Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
I don't think there's any question about the advantages of three point belts over lap belts. At the same time, you couldn't debate the safety advantages of a five point racing harness over a three point belt, but no one's seriously considering going that far.

Just the other day I came across some youtube clips of RV accidents. I was struck by one video in particular that was taken from the dash cam of a four wheeler as it was being passed by a big diesel pusher with trailer in tow. The blowout was caught as it happened, as was the subsequent dive into the median and ensuing rollover.

I'd like to believe (perhaps naively) that my 370 would remain generally intact during a rollover, and that I am somewhat protected within that aluminum cage, but assuming that you don't get thrown OUT of your moho during an accident, how safe are you WITHIN it? It might be worth giving some thought to the amount of debris (aka missiles) that could end up flying around INSIDE your coach during an accident. How much do we think about stowing away, or lashing down, the vast assortment of housewares and cargo that fill our homes on wheels? Imagine surviving a significant crash, only to be killed by a frying pan or coffee pot?

Anecdotally, and being in the restaurant business, I once had an employee of a knife sharpening service tell me the story of one of their company vans turning over on the highway. Each van would typically carry a hundred or so open metal boxes, each box containing several freshly sharpened kitchen knives that would be exchanged at each stop on the route. The driver survived, but not without a significant number of stitches. After that, all of their trucks had walls installed that separated the driver from the cargo.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Agreed, unfortunately we are living in a different time with fast, aggressive and distracted drivers. For me it is more about protecting myself from the idiot coming at me. I almost took the Motorhome instead of the trailer when this happened:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ml#post1883017
You might be surprised at how poorly even some large vehicles do (structurally) in crash tests. Lots of videos online. You might not wanted to be belted to that B pillar in a Slight Offset crash depending on the design of the RV. Angle of impact and specific vehicle design has a lot to do with it. Even large pickups do poorly in some of these insurance institute tests. RVs go through much less crash testing, obviously.

Defensive driving is still the biggest factor. I can almost tell by looking at vehicles and drivers on the road, who to stay away from. It's saved me a lot of grief.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
We had coach seats retrofitted by a professional coach builder. You can get seats with integral three point harnesses which are only bolted through the floor. Our coach builder fitted substantial metal plates under each leg attachment to accommodate the loading.

This would be my expectation to allay the problem. Money worth spending.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Imagine surviving a significant crash, only to be killed by a frying pan or coffee pot?
That made me laugh so hard that I nearly peed myself.
That is the second time today Tony, so stop it already!

Here is my opinion on the matter...

The P30 Airstream Motorhome is build on a straight legged chassis, with virtually NO energy absorption abilities.
Stop and think about that.

That means that the motorhome will come to a stop INSTANTLY.
Everything else will not.
The G forces involved are massive.
Everything behind you, WILL be coming for you.
Cushions, cutlery, knives, tins of pasta, bottles of wine, and probably the refrigerator too.

Vehicle manufacturers spend billions trying to figure out how to dissipate these forces BEFORE it reaches the human inside the vehicle. Once that is done, they then spend billions on seatbelts, tensioners, airbags and soft surfaces.

We got nothing.
A metal bumper, a stout metal crossbeam, bolted to a straight beam chassis.
Above that you have CAST ALUMINIUM(Brittle) cab supports with glass and soft aluminum skins, and a fiberglass dash.

If you are lucky enough to hit something low, the energy might go under you.
Anything taller, and you will be hurt, or worse.
Likewise, anyone in a smaller vehicle that contacts you, will maybe fair better unless the speed is higher than 25mph, in which case nobody walks away.
Hit another truck, and its done.

Roll over, you might get away with it better than a stick and plywood motorhome, due to the structural integrity Airstream came with.

I will be adding a shoulder belt system, and reinforcing the seat frame mountings with a bigger plate, but I am under no illusion about what the result will be if I get in an accident.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I've improved the kids seat positions. What do people think is the best approach for the driver and co-pilot positions to deliver three point harnesses?

I had a near miss on the German autobahn last summer, so safety is high up my list, as is driving at a safe speed and distance. Being sensible, alert and keeping your distance is probably more likely to save you than anything else. Seat belts will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My 97 diesel came with 2 large wide leather seats for driver and passenger, neither has shoulder harness strap.

While visiting the Airstream Plant I spoke with the mechanics about replacing my seats with 2 new 3 point bucket seats currently used in the B class Interstate. He confirmed that the Interstate seats could be retrofitted into my AS. Those seats are also more adjustable including up and down. Mine have the 6way power seat but the original drivers seat is still mounted very high which causes me to drive with toe of shoe on petals. At 5'10...never had this problem in other vehicles so its something that's still on my wish list.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote