We got home on Friday after our month on the road. Cleaning up we found some mice turds and damage to some of our food. The best way to get rid of them is to remove the food and water sources. So I went on a thorough cleaning spree. I pulled all the drawers and access covers to plumbing etc. Found out we also had a red squirrel problem. We were parked under a wild cherry tree at my folks place for about a week. My sister stored their new trailer out there for the winter and about $3000 in damage to wiring, sofas, and mattresses. They had chewed a hole through the bottom plastic belly pan and had a party.
I found a pile of cherry pits stored under the sink cabinets and under the shower. I did a creeper tour of the underside to figure out how they got in. I found this big hole between the propane tank and frame. Its the drain for the kitchen sink and the hole is located under the refrigerator. You can see the light from a flashlight under the kitchen cabinet near their one of their stashes. I drilled 2 access holes so I could clean out more seeds turds from under the refrigerator ad try to figure out how to seal it up.
Airstream did such a nice job of sealing everything else that I can not imagine that is was designed that way. I fabricated a cover for the hole and shot the cavity full of rodent resistant foam. Didn't know it existed until the guy at the hardware store showed it to me.
This little "error" could have costed me some major headaches it they had chewed up the wires and destroyed the furniture like my sister's.
I also had a problem with power coming off idle when we got back to Boulder. The air is a little thinner and is was hot but it was struggling. First thing to look at on a diesel with power issues is obstructions in the air induction system. The diesel pusher has a 12 inch square hole in the rear side for induction air. They cut the hole through the body between ribs and screwed in a screened and louvered vent. They didn't block off between the inner and outer skins giving access to the insulation to vermin. The vent feeds air to a box which has easy access from the engine compartment. A 8 inch hose is anchored by a screw to the bottom and feeds the air cleaner. (I complained about the rough cut hole and construction debris left in the induction box earlier) Mice or squirrels had pulled out a bunch of the wall insulation and built a nest in the induction hose that ended up in the air filter.
I have yet to have a problem that was not a result of poor workmanship.