Old 05-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Hershey PA RV Show

My wife and I will be attending the Hershey RV show for the first time this upcoming September. I felt this might be the best place to go to see the most Airstream models. Any tips or suggestions for us? We are pretty sure we are going to go with an Airstream in the 25 to 28 foot range. We live in the Midwest but are open to buying from a place like Colonial if they buying experience will be better. I would love to hear how the buying process was for others.

ChitownMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownMike View Post
My wife and I will be attending the Hershey RV show for the first time this upcoming September. I felt this might be the best place to go to see the most Airstream models. Any tips or suggestions for us? We are pretty sure we are going to go with an Airstream in the 25 to 28 foot range. We live in the Midwest but are open to buying from a place like Colonial if they buying experience will be better. I would love to hear how the buying process was for others.
I believe Colonial is the dealer at the show. You can meet Patrick!

There are many Airstream dealers out there and most will give you the customary 18-20% off MSRP.

Great show by the way. Don't get distracted!!!!!

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Places to stay

My husband and I are also attending. Any suggestions on campgrounds to stay at and your experience? We will be coming from IL, most likely on I 70. It is a 10 hour drive for us. Would like to stop half way for overnight. Any suggestions?
Did anyone go to the Hershey museum?
Thanks
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Koa still has campsites at half the price of most others!!!!

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Where to stay

So I went on line and found most campgrounds around Hershey PA are already booked for the show. Got the last spot in Harrisburg. Little Buffalo state park still has sites with water and electric but it is 49 minutes away. Pictures of the park looked nice. Too bad it’s so far away for us.
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Hi there Mike,

There are a lot of different models in that size range, and they all have their pluses and minuses.

I would recommend really studying up on all of them. Watch all the you tube videos you can from various dealers and corporate. Get a list of questions for what you want to check out when looking at the different models in person.

It is really hard to get a sense of the the diagonal sight lines and feeling of space by looking at a floor plan. It is hard to see the storage space until you really can see it.

One of the major difference you will want to look at are the bathrooms. Who ever is the one who will be cleaning the bathroom should kneel on the floor and see if it is easy to do for them. I am serious.

Also be sure to really look at the outside storage differences, the bed length (especially if you are thinking queen), and if the head-knocker-upper-locker is going to drive you crazy on the 25 queen.

Be thinking if you will want 1 AC or 2. If there are 2 ACs, there are differences in fantastic fans or skylights that can impact the ventilation or how bright it seems inside.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Hi there Mike,

There are a lot of different models in that size range, and they all have their pluses and minuses.

I would recommend really studying up on all of them. Watch all the you tube videos you can from various dealers and corporate. Get a list of questions for what you want to check out when looking at the different models in person.

It is really hard to get a sense of the the diagonal sight lines and feeling of space by looking at a floor plan. It is hard to see the storage space until you really can see it.

One of the major difference you will want to look at are the bathrooms. Who ever is the one who will be cleaning the bathroom should kneel on the floor and see if it is easy to do for them. I am serious.

Also be sure to really look at the outside storage differences, the bed length (especially if you are thinking queen), and if the head-knocker-upper-locker is going to drive you crazy on the 25 queen.

Be thinking if you will want 1 AC or 2. If there are 2 ACs, there are differences in fantastic fans or skylights that can impact the ventilation or how bright it seems inside.
Piggy Bank,

I typed a response but it didn’t post so I am going to try again. If the original post somehow also shows up, I apologize for the duplication. I appreciate you advice on things to consider when buying. I am doing some of those things like continually researching models and watching tons of video but have not considered others like storage placement and size as well as ability to clean bathrooms. I find that my favorite model tends to move around. I am not settled into a 30 foot twin configuration as I like the separate dinette and sofa as well as the panoramic views in the main living area. I also like not having to store extra cushions. I noticed you are from Kansas City. I live there too (Chicago transplant). Did you buy from a local dealer? I have been to both Reliable RV and Bill Thomas Camper Sales. I liked the people at both places but found the selection at Bill Thomas greater. The post sales close process is also important to me. I did not think to ask about it when I visited Reliable and did not get a response about it when I emailed them. I asked prior to visiting Bill Thomas so the sales guy was ready when I came. He showed me their service area as well as the spots they had set up for overnight stays. I was impressed. That being said, price is going to be important. My guess is Colonial will be aggressive on price at Hershey so I will have to weigh a good price and good post close process against a 2,000 mile round trip to buy a trailer. I would love to hear your thoughts.
ChitownMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Speaking of price. What is the discount one can expect at the Hershey RV show?

Maybe 25% off?
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Piggy Bank,

I typed a response but it didn’t post so I am going to try again. If the original post somehow also shows up, I apologize for the duplication. I appreciate you advice on things to consider when buying. I am doing some of those things like continually researching models and watching tons of video but have not considered others like storage placement and size as well as ability to clean bathrooms. I find that my favorite model tends to move around. I am not settled into a 30 foot twin configuration as I like the separate dinette and sofa as well as the panoramic views in the main living area. I also like not having to store extra cushions. I noticed you are from Kansas City. I live there too (Chicago transplant). Did you buy from a local dealer? I have been to both Reliable RV and Bill Thomas Camper Sales. I liked the people at both places but found the selection at Bill Thomas greater. The post sales close process is also important to me. I did not think to ask about it when I visited Reliable and did not get a response about it when I emailed them. I asked prior to visiting Bill Thomas so the sales guy was ready when I came. He showed me their service area as well as the spots they had set up for overnight stays. I was impressed. That being said, price is going to be important. My guess is Colonial will be aggressive on price at Hershey so I will have to weigh a good price and good post close process against a 2,000 mile round trip to buy a trailer. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Yes we are in Kansas City.
We are on our third Airstream (first two --22 sport and 25 FC rear bed twin--were each in accidents and we traded vs having them repaired).
We got all 3 at Bill Thomas.

Before we purchased we also looked at Reliable (at that time they had just begun selling Airstreams I think), and we looked at Shorewood (which used to be in Des Moines, but now is only in Twin Cities), and we looked in Milwaukee since we were there on a vacation.

Our sales experience at BT has been just fine. Sales people were knowledgable. They seem to know what they are doing as to rig set up and walk through.
We always called ahead to set an appointment when shopping, and we would arrive right after opening on Saturday morning.

We have only needed minor warranty tweaks and to do that we called to set an appointment and drove and dropped off, and then returned a week later to pick up. Not fun, but it is what it is.

BT is an experienced dealer. I think you can your quotes and give them the opportunity for your business.

I will say that once you really see all of the various options that you may find it important to have a feature or option that BT doesn't have on the lot. In that scenario I don't know if they are competitive on a factory order or not.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepardstown , West Virginia
As of this week they still have some boondocking sites for $55 night on the Hershey grounds. I am going with friends just for the day to the vendor show and look at the new Airstream models. Was at the Doswell Rally last month but they did not have any units with the rear hatch door on display.

Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote