in as bad as shape as it was, as we were mission focused as a family and remained like that for 29 years before retiring. We'd do it all over again.
Very familiar with the 101st as we transitioned with them in Mosul in May 2003 after bringing them in after we did the the invasion on March 23rd 2003. Hard to believe it has been ten years. MG Petreaus was the CG at the time and we secured the city (Mosul) with about 50K Kurds. The Iraqi V Corps had capitulated to US Forces and they were working that all out with Mr. Bremmer at the time. A great Unit with Great history.
Your daughters groupings and S-I-L team mates provide protection to the next generation is great "insurance" for our Freedom as a Nation. I know you support them the best you can and thank you for that. They are today's hero's and tomorrows leaders!

Deepest Respect. As always Thoughts and prayers to those deployed and their Families waiting their return.

Best Regards,
SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Wow mine is 554 a year with emergency road service State farm. I better check around.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
I'm looking for insurance for my 88 325, so my wife called USAA today. To my amazement they referred my wife to Progressive. I had to wave her off of that call and opt for another USAA provider. Not wanting to hijack this thread, but if you want to know where your money goes after paying your Progressive premiums, educate yourself on the former CEO Peter Lewis. I don't think the values of USAA and Peter Lewis are in alignment, myself, but all I can say is he will not get my business.

Kevin and Cara

God Bless America!
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
I'm looking for insurance for my 88 325, so my wife called USAA today. To my amazement they referred my wife to Progressive. I had to wave her off of that call and opt for another USAA provider. Not wanting to hijack this thread, but if you want to know where your money goes after paying your Progressive premiums, educate yourself on the former CEO Peter Lewis. I don't think the values of USAA and Peter Lewis are in alignment, myself, but all I can say is he will not get my business.
Whatever!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I'm confused ??? How does a guy who left Progressive 13 years ago and has no role in the company whatsoever fit in with insuring a '73 Land Yacht or, for that matter, choosing Progressive as an insurer at all?
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote