Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #1

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dover , Massachusetts
Comfort of the bed

I have a new Interstate 24 GT on the way. My question is about the sofa that converts into a bed. There are a lot of bumps and lumps on the bead caused by the contouring of the sofa. Is it necessary to place a foam covering or something else over the bed for comfort? Or is is comfortable enough even with the bumps.
Status Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Washougal , Washington
The bed/lounge is not at all comfortable. We tried a 2” foam pad and that was not enough so we are now using a 3 inch foam pad which works best. It is very bulky so we roll it and it is covered with a pillowcase style bedsheet. There is no need then for making the bed with bedsheets. Just pull out pillows and comforters.
While it is inconvenient to unroll this foam pad every night and again roll it in the morning, it is worth the trouble for comfortable sleeping.
We made a rack where the rolled pad sits out of our way while traveling or when we use the area as a lounge.
Good luck with your GT.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3237.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	394974Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3236.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	394975
Blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #3

Dover , Massachusetts
Airstream bed comfort

I don't know what people are thinking when they say the bed is not comfortable. We just finished a 2 week trip in our new Interstate 24. The bed was fine -- you do not feel any of those bumps. My wife is the most sensitive person in the world when it comes to bed comfort, and she was happy. Don't waste valueable space with foam tops. The bed is great, the 24 is great.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #4

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Abilene , Texas
For our interstate, I purchased 2 poolside lounge chair mats and we use sleeping bags on the twin bed configuration that allows for easier access. That worked a lot better than trying to fit sheets etc on the queen configuration.
Julie Hagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #5

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Abilene , Texas
2021 Atlas Murphy Bed

How thick is that mattress? I am trying to order custom sheets.
Julie Hagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:06 AM   #6

Dover , Massachusetts
It is hard to tuck in the bottom sheet. Not enough room. Put a comforter down for the bottom, then a standard queen size for the top.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Washougal , Washington
It is too awkward to put sheets on the “lounge bed” or even any foam topping. Our foam pad is slipped into a pillowcase style sheet and stays in for the duration if the trip. No slippage. Very easy to roll and unroll and stays clean.
Blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "bed question" was pretty much at the top of our list when we went over to look at the GT. We spend a few hours poking around, with 3 of us trying this and that. Based on a brief "survey" of the bed, it's not that bad if you sleep on your side and are between the seat side "bumps". That was the consensus from all three of the "inspectors"

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #9
JCS
1 Rivet Member

Southlake , Texas
We started with a full size sheets and blankets, but moved to the Disc-O-Bed Duvaley Luxury Sleeping Pad Duvet (Amazon) and really like them. Basically a memory foam base tucked inside a duvet. Very comfortable. They also store easy and the cover/duvet can come off and be washed in a washing machine.
JCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
We made a rack where the rolled pad sits out of our way while traveling or when we use the area as a lounge.
Good luck with your GT.Attachment 394974Attachment 394975

Shelf for rolled pad:

Thanks for sharing this, it’s something I didn’t know I needed until I saw your image. I tend to stack and pile stuff behind the bench seat … and when i open the rear cargo doors … it all comes tumbling down!

Usually we have an ARB fridge-freezer plugged in back there behind the bench seat also. So your shelf will work out great!

Thanks!
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:01 AM   #11

Dover , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Status Bill View Post
I have a new Interstate 24 GT on the way. My question is about the sofa that converts into a bed. There are a lot of bumps and lumps on the bead caused by the contouring of the sofa. Is it necessary to place a foam covering or something else over the bed for comfort? Or is is comfortable enough even with the bumps.
We have the same rig, have had it for a year. The bumps are no problem. What we do is put a comforter down in place of a bottom sheet since it’s very hard to tuck in a sheet. Then whatever for the rest of the bedding. Never feel the bumps. Don’t waste valuable space with foam.