Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2002, 04:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dumb question - 345LE - does the gennie charge the auto battery?

Or should it?

I am losing the charge all of a sudden on my 10 month old engine battery. It has been fine since new but I know the 345LEs are regarded as funky this way..but I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on it? I wonder if something has recently gone? Maybe a solenoind cable or something?

I remember something about the step draining the battery too...

Was just wondering if any pointers before I get underneath tomorrow

Cheers

Will
WBCC #8048
1958 18Ft Traveller
Los Angeles CA
williamhenshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
My Argosy didn't, there were only 120 volt windings on the generator, no aux. charger.

Jump or charge the battery just enough to start, then check the voltage. The alternator should put out over 14 volts if it is good. Check all connections. The small 2 wire connector on the alternator tells it the system voltage, the terminals can corrode. The large red wire should go to the same terminal on the starter as the battery. It doesn't take much corrosion on a terminal to stop 12v, make sure everything is clean.

My step is manual, don't know anything about current draw there. I would bet on the alternator, start there.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 10:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
When my auto battery died in the winter, I would jump the MH generator first. Once the generator was running, I disconnected the jumper cables. After that, I started the engine. There must be SOME 12v current going back to the battery from the generator. I know for sure that the 120v system charges only the house batteries. Then again, I'm a MH elitist with an on-board Kohler 7k watt generator. What would I know?
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 11:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

More info...

Thanks fellers for thoughts, appreciated...

I have a ProSine 2000 inverter/charger that charges the 4 DP27 Deka deep cycle batteries for the coach power, and my question was, is the 12v charge from the inverter/charger connected to the auto battery too?

Or is the 12v auto battery only charged from the main engine?

I had a failed battery last year when I bought the coach, and replaced it, which fixed the problem. The way this has suddenly gone makes me think that there is a mechanical cable problem though...Batteries usually go in a gradual decline, no?

Will
WBCC #8048
1958 18Ft Traveller
Los Angeles CA
williamhenshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 11:57 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Will,

You are correct, a battry that if going will usally do so in a stately manner, unless you have a broken plate, or a shorted cell. This will lead to a sudden death. Best bet to test it is to pull it out, charge it for a few hours and load test. If it will hold a charge and the load test does not come back bad then you know to look at someting on the coach. Usally the on board 120 volt battery charger does nothing for the engine battery. The alternator is usally the only source of charge unless your generator works like the one Fred has.

The reason for this is that the diffrent types of batteries (Starting or deep cycle) have diffrent use and charging needs. Starting batteries are designed for large loads of a short period with a rapid recharge. Deep cycle are for steady loads over a long period with a long slow recharge. If they were hooked together you would boil the starting battery dry. You have a battery isolator that stops the alternator from over charging the house batteries so do not worry about that.

If your battery is only 12 months old, it should still be in warranty. I would have it checked and go from there.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 03:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I only have 2 deep cycle batteries. I also don't have an inverter. Life was clearly better in 1990!

My charger only charges the deep cycle batteries. I flip the switch to the deep cycle batteries while in storage so they don't drain.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Due to generator 'issues' this weekend, I jump nose first into my manuals. My Kohler 7kw does in fact have a coach battery charging unit on it (not house batteries).