Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sedona , AZ
Post First Time RV Questions

Hello;

We just purchased a 2021 Bambi, which we haven't even seen or received yet. We have no idea what comes with the purchase but we wanted to be prepared before we go to the dealer to pick it up.

I have never owned an RV so the experience is completely new.

What types of things do you pre-purchase before obtaining your RV? Do we need chains? We did have a hitch installed on our vehicle and the braking sytem. Do we need hoses, how many? What are some of the very basics needed beyond the stuff you store inside?

Thank you,

Pam
pamelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to the Airstream family!

Over the years, we've come up with a list divided into two categories...one, things we leave in the trailer and two, consumables. Here you go, we call it our "If only I thought to bring..." list.

If only I'd thought to bring...

Leave in the Trailer
The more stuff you dedicate to leave in the trailer, the less there is to pack or forget!
Items that could be left in the trailer:

o Electrical tester (no point pulling into a spot if the power isn't working)
o 25' 30A extension cord
o 50' 15A extension cord
o 30A female to 15A male electrical plug adapter
o 25' freshwater drinking hose (at least 2)
o Water pressure regulator if the trailer doesn't have one
o 10'-15' Sewer hose (at least 2)
o Trailer to hose coupler
o Hose to campground coupler
o Hose to hose coupler
o Water thief adapter (for putting hose on non-threaded spigots)
o Hose “Y” for daisy chained water supply
o Leveling Blocks & Stabilizing Jacks
o Chocks
o 2' 2x12 board for jack foot
o Lock for coupler
o Bubble Level (for parking)
o Fire extinguisher
o LP Leak detector
o Weather alert radio (now an app on your cellphone!)
o 2 good flashlights w/spare bulbs & batteries
o Spares for all trailer bulbs and fuses
o Basic set of tools
o Bow saw
o Ax
o Shovel
o Roll of duct tape
o Roll of electrical tape
o Bundle of long cable ties
o Assortment of different bungie cords
o Sewing kit (pins, safety pins, needles, thread, spare buttons of different sizes)
o Tweezers
o Nail clippers & file
o Scissors
o Portable vacuum
o Clothes hamper
o Pots, Pans & Cooking Utensils
o Cast iron skillet or griddle
o Mini crock pot
o Hand Mixer
o Coffee maker or French Press
o Tablecloth, Apron, Oven Mitts &/or Potholders
o 4 each: large plates, small plates, bowls, glasses, coffee mugs, sets of flatware
o Bath towels, hand towels, washcloths
o Pillows. fitted sheets, top sheets, pillow cases or sleeping bags
o Comforter or Blankets
o TV, Sat Receiver, dish and cable
o ________________________________________
o ____________________________________

Consumables (check before departing):

o Paper Towels
o Paper Plates & Napkins
o Coffee Filters
o Garbage Bags
o Dishwashing Liquid
o Sponges/Scrubber Pads
o General Purpose Cleaner (409, etc) Windex
o Furniture/Dusting Polish
o Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner
o Laundry Detergent
o Bleach &/or Oxy-Clean
o Rolls of quarters for laundry
o Baking Soda
o Disposable butane grill lighters for lighting stove/oven, HWH, frig.
o Matches
o Bottle of distilled water for battery maintenance
o Insect spray (for around wheels, jacks)
o Surgical gloves for dumping
o Hand Cleaner or Sanitizer
o Bath Soap
o Shampoo & hair care products
o Razors/shave cream
o Toilet Paper
o Hand Soap
o Deodorant
o Kleenex
o Feminine products
o Makeup
o Tooth brushes, paste, floss, mouthwash
o Sunscreen
o Insect repellant
o Medicines
o Vitamins, etc
o Bottled Drinking Water
o First-aid Kit
o Holding tank chemicals
o Patio rug
o Folding Table
o Folding Chairs
o Outdoor Tablecloth
o Step Ladder or Stool
o Pet food, bowls, litter & toys
o Pet carrier (for emergency trips to the vet)
o 50' Garden hose w/nozzle
o Wash bucket
o Portable gas BBQ
o Generator and gas cans
o Lantern
o Books, Magazines, Games, Cards, Crafts, etc.
o Electronics: cellphone, Garmin, iPod, camera, Walkie-Talkie, CB Radio, PC, etc.

And finally, don’t forget your food and clothes...whew what a list! To pick-up your trailer at the dealer, you won't need all these things - but it is a good checklist once you have it to get an idea of what you might need. Some of the "biggies" will come with the trailer...

This list can obviously can be "tweaked to fit" your style of Airstreaming. Good luck and have fun!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelar View Post
Hello;

We just purchased a 2021 Bambi, which we haven't even seen or received yet. We have no idea what comes with the purchase but we wanted to be prepared before we go to the dealer to pick it up.

What types of things do you pre-purchase before obtaining your RV? Do we need chains? We did have a hitch installed on our vehicle and the braking sytem. Do we need hoses, how many? What are some of the very basics needed beyond the stuff you store inside?

Thank you,

Pam
Hi Pam, welcome to the forum, greetings from central Kentucky

Personally, I wouldn't pull my AS if there were difficult road conditions. I don't use chains and would just wait it out somewhere.

Something you don't tell us is what is your level of expertise for repairs etc. I'll suggest some basic things to get you going. You'll find that the more you travel, the more you need.

Disposable gloves - Lots of them, buy a couple of boxes. They are handy for a lot of things. (Harbor Freight, use their coupons.)

Wheel chocks - Blocks to hold the AS in place BEFORE you disconnect. If you're new AS has tandem axles you might want to get some chocks to reduce movement when you're in the trailer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tire covers - They cover the tires to protect them from the UV rays.

Sewer hose(s) (stinky slinky) - We bought ours used so I don't know if they come with a new AS. They are stored in the rear bumper storage. Pull the black water handle, let it drain, close, pull the gray water handle, close. Use the hose at the dump station to rinse out the slinky and the area around the hole.

Drinking water hoses - They need to be for drinking water, not gardening.
You'll need at least 2, short and long for the water filter.

Outside water filter - You need a hose to go from the spigot to the filter, then from the filter to your city water connection. There are various filters, some are disposable and some have disposable inserts.

Pliers - Handy tool for many uses, like tightening the hose to the filter, turning on/off the water because your neighbor took your spigot handle.

Bubble Level - We have a 2-way bubble level we put on the counter so we know when the AS is fairly level. It's small,don't remember when I got it, probably Lowes in the tool area.

Spare set of keys - keep a set of keys in your tow vehicle and a set of keys for the tow vehicle in the AS. Keep a set of keys on yourself and anyone traveling with you.

Outside mat - We found that having a mat outside the AS door really reduces the amount of dirt and sand tracked inside. We got a Prest-O-Fit Aero-Weave Breathable Outdoor Mat from Camping World that's the length of our AS. It dries quickly and folds up fairly small. We got the extra large Ziploc 10 gallon bags to store it in. (be careful when opening the Ziploc the first time or the plastic will tear.) Available at Lowes.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ziploc-4-Co...ags/1000358687

Dust pan and brush (or broom) - You'll need to sweep up sand and dirt (later on we got a small leaf blower for the outside mat.) https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ge-shop-blower

Flamingoes - Gotta have yer yard art https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thermometer - Outside thermometer so you know what the outside temp is.

Bungee cords - We have a number of different size bungee cords to keep thing from moving when we travel. We keep some on the Zip Dee awning rafters to prevent them from opening when traveling. It happened to the PO. They are also good for securing drawers, doors and objects to keep them from falling/moving when traveling.

Tools - This is where I don't know your level of expertise. Whatever amount of tools you have at home, take a tool kit with you. You'll need wrenches and screw drivers of all sizes, oil, grease, rags and some rubber gloves. Harbor Freight is your friend

Water container - Some places are dry camping or only electric. If you go there you will need to have your water tank filled. If you stay long you may need to refill. You can hitch up the AS and take it to the spigot or you can use a 5-gallon plastic container to bring it to your campsite. I have a container.

That's a start, you'll find there are many other things you will want as well as need. Good luck, congratulations on the new AS.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Hi,

To answer the first part of your question, what comes with the purchase depends on your dealer. Some dealers throw in a bunch of "get you started" stuff, some don't. Ask your dealer if they are providing anything in addition to what specifically comes with the trailer. My dealer provided a water hose, sewer hose, toilet paper, dogbone power adapters, maybe some other small stuff. That is what I remember.

The trailer itself will come with your power cable, cranks for the tongue jack and stabilizers, awing pole, bedding, decorative pillows, whatever parts came with your appliances, TV/blue ray player remotes, and a manual set. Maybe an Airsteam door mat. If you have the electric awning you'll get some additional tools for that. I think that's about it.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Keep it simple. You want to learn how to maintain your batteries. That will be your biggest obstacle at first.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sedona , AZ
Thank you. All of this information is very helpful and thank you for going the extra step and including links. I will definitely follow up on this.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sedona , AZ
Thank you, great, this is helpful. Since we preordered the Bambi, I am hoping they will throw some stuff in
Old 07-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sedona , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Over the years, we've come up with a list divided into two categories...one, things we leave in the trailer and two, consumables. Here you go, we call it our "If only I thought to bring..." list.

If only I'd thought to bring...

Leave in the Trailer
The more stuff you dedicate to leave in the trailer, the less there is to pack or forget!
Items that could be left in the trailer:

o Electrical tester (no point pulling into a spot if the power isn't working)
o 25' 30A extension cord
o 50' 15A extension cord
o 30A female to 15A male electrical plug adapter
o 25' freshwater drinking hose (at least 2)
o Water pressure regulator if the trailer doesn't have one
o 10'-15' Sewer hose (at least 2)
o Trailer to hose coupler
o Hose to campground coupler
o Hose to hose coupler
o Water thief adapter (for putting hose on non-threaded spigots)
o Hose “Y” for daisy chained water supply
o Leveling Blocks & Stabilizing Jacks
o Chocks
o 2' 2x12 board for jack foot
o Lock for coupler
o Bubble Level (for parking)
o Fire extinguisher
o LP Leak detector
o Weather alert radio (now an app on your cellphone!)
o 2 good flashlights w/spare bulbs & batteries
o Spares for all trailer bulbs and fuses
o Basic set of tools
o Bow saw
o Ax
o Shovel
o Roll of duct tape
o Roll of electrical tape
o Bundle of long cable ties
o Assortment of different bungie cords
o Sewing kit (pins, safety pins, needles, thread, spare buttons of different sizes)
o Tweezers
o Nail clippers & file
o Scissors
o Portable vacuum
o Clothes hamper
o Pots, Pans & Cooking Utensils
o Cast iron skillet or griddle
o Mini crock pot
o Hand Mixer
o Coffee maker or French Press
o Tablecloth, Apron, Oven Mitts &/or Potholders
o 4 each: large plates, small plates, bowls, glasses, coffee mugs, sets of flatware
o Bath towels, hand towels, washcloths
o Pillows. fitted sheets, top sheets, pillow cases or sleeping bags
o Comforter or Blankets
o TV, Sat Receiver, dish and cable

Consumables (check before departing):

o Paper Towels
o Paper Plates & Napkins
o Coffee Filters
o Garbage Bags
o Dishwashing Liquid
o Sponges/Scrubber Pads
o General Purpose Cleaner (409, etc) Windex
o Furniture/Dusting Polish
o Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner
o Laundry Detergent
o Bleach &/or Oxy-Clean
o Rolls of quarters for laundry
o Baking Soda
o Disposable butane grill lighters for lighting stove/oven, HWH, frig.
o Matches
o Bottle of distilled water for battery maintenance
o Insect spray (for around wheels, jacks)
o Surgical gloves for dumping
o Hand Cleaner or Sanitizer
o Bath Soap
o Shampoo & hair care products
o Razors/shave cream
o Toilet Paper
o Hand Soap
o Deodorant
o Kleenex
o Feminine products
o Makeup
o Tooth brushes, paste, floss, mouthwash
o Sunscreen
o Insect repellant
o Medicines
o Vitamins, etc
o Bottled Drinking Water
o First-aid Kit
o Holding tank chemicals
o Patio rug
o Folding Table
o Folding Chairs
o Outdoor Tablecloth
o Step Ladder or Stool
o Pet food, bowls, litter & toys
o Pet carrier (for emergency trips to the vet)
o 50' Garden hose w/nozzle
o Wash bucket
o Portable gas BBQ
o Generator and gas cans
o Lantern
o Books, Magazines, Games, Cards, Crafts, etc.
o Electronics: cellphone, Garmin, iPod, camera, Walkie-Talkie, CB Radio, PC, etc.

And finally, don’t forget your food and clothes...whew what a list! To pick-up your trailer at the dealer, you won't need all these things - but it is a good checklist once you have it to get an idea of what you might need. Some of the "biggies" will come with the trailer...

This list can obviously can be "tweaked to fit" your style of Airstreaming. Good luck and have fun!

Shari
This list is awesome, I will print it out. Thank you for spending the time to type all of this out.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
This list is awesome, I will print it out. Thank you for spending the time to type all of this out.
No problem..."copy & paste" works every time!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Get the trailer before you get the stuff!

Set it up at home and work through the systems until you feel comfortable and know what you want/need. Some dealers offer kits for start up camping, others have gifts and samples that they give you and classes on how to do things. Start with a maiden voyage somewhere close to home (an hour or so) and near civilization so you can get whatever it is you need. Last maiden voyage, we forgot COFFEE and something to make it in...had to go shopping, a trip that started with the closest Starbucks.

For everything on those complete lists there are umpteen various choices and you probably won't have a clue what you'll feel most comfortable with until you are trying to set up and store stuff.

Example: Bubble Level. Yes, you need some sort of level, but there are oodles of choices from really cheap to very expensive and everything in-between. There is even a RV gadget that had a permanent mount inside and communicates with the driver's phone so there is no need for 2 people (one to drive, one to watch the level) to level the trailer. For years we traveled with a 3' contractors' level because my husband firmly believed he had to check the levelness of the trailer in many places (the door, the floor, the kitchen counter -and he used it two or three ways in each place). An old timer laughing at his antics brought that nonsense to a sudden halt after a mere 20 years. Guess what? If the frame is level, the trailer is level -and suddenly 2 inexpensive stick on levels were all that we needed. There is also a free app for your phone that works really well! You just use your phone as a level.

And that is true for absolutely everything. Take your time, don't rush and don't worry...yep, you'll still get the wrong things but it won't seem so tragic if you can return them. This message brought to you by a lady who bought Corelle dishes for a trailer (and exotic square pattern) and THEN discovered they didn't fit where they were supposed to go!

Know thyself!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
That list is very comprehensive, but there are things I've never purchased. An Axe?
Maybe I misinterpreted your question, but to go camping the first time, your Airstream should come with full propane tanks, a power cord for 30 amp., a rod for the awning, a crank for the electric jack (if you have one) and maybe a cheap sewer hose.
I'd buy a better sewer hose and keep the one supplied(?) as a spare. Most people like the Camco RhinoFlex.
You'll need a hose for fresh water, I'm happy with the 25' Zero G. It should be approved for drinking water. And it's easy to store.
I'd add a water pressure regulator for the faucet end to protect your hose, JIK. They're inexpensive $12.
I'd get some leveling blocks, I have the Tri-Lynx 00015 Lynx Levelers - 10 Pack and they've served me well.
I'd get a "dog bone" that allows your 30 amp plug to use a 50 amp receptacle and one to use a 20 amp receptacle. It's handy to get the fridge cooled down at home before leaving.

Now, we get serious. A surge protector. I have a nice 30 Progressive Industries, that cost about $100, but the top of the line can be triple that.
Consider a hitch lock for the trailer to prevent it being towed away. Prices range from $50 to $300. Theft is very, very rare, but if it's yours, it hurts.

Now you're ready to hit the road, stock up on paper plates or Corelle, some silverware, some storage containers. I avoid real glasses and ceramic dishes.
Have fun.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Since your getting a Bambi you should have a bottle jack (need a board under it) to change tires. Also socket, extension, breaker bar and torque wrench or torque adapter. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0852JLJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #13

2019 16' Sport
Vail , Arizona
A great opportunity

If it's not too late to inquire, I will sell you my 2019 Bambi Sport for 45k. I have many, many extras: solar, extra batt, fat starter kit and more. Located in Tucson, AZ.
ckpaige@yahoo.com
CharlesPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Hello;

Thank you,

Pam
Why would you want to leave Sodona AZ?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Find a place to “camp”.. best is your driveway.

Everything you need for a week can be done in the AS... if you need stuff from house, buy lighter wine for the AS... you don’t want to be moving stuff around between trips. If you “store”, you may want to put stuff in big storage bins. You can leave in the AS to keep away from “pests”.. like towels, plates, utensils...first aid items... you get the idea. You can even move into home and clean everything to prep for next getaway.

Edit: you really do need to know how to change tires, Hitch, Level & Unhitch/secure the AS Before you get going. And remember, experience is the best teacher for survivors
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sedona , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Since your getting a Bambi you should have a bottle jack (need a board under it) to change tires. Also socket, extension, breaker bar and torque wrench or torque adapter. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0852JLJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Great, thank you.

I haven't purchased one thing and I just wasn't sure I needed anything prior to picking it up in Phoenix and being able to haul it home, over 100 miles north. Just wanted to make sure I had the necessaries so that I don't have to hit up the Home Depot etc with a trailer on the back of my car. I have never pulled an RV so the whole adventure should be interesting.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sedona , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPaige View Post
If it's not too late to inquire, I will sell you my 2019 Bambi Sport for 45k. I have many, many extras: solar, extra batt, fat starter kit and more. Located in Tucson, AZ.
ckpaige@yahoo.com
Darn, wish I had known. I already put a deposit on this and signed for it to be ordered.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #18
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Submitted “tongue in cheek”! Anyone else want to see InsideOuts’s hookup and unhook checklist? Also, I might have missed her recommended brand of toothpaste! What an exhaustive list! IF I had seen that before getting an AS, I might have been too intimidated to “close the deal” on the trailer?
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
As new RVers, the BEST advice I can give is to attend an RV Boot Camp once it's safe to start holding them again. I read that the Escapees RV Club was going to run a virtual RVBC. There is SO MUCH to learn re being safe and efficient when using ANY RV. RVBC graduates are SMARTER RV buyers and, SAFER RVers.

As for your immediate question; contact the selling dealer and get IN WRITING, exactly what IS included with your purchase. If you don't have it in writing (emails are OK), the dealer has no obligation of providing it.

NOTE: I believe that the Escapees RV Club created the concept of RVBC but now, others groups offer similar training.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Make your first couple of couple of trips close to home and/ or a Walmart or equivalent. You will figure out what you need and don’t need and anything else will be a short trip and a credit card away.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote