Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Guesstimate

Does anyone have a notion of what it would cost to have a competent, Airstream savy RV place replace the all flooring and re-upholster a couch and two chairs in a 310 MH?

I'm just looking for round numbers. I know there could be hidden problems which would increase the cost but I still like to have an idea of the best case estimate.

Why don't I just take it to a dealer and ask? Because I'm a long way (1400 mi round trip?) from any dealer I would trust. Or is this something I could trust to the local RV guys who have no knowledge of Airstreams?
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

When you say "replace the all flooring" do you mean floorcovering? Or do you mean Subfloor? What will you be recovering floor with? Wood? pergo? carpet?
I would say a competent carpet or flooring person and an upolstery place could serve you well, these areas of your MH do not have Airstream specific needs, Just quality.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Wood or pergo I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
When you say "replace the all flooring" do you mean floorcovering? Or do you mean Subfloor? What will you be recovering floor with? Wood? pergo? carpet?
I would say a competent carpet or flooring person and an upolstery place could serve you well, these areas of your MH do not have Airstream specific needs, Just quality.
We were thinking of doing the whole MH in some sort of hard flooring. Then adding area rugs. (We have dogs who seem to impart and aroma to the carpet/pad in the MH).

I plan to research this site to obtain a recommenation regarding the hard flooring which would be best and would welcome suggestions.
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I doubt if any Airstream dealer - or other RV dealer for that matter - does their own upholstery. They would just remove the items and take them to an upholstery shop, or possibly an automotive trim shop. Then you would need to determine just what upholstery you want. The range in fabric prices is extraordinary. Or you could go with leather. And then there is the choice of foam, which also varies greatly.

Our couch cost $550 for a better grade fabric and labor, but we delivered it to the shop. Someone once reported on these forums spending $2,000 plus for leather.

The cost of the laminate flooring will be merely incidental to the installation cost. Again, dealers usually do not have their own staff for this sort of thing. There are undoubtedly exceptions.

I don't know that this has been much help. Sorry,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Guy99,

I agree with Mark. I think most RV Dealers not only don't have the staff to do this they would have a hard time fitting you in around their other "normal" workload. You may have more local options and better results if you find a local auto/marine or even home upholstery shop, unbolt the couch, unbolt the chairs and drive them to their shop.

On the flooring, we did ours in a weekend ourselves using a chop saw and a jigsaw. Front to back UNIBOARD (from Sam’s Club) and it cost a little over $100. It's pretty much like flooring a complicated galley kitchen...lots of measuring and cutting around things which take up time. But like Mark said; paying someone for for 16 - 18 hours of labor is where you will spend your money on this

I would think about finding a local handyman or finish carpenter or flooring person (someone who checks out and has demonstratable results of their work) who is looking for some extra spending money from a quick job on a weekend. Maybe offer up a flat rate and see if they bite.

BTW - Not sure were you are located but there is forum member who is a good upholsterer and understands how do make things work in an Airstream. If you would like their information just PM me.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Guesstimate

Greetings guy99!

While my experience isn't with motorhomes, I have had the interiors of both my Overlander and Minuet professionally refurbished. Each included all new upholstery and cushions, new floor coverings (industrial grade sheet vinyl in the Overlander and Armstrong Laminate in the Minuet), new draperies, and resotration/repair of a few other components. The cost is highly dependent upon the grade of upholstery fabrics chosen and to a lesser degree on the grade of foam chosen. My guesstimate for the interior work that you suggest on your 310 from a professional shop would be something between $3,500 and $6,000 (probably $800 to $1,000 less if you don't need new foam). Both of my coaches had their interiors refurbished by Fowler Interiors of Symsonia, Kentucky - - they specialize in interior appointments for Airstream products and are regular advertisers in the Blue Beret.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Couch upholstery

We are having our couch done for $650 with materials. The fabric was a closeout so we got a good deal on that part. Find someone (upholstery shop) who does good work and have them give you a quote. Same for floorcovering.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote