Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Dinghy Towing (Toad)

Just finished talking for quite a while to a couple who traveled to Alaska in their motorhome. They were gone for 4 months! Totally jealous, until they told me what they spent in Rental Car fees in towns where the wanted to stay awhile, and really didn't want to unhook the motorhome to explore.

Their plans were to start looking (and trading for) a car that's towable 4 wheels down. No need for additional trailer (and tags, tires, etc) or even a tow-dolly.

Took a bit of navigating, but finally found the .pdf file on the Motorhome Magazine webpage. YEE HAW, Subaru's are available to tow 4 down! But only in manual trans. That's ok, really wanted automatic, but at least I can now purchase a small 4-wheel drive vehicle to tow behind my Airstream, and have a 4-wheel drive car for my move to Alaska in a bit over 4 years!

For those who want the URL, here you go. Thanks, Derek

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/2014DinghyGuide.pdf
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Took a bit of navigating, but finally found the .pdf file on the Motorhome Magazine webpage. YEE HAW, Subaru's are available to tow 4 down! But only in manual trans. That's ok, really wanted automatic, but at least I can now purchase a small 4-wheel drive vehicle to tow behind my Airstream, and have a 4-wheel drive car for my move to Alaska in a bit over 4 years!

For those who want the URL, here you go. Thanks, Derek

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/2014DinghyGuide.pdf
Please be aware that the 2014 Guide is only valid for 2014 models. You need to look for the model year of the potential toad in question to find out if it's towable. Fortunately there are PDF files of the Dinghy Guide out there for several model years, but you might have to look a little further to find the right one. If you do a Google search, be sure to use the model year in the search, as in "2015 Motorhome Dinghy Guide" if you're thinking of towing a 2015 model.

For example, in 2013, the Honda Fit and Honda CRV were both towable 4-down. For 2014, only the CRV was towable; the Fit wasn't. For 2015, there were no towable Honda automobiles, because of changes made to their transmissions.

There are other things to consider as well, including which towing package to get. Roadmaster and Blue Ox are the front-runners for towbars and baseplates, but there are others. Ditto for supplemental brakes. And there's wiring the supplemental lights as well. But finding the right toad for your needs is the all-important first step.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Hi Derek, not a lot of cars fit within the Towing capacity of our coaches.

The Chevy Tracker/ suzuki Samari is a very popular choice here in the S W .
And is a light weight 4x4

Just came across this nice looking one a cole of days ago.

Geo Tracker

Make sure to look into the rear frame reinforcements to make strong enough for towing.
Have you found the parts to get the front of your coach back together?

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Rob Fike regularly tows a 24' enclosed trailer with his 345. Here's a link showing his 345 towing the 24' race trailer.

My old 310 was regularly used for towing a 14' trailer with a Triumph race car. I just beefed up the hitch like Rob did on his 345 and with the exception of real long steep grades the 310 did just fine. On the long grades it just lost a little speed is all.

Towing any toad with a 345 shouldn't be an issue although I would consider auxiliary brakes for the toad if it's a large toad.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Towing any toad with a 345 shouldn't be an issue although I would consider auxiliary brakes for the toad if it's a large toad.
Supplemental brakes are legally required for most toads. Limits are the same as for trailers, because a toad being towed IS a trailer under the law. So if your state requires trailers over 3000 pounds to have brakes, then a toad over 3000 pounds GVWR requires supplemental brakes as well.

Lighting requirements for a toad are the same as for trailers in your state as well.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
With inertia brakes on the toad(Fit) I can say that I don't notice it being back there, acceleration with Fit hardly perceptible with heavy pu is another story, I can feel and hear the difference when the MH takes more time in the gears.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote