Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Battery Sulfur Odor

I'm throwing this out as a thought because I have a persistent odor in my RV that I bought used. I tried all of the suggestions you good folks have recommended, including sewer gas, propane gas, holding tank remidies, 360 degree vents, clogged vent pipes, on and on. Just as a last effort I would like to throw out the possibility that the coach batteries are creating sufur gases that may be permeating the MH while it is sitting. Once I drive off, the odor disapates. Can the two up front coach batteries cause a real bad odor? I can't tell how old they are because the seller did not punch out the month and year from the label. Thanks.
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
What model and year coach do you have? You signature says you are still looking.
It is possible but those are supposed to be sealed from the inside. Due to hydrogen gas.

I would keep looking for a black/grey vent or line leak. My vaccum break under the bathroom sink went bad. Anytime I ran a fan sucking/blowing out it stunk.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Batteries can discharge hydrogen sulphide if they're being overcharged. You might check the charging circuit. Old Univolts can due this.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote