Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Chassis Wiring

I would like to eliminate some of the unused wires under and behind my dash. I'm sure PO have added many wires that are no longer used. I can't bring myself to just go in there and start snipping wires. Can anyone tell me where I can get the chasis wiring diagram for P30 series (chev) 1978 Argosy motorhome. I've checked the library and the Chilton Books do not have wiring diagrams.
Thanks
Charles
Old 04-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2
I would like to eliminate some of the unused wires under and behind my dash. I'm sure PO have added many wires that are no longer used. I can't bring myself to just go in there and start snipping wires. Can anyone tell me where I can get the chasis wiring diagram for P30 series (chev) 1978 Argosy motorhome. I've checked the library and the Chilton Books do not have wiring diagrams.
Thanks
Charles
Good Question, I checked my '77 Owners Manual, nothing there on Dash wireing.. Sorry, Good luck, I'm interested in what you find..
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
wiring

I used an old radio and hooked it up individually to each speaker wire in order to know what went where....then I was able to cut out all that mess left over from that old 8 track player and additional radio (never have figured out why argosy figured they needed two radios). If anyone would want these units ( radio and 8 track) just let me know. I don't really know if they work or not....but they are free for the price of shipping.

Charles
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
picture of radio

It's free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	35733  
Old 05-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I had replaced my dash last winter and there were so many extra wires and wires that ran somewhere unknown that I could not even begin to track them down. Worse was the inadequate factory installed fuse box which caused everyone else to add those wires with the multitude of in line fuses. The situation got so bad that I was replacing fuses on each trip and then started to smell that sickening burned insulation smell. I brought it in to a Truck Wiring shop here in Milwaukee after they took a long hard look their suggestion was to tear everything out and start from scratch. This is what we did. Chummy sat in the shop all of January, February and part of March while they tore out all of the chassis wiring, designed and installed a complete new wiring harness. I now have a diagram of all my chassis wiring. There is a massive fuse box under the dash. They even installed a relay to provide adequate power to the rear air bag compressor and rebuilt the compressor. No fuses blow and I no longer smell wiring burn. Best of all the wiring is now up to date for 2007 vehicles and can accommodate my laptop, extra 12V outlets, a GPS, backup camera or anything else I want to add in the future. The cost was $2300 and one I was happy to pay.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
I bet that behind that instrument panel is something to behold....WOW. I just can't imagine how even the professionals would start in on a job like that. I took my complete dish out and had to fight with the devil to get it back in....mostly due to the defroster and heater hoses (ducts) But now...ripping all that wire out....I can just see those Professional with all their fingers and legs crossed hoping everything would work. In fact....maybe what actually took so long was getting it all to work. Took a day to replace all that wiring and the rest of the time getting everything to work....LOL. Thanks for sharing your adventure.