Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
AURORA , Colorado
Best Polish For Motor Home

I have a 1998 LandYact that has lost its shine what do I need to do to get it to shine again ??
Big Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You have to give us some more info Denny.

You have a 1998 Land Yacht motorhome which should be painted over Fiberglass?

If it is painted, I would think it is also clear coated?

I know up 'till 96 the Fiberglass models were gelcoat finish, just like a boat. Regular wax was all that was necessary to keep them looking good.

Determine if yours is paint or Gelcoat and let us know before we can suggest what products to use to restore the OEM look.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Denny View Post
I have a 1998 LandYact that has lost its shine what do I need to do to get it to shine again ??
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I would suggest visiting a boat dealer, when I bought my 2000, part of why I bought it was price but how it's exterior was like new. PO owned a boat sales shop and had his crew do the detailing, now 5 yrs later I wish I had checked with his shop to find out what they used.
Where they didn't go was the roof, and the pebbley surface holds dirt, after a couple of years of scrubbing decided to seal with acrylic floor wax, works great, a couple of coats first year and a couple of years later another, only problem is make sure the surface is absolutely clean as the wax will make mud out of anything on the surface and you have to use ammonia to remove. The best thing is that the crevices have been filled with the wax and no longer holds the dirt.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
I'm presuming your motorhome is now polished and looking fine!
If not, we just bought a badly oxidized 1997 landyacht 30, and are in the polishing process, using Meguires products - first, apply then buffing, then wiping off residue or oxidation remover. Next apply and wiper off polish ( like a moisurizer for fiberglass), then finally applying, buffing and wiping down the wax. Not quick, but not as painful as it sounds .
There are many posts about using acrylic floor finish, but we opted for the elbow grease.
What did you end up using, and how does it look?
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Denny View Post

I spent a lot of money and time trying to find the product to bring out the shine on my 1998 LY. I won't list all the products I tried (and was told to try )I will list the products that work and if someone has anything better please tell us.
Buy something with the word CUT on the label. I use meguiars mirror glaze #2 there are more aggressive cleaners you can buy if you think you need it, the #2 seems to be working for me. Then this is the important part (follow the same hour) you use the cleaner with Big White hi-temp past wax I think you will like the look. Buy the way there isn't any wax in the Big White.
Find both of these on Amazon.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote