Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
burglar Alarm for Motorhome

Does anyone out there use a burglar alarm or know where I can purchase one for a XL396 motorhome?
Our motorhome was broke into and vandalized about a month ago and is ready to be picked in Jackson Center after repairs.
I'm thinking about installing large animal traps(not live)for a deterent.
Any help or advice will be appreciated.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I am very sorry to hear about your break in. That is always one of my biggest worries. Chummy sits on our driveway and we live in the city. I debate what is worse the damage done if someone breaks in or the damage done by vandals if I leave the door unlocked. We never leave anything valuable inside overnight. I have investigated alarm systems and they are available through your car alarm shops. You may have to visit a few before you find one who is crafty enough to tailor one for your unit. The cost was over a thousand dollars by time I got each window and storage compartment protected. Then I started thinking what do I take off. Here's what I did and please do not tell anyone it is a secret. I have purchased decals from an alarm company and placed them on my door and driver's, and back window. What kind of alarm system do I have and how does it work? let the person who is thinking of breaking in try and find out. So far so good. Chummy sits outside in this city neighborhood with no problems.
Good luck to you and I hope you never have to go through what you have endured.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Unfortunately in my neck of the woods, motorhomes also seem to be broken in, far too often. A friend in a local unit had his Airstream motorhome broken into, with the thieves crowbarring every electronic item out of the unit, and also crowbarred the basement storage compartments. Like many motorhome owners who tend to travel a lot, the folks had far more that what is kept in a typical trailer.

I think his bill for repairs was $50,000. A few weeks later after the repairs were completed, and while he had the unit in for service at the dealership, it was broken into again on the dealer's lot. Again more damage although not as bad.

To be honest, if I had a motor home, one of the first things I would do is go to one of the local shops here in town, that do alarms for business vehicles. While it may be a matter of a case of who can hear an alarm go off in a storage lot, I'd still spend the money as a potential deterrent.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote