Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**Fabricated Console**

Has anyone ever had to redo the front console? I'm presently re-building the console which holds the radio, heating & A/C controls. I also wanted to add a cb radio which I use when on the road to keep up on traffic situations. When I purchased our MH the heating controls in the panel were not fitted correctly. The radio had a lot to be desired as well.

The original face plate which held everything was made of wood and in time along with the experience of some of the previous owners, I found that the wood was split. It also had cut-out modifications which I found to be very un-appropriate. I removed the radio and an older type of cell phone along with many useless wires that went along with it. I then started to build a frame using some metal with several holes in it. I started bolting them together like an old erector set I once had as a kid. I’ve been working on this for almost a week and I‘m at the point now where I’m starting to construct a template to use in order to cut out a new face plate. I’m making it from a 1/8 inch thickness of aluminum. I plan to paint the finish maybe in a gloss black and hopefully when it’s done I’ll have a very solid console.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There are some photos from awhile back of PeterH 's dash area where he did some metal fabrication and updated the look. If i find them before you do i will post the link.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
After the template....

You might find when making the template that making "absolutely" round holes of the appropriate diameter is very difficult -

When finished with the template, and making sure it is exactly what you want, you may want to consider taking the template and uncut aluminum to a machine shop with water or laser cutting equipment and let the shop do the actual final cutting....the water and laser holes are SO MUCH cleaner as compared to a mechanical or punch cut.....

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Alan, I think Silvertwinky is redoing his dash console. I only updated my 'entertainment center'. I misplaced all my 8-track tapes, so it was time for a new look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
There are some photos from awhile back of PeterH 's dash area where he did some metal fabrication and updated the look. If i find them before you do i will post the link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	9984  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Mine didn't have a console but the dash that was there was a disaster, wires to nowhere, splices, a 6 outlet 120v power strip screwed to the dash and plugged into the dinette outlet, dash pad cracked everywhere, etc. Over the years the radio cut out has changed shape and size, I also wanted a CB, some decent gauges and a few other updates. It makes it a lot nicer.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-79MH
Alan, I think Silvertwinky is redoing his dash console. I only updated my 'entertainment center'. I misplaced all my 8-track tapes, so it was time for a new look.
yeah thats it- i could not find the link. Still lookin good.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Update dash

Has anyone updated or replaced the entire dash?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Sure did. It was a lot of work but less than it would have been to repair what I had. Besides I got to put things where I wanted them.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dash.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	9992  
Old 01-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Sure did. It was a lot of work but less than it would have been to repair what I had. Besides I got to put things where I wanted them.

John
Interesting, that looks like it was quite a job! Have you got any photos you would like to share with us after the project was completed?

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 01-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The Argosy is my as time is available project. I have finished the chassis wiring but haven't gotten to upholstery so not much has changed there.

John
Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Here is an up-dated photo of what I did if I can get it up-loaded. I know this isn't an A/S but hopefully I won't get "misunderestimated" for it.
Attached Images

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 01-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
New Console

I have not tried to post a picture before so hopefully this has worked.
This is the completed console my son and I made for our MO. We used 3/4 inch oak planks which were 11 to 14 inches wide. These were saved from when we lived in Iowa over twenty years ago and had a friend with a saw mill. The second cut out on the console is for the XM radio. We left it on a long cord so we can pull it out and change stations then tuck the cord back in. The dog house was also covered with the same oak as well as the step up not shown.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Console.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	10252  
Old 01-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice Job! Happy motoring!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Did you trim the dogouse in wood? I see in your photo that it is not carpeted. How does that work out for you? I have some berber I considered using on the front area, but it would not adhere well to the doghouse angles and over the edges.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The sides of the dog house are done with the oak but the top is covered with a berber carpet. This arrangement already has proved not to be the best. I will need to put some kind of trim to protect the carpet edges from unraveling. My first attempt at this was not succesful due to the odd angles of the dog house. I have some metal trim which I will try upon the return from our Florida trip. The benefit to the oak on the dog house is sound deadening, it is increadible how well that 3/4 inch oak deadened the sound.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Dog House Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I have some berber I considered using on the front area, but it would not adhere well to the doghouse angles and over the edges.
This is a pic of the doghouse in the 345 after covering with carpet....

no glue......just a HUGE number of staples in each fold and edge.

The staples are not visible - just make sure you place the staples parallel to the stitch lines, and not across them.

I left the original "carpet" covering on the doghouse - gave it an extra layer of sound and heat insulation - also gave it an extra layer for the staples to bury in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dog House Close Up.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	10270  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

We replaced the carpet on our doghouse and front driver passenger area with the same wood flooring as on the rest of the floor (except the rear bedroom we left carpeted for now). We trimmed out the doghouse with wood corner edge available at Lowe's or Home Depot, stained & sealed to go with the "flooring".

We also had to make some small panels to cover each side of the entertainment center out and clean up the look. For these I used lexan, painted black on the back side.

We also applied foil "bubble pack" insulation inside the engine compartment of the doghouse to cut down on heat and noise. Used self-stick insulation hangers which we cut down after installing the insulation.

Some the vertical surfaces of the doghouse we re-upolstered. We used some of the same fabric which we had used to re-upolster couch and other interior panels.

We were at the BOTH Mid-West Rallys held in June at Moraine View State Park in Central Illinois. You probably already saw most of the work we had done but I'll post some pictures when I go visit her next weekend at the storage lot.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote