Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Guess it was one of my luckiest days....

While returning from a unit rally this Sunday with Jeep in tow, and after having driven about 75 miles on a back country, rough road, we turned onto IH1604 (the loop around San Antonio).

Looked in the side mirror as I always do when turning, and noticed the Jeep didn't look right. Then as I straightened out, the Jeep was outside of behind the motorhome. I very slowly pulled over to the side and stopped without further incident. We were very luck because there was no damage to either vehicle, and if the Jeep had completely come loose, someone could have easily been hurt.

Come to find out the pin connecting the tow bar to the bracket on the Right side of the Jeep was missing. What the H__L? This is where we were lucky, in that there was no other damage to anything. Disconnected and the boss drove the Jeep the rest of the way home.

The pin was the one that came with the Blue Ox tow bar, and was secured with a break over spring type Lynch pin. I have no idea why it came out, but I theorize either the main pin broke (I highly doubt this), or the Lynch pin came loose and then fell out.

Has anyone else had something like this happen, and if so what was your solution?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Believe it or not I too have had Lynch pins come loose and fall out; not towing anything, but in implements and other applications. I have taken to drilling a hole through the pin and using a wire tie to tie the loop to the pin. In mission critical situations like towing a 4,000 lb vehicle I would defiantly tie off the loop to the pin.

Glad everything worked out for you, and others on the road, as you were paying attention to your responsibilities.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:47 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Glad everything worked out OK in the end, but brings back one of my earliest memories of camping.

As a family I grew up tent camping, with the tent and equipment pulled behind the family car in a small trailer. Most trips got washed out (typical summer in the UK), and ended with a wet canvas, poorly packed trailer, and us leaving early. Whilst driving home from one trip, with me and my two brothers sitting in the back, I noticed we were being overtaken by a wheel. My parents were still arguing over whose 'stupid idea it was to go camping', hadn't noticed until pointed it out to them. My Dad then says "oh, someone has trouble", at which point I say "yes, us, that's the wheel from our trailer".

Suffice to say luck played a large part in managing to stop, but we then had the unpleasant experience of completing the journey sitting on a pile of wet canvas, with the other equipment tied to the roof, and the trailer (and re-captured loose wheel) abandoned for later collection....I was about 7 at the time!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Thanks for your inputs. At this time my plan is to replace the pins with these safety pins: http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...FQ6TaQodKXMARA

Additionally, I plan to drill holes in the safety pins outside of the safety wire, and insert an additional cotter pin so there will be some redundancy.

There are locking pins available, but don't like the idea of having to find yet another key, and then there's the question of how strong is the actual lock. My opinion is they are designed more for theft deterance rather than safety.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Steve , good to see that you are alert and using your mirrors, usually the linch pins are good, I like your idea of cotter pins on the outside, a double safety pin....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
When I was about 8 years old, about 1990, we were returning from Florida and stopped for gas in Georgia. An older gentlemen pulled in to the next pump in a large motor home, walked around the back and let loose an extensive stream of profanity. My father politely asked him to watch his language as his wife and two young sons were in the car. This gentleman replied that he has been towing a Cadillac when he had left Miami that morning. My father decided his language was justified and let him carry on.

I often try to stop a mile or two after departing to give my hitch a once over incase I've forgotten something, but broken or lost pins can happen without warning.

Good job paying attention and catching this before it became a catastrophe.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
SteveH, go to Tractor Supply for those pins. Plenty of choices and sizes there. They have cotter pins, R pins, spring clips, etc....

I upgraded my PP latch up keeper pins to the black ones which are a stronger.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
SteveH, go to Tractor Supply for those pins. Plenty of choices and sizes there. They have cotter pins, R pins, spring clips, etc....

I upgraded my PP latch up keeper pins to the black ones which are a stronger.
Thanks, but I actually went to Tractor Supply yesterday (there's one just down the road from me) and they did not have the pins I need in the size I need. They are 1/2" in diameter, and most everything they have is 3/4" and above.

The only 1/2" pins they had in stock were the bent pins for the class II receiver hitch, and I wanted something more secure than those. Once burned.....
Old 10-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
How about an Ace hardware?
Old 10-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
How about an Ace hardware?
I didn't check. I have them on order from E-Trailer. Should be here in about a week or so, and that's fine with me.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Ah.Yes. I did have this happen but in our case we had no pins attached just the safety chains. My son was driving the hills of Vermont and I was waving at all the people waving at us. Boy,I thought these Vermonters were really friendly. I kept smiling and waving just like the queen of England until one of these friendly people stayed along aside us and began gesticulating backwards. When I finally realized she was not applauding the polish job on our 280, I had my son pull over. There were no pins,my son maintains he put them in but I believe they are still on the ground in front of the campsite we stayed the night before. Met some nice people at the next RV store, found a good vegetable stand, had a great lunch and all was well.