Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
First Three Hours With Our 2005 Interstate

We picked up our very cool looking new 2005 Airstream Interstate this afternoon.

It was a windy day and it handled as well as and sounded very similar to most Class C RVs. That was fine.

Once home we ran into a couple of problems . I opened the lavatory medicine cabinet to load the toilet paper dispenser and the door fell off. Glad I wasn't sitting down. Wimpy screws in particle board.

Then I filled the fresh water tank. The rear doors would'nt close because the fresh water tank expanded and forced the spare tire against the doors.

Not the kind of quality we expected from Airstream for $83K.

BTW that awning is very wimpy. We won't be using it except on very calm days.
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Welcome to the Forum! - Great Forum Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer
We picked up our very cool looking new 2005 Airstream Interstate this afternoon. .
Wow, I am reasonably sure you are the first Forum member with an Interstate - Lots of general AS help here - but we will look to you for info and experiences (both good and bad) with the Benz Interstate.

Quote:
It was a windy day and it handled as well as and sounded very similar to most Class C RVs. That was fine..
I hope you will have time write additional posts elaborating on your driving and camping trips.....we all live a little vicariously here.

Quote:
Once home we ran into a couple of problems . I opened the lavatory medicine cabinet to load the toilet paper dispenser and the door fell off. Glad I wasn't sitting down. Wimpy screws in particle board. .
REALLY sorry to here that -- sounds like something that would happen to a White Box SOB (Some Other Brand) Cardboard and Staples owner.

Lots of threads within the Forums on recent Factory quality issues. You might consider writing to the President of AS with a factual evaluation of the product. It wouldn't hurt, and even if he doesn't respond himself I would bet that your views would be passed on to engineering and Quality Control. If there is a problem with the product, generally the higher you go in the organization, the more likely results are to be generated.

Quote:
Then I filled the fresh water tank. The rear doors would'nt close because the fresh water tank expanded and forced the spare tire against the doors.

Not the kind of quality we expected from Airstream for $83K..
Engineering and design REALLY need to hear about that! -- I wonder if comments to dealers are ever passed on at all?

Quote:
BTW that awning is very wimpy. We won't be using it except on very calm days.
Interesting - what brand of awning is it? Most all of us with Zip Dees have high praises for the awning. Do you have a mounting, design, or fabrication issue with the awning?

I, for one, would appreciate if you could post some pics of your rig - especially macros and close ups of the problem areas.

Hope to see more posts soon!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Welcome

Congrats on your new Airstream, and welcome to the club !
A new Airstream is kinda like a new baby in the family, everyone wants to see pictures and hear all the little details
So keep us posted on your impressions and findings.
Thanks
Don
Old 07-02-2004, 06:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
We bought our 2005 Interstate and were on the road two days later.

We just returned from a six day event at Buttonwillow Raceway, California. It was our shakedown cruise and it did very well. The Mercedes diesel pulled up the hills from the coast with little effort. We experienced very heavy winds for the 125 mile trip, and even with it's high profile and narrow track the Interstate handled well.

Six days of 100 F and blowing dust at the track and it was still comfortable.

The 2.5K propane generator worked well with the AC, although it wouldn't support AC and microwave at the same time. Our driver was able to stay cool and well fed. We refilled the propane tank once, at 1/3 full, on the 5th day.

Since we could only fill the fresh water tank 1/4 and still close the rear doors, we saved dish washing etc for the evening at the pad with hookups. Airstream says that it has a fix. I hope our dealer can handle it.

The bed was pretty comfortable for one or two. Since this is primarily a support vehicle for us we still expect to get a motel room for those who get really dirty and require 10 minute showers.

QC issues.

Over expanding fresh water tank. Fix pending, says Airstream.

Lavatory cabinet door falling off. Airstream is puzzeled.

Overhead laminated wood cabinet doors warped. Dealer noted.

DVDs and CDs got extremely hot, almost untouchable, after playing, even with the entertainment cabinet doors open during the cool evenings. Dealer noted.

Like the LCD TV. Saves space and runs cool.

No caulking between kitchen walls and counter near sink. We fixed.

Very wimpy but good looking awning. Who knows if we'll use it.

Generator exhaust system hangs down. Limits road clearance. Just noticed today while following the already low slung Interstate on the way home.

The RV really begins to smell when the gray/black water tank gets near full. Dealer noted.

The electric sewer waste pump is very nice.

So I wonder if Airstream ever;

filled one of this model's freah water tanks, with the spare tire mounted in the back, and tried to close the rear doors,

played a DVD for more than 2 minutes,

looked up at the overhead doors,

filled the black/gray tank with smelly stuff,

opened a lavatory cabinet door more than a couple of times,

drove it over a big speed bump without hitting the generator exhaust system.

We e-mailed AS and got a reply about the tank issue. Our dealer has noted the issues. Good suggestion 87MH...I'll write the AS Pres.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Talking Kool!

We have been looking for an Interstate to look at. We have seen the Gulfstream and the Forest River versions, and wondering if the Interstate is really worth the $15k to $20k premium. We still have not found one to look at, almost got the chance in VA the other day but it was sold by the time I got there. We don't really know what we are looking for at the moment, just that we are looking

Sorry to hear about the problems, but AS should step up to the plate for you, they seem to have on a lot of the issues with the trailers.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I also welcome you and wish you lots of good luck with your purchase.We stayed in our 82 at a Charleston SC campround last summer and saw our first motorhome on that freightliner/mercedes chassis. I was quite impressed with the layout, and the owners raved about how it drove. I don't recall what brand it was, but it was also a silvery blue color.
Anyway please keep us all posted on your progress with the problems you have had, and future successes and failures.This is a good place to air them out for many to see.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Smile

Update.

Airstream graciously replaced the fresh water tank with one that has ribs and flutes that allow the rear door to close when the tank is half or more full.

They also replaced the warped overhead storage cabinet doors. They're still working on the medicine cabinet door problem.

We've traveled 4K miles and lived in it for 20 days in 4 trips since buying it in June. The beds are extreemly comfortable and all systems work well. We'll probably add a second battery and an inverter.

It is a real head turner. We're constantly answering questions. I could have sold three or four last week. Our dealer says Airstream will make 200 or so 2005s and they don't expect to receive more than the two that they have so far.

And it really gets 22 miles per gallon. The Dodge Sprinter dealer says that we can expect to get even more after the Mercedes diesel goes 15-20K miles.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:27 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!!! Please!!

Congratulations!

AS steps-to those QC issues. AS employees are the best! They make the experience.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
hi,
i hope you are happy with your new unit....from your initial post, it sounded like you had bought the ranch.....best of luck to you...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Welcome to the forum. There are always problems with a new unit that's why the first trips are called "shakdowns". Happy for you and your new Interstate. We are all lusting for pictures..........please........
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote