Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question Braund Delta T Antenna

Does anyone know if parts are available for the Braund Delta T television antennas that were used in the late 1980s? They were the "rabbit ear" type that had 2 extendable and retractable rabbit ears. I have one that has a nylon retraction cable that has come loose on one side. Great antenna, but no luck finding parts. I've tried the usual parts places, Braund, and vintage sites. Has anyone had any experience with these antennas? Also, I don't have an exploded view of how the retractors work, only the installation instructions with a very limited parts list - which is not clear nor labeled. Thanks for any assistance.
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Tim,

I have some old paparwork on antennas. I'll check to see if I have anything on the Delta T. If so, I'll post the results.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
The same - but DIFFERENT!!!

Noiva -

Your post brings to mind yet another reminder that when we talk about our AS's we think that we are talking to others that have the same/similar year and therefore equipment or set-up to ours...! Uh...

Ou-contrair!!!

There is nothing that could be further from the truth than that last full sentance.

These "beasts", for all their assembly line construction, and 'big' company "commonality of parts accross product lines", these are for all intents and purposes - one-off-pieces. Great to be a "One Off" right?

Yes, the screws, bulkhead walls, cushions, and water heaters and furnaces and faucets, and the like are mass produced and parts are available nearly everywhere.... but still....

They are unique.

Your antenna is a perfect example. You would think that all trailers before and after yours had that same antenna, therefor there are ample parts and installation and repair advice. Yeah right.

I mean, I HOPE that your fishing experience is a GREAT one, but I don't hold out much hope.... Sorry.

Hope that your experience is otherwise!

I just need to remind myself during every 'AS conversation' I have, that I need to EXACTLY specify WHAT I am talking (Year, make, model, package, options, etc) about because the 'same as' assumption - well, it ain't worth squat in my experience. Not across models, length or even year. Then again I am a 'newbie'.

Thanks for the reminder to be "SPECIFIC" Noiva!

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Noiva -

Your post brings to mind yet another reminder that when we talk about our AS's we think that we are talking to others that have the same/similar year and therefore equipment or set-up to ours...! Uh...

Ou-contrair!!!

There is nothing that could be further from the truth than that last full sentance.

These "beasts", for all their assembly line construction, and 'big' company "commonality of parts accross product lines", these are for all intents and purposes - one-off-pieces. Great to be a "One Off" right?

Yes, the screws, bulkhead walls, cushions, and water heaters and furnaces and faucets, and the like are mass produced and parts are available nearly everywhere.... but still....

They are unique.

Your antenna is a perfect example. You would think that all trailers before and after yours had that same antenna, therefor there are ample parts and installation and repair advice. Yeah right.

I mean, I HOPE that your fishing experience is a GREAT one, but I don't hold out much hope.... Sorry.

Hope that your experience is otherwise!

I just need to remind myself during every 'AS conversation' I have, that I need to EXACTLY specify WHAT I am talking (Year, make, model, package, options, etc) about because the 'same as' assumption - well, it ain't worth squat in my experience. Not across models, length or even year. Then again I am a 'newbie'.

Thanks for the reminder to be "SPECIFIC" Noiva!

Peace

Axel
You are so right! In my case I have to be careful about even the basics, since the 370 was unique even down to the chassis (Gillig), drive line (Ford), and even the air compressor and air suspension system . Very little is directly the same as other classics. Then there's the problem of only 15 produced, and knowing of where only 4 owners are left - here on the Forum. However, this has still been the greatest group of people I've ever shared with. I've already been helped my so many people that I've lost count . Hoping someone will have had experience with this Delta T antenna, but if all else fails, I'll just disassemble the whole thing and see if I can fix it by making my own repair parts. Won't be the first time .

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
View of Delta T antenna

Here's a link to a site that still sells the Delta T antenna, although it's been a number of years since Braund made them . Anyway, maybe the picture will help someone recognize what I'm trying to repair.

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/braunddeltaantennabybarker.html

Thanks,
AIR # 5648
Old 05-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Here's a link to a site that still sells the Delta T antenna, although it's been a number of years since Braund made them . Anyway, maybe the picture will help someone recognize what I'm trying to repair.

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/braunddeltaantennabybarker.html

Thanks,
Well, after disassembling the antenna head on the roof of my 370 today, I discovered that the retracting cables were made of nylon filament, about 1/8" diameter. Impossible to repair, and broken in several places on both sides.

I bit the money monster and just ordered the new antenna from the link in the above quote. Can't believe their still selling these things. Anyway, at least it won't involve a new hole in the roof, messing with the present mounting, and should involve just mounting the rooftop parts of the new antenna. If so, I guess a few hundred dollars now and then is to be expected when owning one of these houses on wheels.
AIR # 5648
Old 05-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Exclamation HELP with Braund Delta antenna

For those who have been following my trials with the broken nylon cables on my Braund Delta antenna, there's a new twist. After attempting to repair the unit, and realizing it was not possible, I "ordered" a new one listed at the link above. Just got an E-mail that they no longer carry the Delta since "the manufacture(sic) no longer produces it,". That's been true for about 10 years ! That's exactly why I ordered a new one from them, thinking they must have some in stock from years ago .

Help ! Can anyone help me find a replacement Delta antenna? Some dealer is bound to have one unsold somewhere, but I've had no luck so far. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated .

By the way, I keep getting referred to the Wineguard "Batwing" antenna, but that would require disturbing a current seal that is NOT leaking, and probably drilling new holes, sealing originals, etc . Besides, my dad had a Wineguard on his 72 Argosy trailer which needed a new head almost every year, and wasn't that great at reception of stations either. Anyone have experience with Wineguards if I simply cannot locate a Delta ?

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 05-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
... Besides, my dad had a Wineguard on his 72 Argosy trailer which needed a new head almost every year, and wasn't that great at reception of stations either. Anyone have experience with Wineguards if I simply cannot locate a Delta ?
went through the same thing trying to locate replacement parts for my old "skyliner", and I finally gave up and installed an amplified batwing. It gets better reception than the skyliner got, using the same amplifier. (tested from the same spot in my driveway). haven't had to replace the head yet, either ...although its only been a year. why you would need such frequent replacements, I don't understand.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
went through the same thing trying to locate replacement parts for my old "skyliner", and I finally gave up and installed an amplified batwing. It gets better reception than the skyliner got, using the same amplifier. (tested from the same spot in my driveway). haven't had to replace the head yet, either ...although its only been a year. why you would need such frequent replacements, I don't understand.
I may have to do the same. The Skyliner was certainly used much more often and longer than the Delta. I had one on trailers back to 1972, and still had one on a 1983 trailer. (Kept braking the lift gears.)

I really don't know what the problem was with my dad's situation on the Wineguard. I do notice that whenever the Wineguard is shown in a catalog, the "replacement" heads are listed right below...Of course, at least they make them! Glad to hear yours works well. At least if I go with that, I can assume the reception should be OK. Thanks,
AIR # 5648
Old 05-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
I do notice that whenever the Wineguard is shown in a catalog, the "replacement" heads are listed right below...
um, i think i can answer that one, most of them get left up when people take off for your next campsite!

i personally have never done that with mine!

i can say mine has lasted since 1992, and i get better reception with it than i do in the house! my house antenna is about 30 feet higher in elevation but unamplified.

john
Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
um, i think i can answer that one, most of them get left up when people take off for your next campsite!

i personally have never done that with mine!

i can say mine has lasted since 1992, and i get better reception with it than i do in the house! my house antenna is about 30 feet higher in elevation but unamplified.

john
John,

Thanks for this news. I'm very glad to hear your antenna works so well. I don't really watch enough TV to care about reception, but I guess it is nice to get a good signal when I do. I have no idea what my dad was doing with his antenna to cause it to need so much maintenance. I've always had Braund Skyliner antennas, and they have worked well except for constant lift gear failures. Finally just took the one off my last trailer and used rabbit ears on the set. Reception was about the same! Anyway, I'm chasing down the last lead on getting a replacement Delta today. If that falls through, I'm sort of stuck. There's not enough room on the MoHo to put a Wineguard in the same place without running into an AC unit. I definitely don't want to move it somewhere else and have to completely patch the Delta's mounting spot and reroute the cables. Maybe I'll have to just use rabbit ears on the sets inside the MoHo ...

Thanks,
AIR # 5648
Old 05-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
tim

before you give up there are plenty of trailers and i'd bet a few moho's out there that have batwings with an "M" shaped bracket that hold the head up off the roof.

you may be able to keep your current location and have the batwing "land" on one of those brackets.

john
Old 05-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
tim

before you give up there are plenty of trailers and i'd bet a few moho's out there that have batwings with an "M" shaped bracket that hold the head up off the roof.

you may be able to keep your current location and have the batwing "land" on one of those brackets.

john
John,

What I'm really hoping for is to find an RV parts store on my travels that has a Delta they've never sold. It does happen sometimes with items like that. However, I happen to have an "M" shaped bracket from the Skyliner I took off my trailer. I'll have to measure it and see if it will hold the batwing high enough so I can keep the same location. Thanks for the tip.

Tim
AIR # 5648
Old 05-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Hastings , Minnesota
Tim, I have a blueprint and parts list for the Delta. Also can you replace the nylon line with a like size from a weed whip line. I'am sure we can come up with something, we have done it before.

Pat370
Pat370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat370
Tim, I have a blueprint and parts list for the Delta. Also can you replace the nylon line with a like size from a weed whip line. I'am sure we can come up with something, we have done it before.

Pat370
Pat,

Good to hear from you again, my friend ! I've thought of replacing the line, but there are 2 seemingly insurmountable problems. First, it's attached to the outermost sliding piece of the telescopic antenna "ears", so I'd have to figure a way to detach what's still up in there and then reattach a new piece. Then there's the problem of getting it on the spools (one for each "ear"). The spools are press-fitted with a cover, so I'd have to cut them apart to get to the inside - looks somewhat like a fishing reel with a cover, but the cover won't come off - if that makes sense. I haven't given up yet. In fact, I may temporarily put the ears back on in the retracted position. I could still rotate the antenna from inside the MoHo. If necessary, I could ladder up to pull out the ears whenever rotation wasn't enough. All the nylon cording does is extend and retract the ears - that's it. If you have anything you think may help me disassemble the reels, I'd certainly appreciate your scanning and sending it by PM.

By the way, still hoping you can tell me where that bracket attaches that holds the radiator hose away from the bottom of the engine .

Thanks again, my friend
AIR # 5648
Old 05-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Hastings , Minnesota
Tim, I just remembered something, about ten years ago I was in Canada and it rained for about four days and the the temp. dropped down to 17 above zero. When I wanted to get on the road I could not retact my Delta it was frozen. What I did is drive it home about 500 miles with no problem. Why don't you pull out the ears and just drive it.
What the heck if you damage the Delta who cares, it is not much good anyway.

By the way have you tried to contact the company in Michigan?

Your pal,
Pat370
Pat370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat370
Tim, I just remembered something, about ten years ago I was in Canada and it rained for about four days and the the temp. dropped down to 17 above zero. When I wanted to get on the road I could not retract my Delta it was frozen. What I did is drive it home about 500 miles with no problem. Why don't you pull out the ears and just drive it.
What the heck if you damage the Delta who cares, it is not much good anyway.

By the way have you tried to contact the company in Michigan?

Your pal,
Pat370
Pat,

You know, I had actually thought of that, but figured it would look rather foolish. On second thought, I could rotate the rabbit ears so they run front to rear - virtually invisible from the ground! Great idea .

I have contacted Barker Mgf. about the Delta, but their response is they have no parts, nor any source of a whole unit. Dead end... (I still remember their introducing this thing in 1985 at the international Rendezvous of an SOB club. They gave a long introduction on this being the wave of the future. Now they just referred me to Wineguard .) So much for manufacturer's backing their products.

Thanks for that idea. I think I'll temporarily, at least, reassemble the unit with the rabbit ears out. By the way, my antenna works quite well. I'm not sure why, but it does a good job.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 05-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva View Post
Does anyone know if parts are available for the Braund Delta T television antennas that were used in the late 1980s? They were the "rabbit ear" type that had 2 extendable and retractable rabbit ears. I have one that has a nylon retraction cable that has come loose on one side. Great antenna, but no luck finding parts. I've tried the usual parts places, Braund, and vintage sites. Has anyone had any experience with these antennas? Also, I don't have an exploded view of how the retractors work, only the installation instructions with a very limited parts list - which is not clear nor labeled. Thanks for any assistance.

I have one I'm throwing away, do you want it?
riverratmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I also have one off the 370LE if you are interested, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
Mike & Bob,
I'm sure that Tim appreciates your kind offers although his need has long since passed. His posts were from 2006. He later sold his beautiful 370 to my cousin. My cousin & I drove it from Virginia to it's new home in Texas. Sadly, it burned up completely due to a fuel leak a few years ago. My cousin bought Tim's 370 because he enjoyed my 345 so much, which I still have.
I just put all new fuel lines on it, again...
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote