Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Doghouse designs?

I removed the doghouse from my 280, and stripped the old carpet off it. Pulled staples for an hour or more, than sealed the seams and covered it in a rubber layer. My intention is to redo it to insulate it from sound/ heat a bit better. I have already covered the metal engine access cover with rubber underlayment and that helped quiet the motor some, this will be the next step.

I am probably going to redo the driver/passenger area totally with matching berber to my bedroom carpet, and do the wall area in the leather look that my front seats & dash are trimmed in. Not sure , on that part yet.

If you have a doghouse with something other than carpet on it...how about posting photos here.
Also if your driver/pass. area is different, post a photo of that too.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[
"I am probably going to redo the driver/passenger area totally with matching Berber to my bedroom carpet, and do the wall area in the leather look that my front seats & dash are trimmed in. Not sure , on that part yet."

Alan- I covered my doghouse with Berber last year and do regret it. Granted it was not the highest quality carpet but the Berber just would not fold properly around the bends that I needed it to make. The roll of the pattern or Berber always ended up being at the wrong place. Eventually I removed it, covered the sides with oak and used the carpet just on the top. Now I want to get the carpet off of the top as well. I am thinking of padding it with a dense foam covered with leather but have not decided yet.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Yes I did wonder about the berber laying well on it. I think I like the idea of using the matching seat material if I have enough left to do so.
Then I will do the top in finished cork like my flooring, with the underlayment beneath it. Should be quiet and cool. will post after I get it done. Hope it works out ok.....
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Pulled the carpet off the side wall area and the front cover off the heater core area...lots of staples; took an hour just to get all them out cleanly. Looks like the biggest challenge will be covering the area round the radio in the console, and makeing the doghouse look smooth with what I plan to do. I am also adding some insulation to the front area while its open.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I pulled the carpet off the side wall and found the vinyl coated aluminum that runs thru the living area there. In great shape too except for a few staple holes. My co-pilot voted to leave itlike that, and not cover with new vinyl.
I recovered and padded the board over the heater, it looks great. Now I am working on the console. Took off the carpet that surrounded the radio area, and the cup holders. Might paint the thing with Fusion,as its a bit faded, but not sure yet.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Please post pictures when you are finished.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
I too want to revamp the cockpit area. My 83 310 has the later walnut dash but not the side panels and coach work that fits under the side windows. It has those horrible stretch "map pockets" only. Does any one have drawings or detailed photos of these panels, or better still the actual side pieces they might want to sell. The trim in front of the passenger seat also is broken, and needs replaceing.

I have been told that the front section of the engine cover is removable so One can access the front of the engine, 'V' belts etc. but I have yet to find a way of doing it...Help?

Chuck
Dorset UK
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Redone drivers area

I finally settled on the same berber I have in my bedroom area, and the leather look material on my chairs and other trim.
I had just enough of this stuff to do what I needed to. Sure did brighten and clean it up...it was brown semi-shag carpet everywhere before.
I am leaving the walls in this area the vinyl coated aluminum that matches the living area. The two small handles you see on the doghouse will facilitate in removing the cover, but more importantly they are where I strap down the TV when its in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	18282   Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	18283  

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Looks good Alan! Can't wait to see it in person.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Looks great Alan and I can't wait to see it in person as well.
I too put a small piece of moulding in the front but kept kicking it off when I stumbled into and out of the driver's seat. Now I have a hunk of metal carpet trim, looks real bad.
My berber was too cheap to hold up and will be replaced as soon as I am able, hopefully before we meet in April.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the pics Alansd...great look and an inspiration to me...I just removed about 80 lbs of marble from my doghouse (floors were marble also)...now I'm reallly into weight removal...has any one seen or heard about an alum. or fiberglass doghouse...joe...
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlover
Thanks for the pics Alansd...great look and an inspiration to me...I just removed about 80 lbs of marble from my doghouse (floors were marble also)...now I'm reallly into weight removal...has any one seen or heard about an alum. or fiberglass doghouse...joe...
Would the fiberglass or aluminum be strong enough to stand on? I need to step on the dog house in order to get into the driver's seat and need something that will hold up my bulk.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Weight bearing of the doghouse would depend on the frame of the alum and the thickness of the fiberglass...I had a Fleetwood Southwind that had a fiberglass doghouse that was strong enough to stand on...With my sore knee I step under the driver's seat and then swing around falling into the driver's seat
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
You asked for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
If you have a doghouse with something other than carpet on it...how about posting photos here...
It IS a doghouse....

Mattie and Grace in the back, Xipper, Xena, and Xoey in the front.

Picture taken in the Xilver Xeppelin - '87 345.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pups on Doghouse.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	18304  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Dennis- gotta love those dogs! Cute as ever...
Joe- the metal doghouse underneath is all your support. The cover on mine like most is made of plywood, pretty thin. I added extra insulation over the metal cover glued down, and under the carpet. Rubber stuff used as underlayment for laminate or hardood floors. Seems to have cut down the noise and hopefully will do the same for the heat in summer. There was nothing under the carpet throughout the driver/pass area. Not even padding.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!