Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Greensboro , North Carolina
Atlas Tire Pressures

We have a 2020 Atlas we've used only twice on 'getting to know it' trips of a few nights. Now we feel ready to go farther, longer. We'll tow a Jeep Cherokee, and our total weight for the semi-loaded Atlas is 10,700 so I'm thinking it will end up around 11,300 or less. I've installed a TireMinder system and am confused about the correct cold pressures for the tires. Both stickers on the Airstream say 61 front and 58 rear. The 58 seems low to me. I haven't looked on the Continental tires yet to see what that says. Any advice is appreciated. If it matters the Jeep is 4200 pounds and is flat-towed (the Atlas towed it through the N.C. mountains fine, and I used the paddle shifters to downshift when needed).
Binther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Tire threads are a hotly contended subject here. However, I will go out on that limb.

I know your rig is "NEW". However, If it were me! I would replace all (Jeep and Atlas) tires with "E" rated Michelin's and when pulling inflate to the max sidewall rating 80lbs.

If you are a serious off road crawler, Then something more aggressive "E" rated for the jeep. Then lower and raise the pressure when needed.

My $.02
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binther View Post
We have a 2020 Atlas we've used only twice on 'getting to know it' trips of a few nights. Now we feel ready to go farther, longer. We'll tow a Jeep Cherokee, and our total weight for the semi-loaded Atlas is 10,700 so I'm thinking it will end up around 11,300 or less. I've installed a TireMinder system and am confused about the correct cold pressures for the tires. Both stickers on the Airstream say 61 front and 58 rear. The 58 seems low to me. I haven't looked on the Continental tires yet to see what that says. Any advice is appreciated. If it matters the Jeep is 4200 pounds and is flat-towed (the Atlas towed it through the N.C. mountains fine, and I used the paddle shifters to downshift when needed).
The Continental tires that came with your Atlas are E rated and you don't need to replace them until there are worn out. Then get the appropriate Michelin LT (Light Truck) tires as replacements. I'm now on my second set of Michelins after I wore out the original Continentals. Now have 130,000 miles on my Interstate.

The pressures on the stickers are appropriate and represent the best pressures for your Atlas. 58 psi for the rear duals is fine. I run mine at 55. Lots of folks say run these tires at maximum on the sidewalls - but that just results in an unnecessary harsh ride.

You are however running a bit heavy. The GVWR for your Atlas/3500 Sprinter is 11,030 lbs. and the Combined GCWR is 15,250. Based on the values you posted you are slightly (270 lbs.) over the GVWR with 11,300 lbs. With the Jeep you are at 15,500 lbs. or 250 lbs. over the GCWR.

It is a common problem for Sprinter based Class C motorhomes. I wish the manufactures would use the new 4500 Sprinters that have higher GVWR of 12,125, but the same GCWR of 15,250.

I recommend you get a full RVSFE weighing of all axles so you really know what you are dealing with and stay safe.
https://www.rvsafety.com/
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Tire Pressures

Thanks to you both for the quick replies. I’ve been reading a lot about this, and yes Batman- there are a lot of different ideas out here. But I noticed you both mentioned Michelins - a favorite of mine. Shopping tomorrow....
I’ll be watching the weight carefully Boxster - agree that the 4500 would be great. Don’t see having the same chassis/powertrain for an AI 19 and Atlas.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binther View Post
. . . Don’t see having the same chassis/powertrain for an AI 19 and Atlas.
They do have the same engine and transmission, but are not the same chassis. The AI 19 is built on the 144" WB Sprinter 2500 cargo van, which has single rear wheels. The Atlas is built on a dual rear wheel (DRW) Sprinter 3500HD Cab Cutaway. Interstates Lounge and GT are built on the DRW Sprinter 3500HD cargo vans which have heavier axles and brakes than the 2500 Sprinters.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Oh, yeah...

Thanks for clarifying that. Now I remember that from my initial shopping... started out thinking AI 19 and ended up with the Atlas. I guess what I meant was. The same power train for a much heavier vehicle. Thanks.