Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Airstream name

O.K. I've seen lot's of different name plates but what is appropriate and correct for a 1984 AS MH? Is the individual name letters right? Or is it the driverside one piece molded name badge?

As my unit came without the AS name in lieu of a plate for the funeral home name plate I'm wondering if I can redo the engine access panel back to stock.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
My 1984 310 Limited has "A I R S T R E A M" across the hood in block letters. Do you want a picture?
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
...D U M B...that's me. Asking a questions when I could have easily looked at my owners manual or the repair manual I bought! I know now that the letters are what I need.
The trouble is that my swing down access panel never had the letters installed and it would take quite a bit to line up and get all the little mounting points just right that I'm not sure this isn't a job best done by the factory.
Maybe I just need a new panel?
I'm very picky about plumb.

BTW thanks Guy99 for your answer.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
laser straight line, or chalk line

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
...D U M B...that's me. Asking a questions when I could have easily looked at my owners manual or the repair manual I bought! I know now that the letters are what I need.
The trouble is that my swing down access panel never had the letters installed and it would take quite a bit to line up and get all the little mounting points just right that I'm not sure this isn't a job best done by the factory.
Maybe I just need a new panel?
I'm very picky about plumb.

BTW thanks Guy99 for your answer.
Glenn, why not pick up one of those laser chalk lines from your favorite hardware store? You can then sight along the line to get the letters straight.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Oh I can make a straight line but A I R S T R E A M is nine opportunities to drill the mounting hole in just the slightest out of alignment to schew the letter out of not just level but square. Each letter has two mounting bolts if I'm not mistaken.
I'm not certain the factory has a template to go with a letter set....most of the units had these done on the assembly line. Mine of course got the other option.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Oh I can make a straight line but A I R S T R E A M is nine opportunities to drill the mounting hole in just the slightest out of alignment to schew the letter out of not just level but square. Each letter has two mounting bolts if I'm not mistaken.
I'm not certain the factory has a template to go with a letter set....most of the units had these done on the assembly line. Mine of course got the other option.
Set the letters on the line made by the laser, and mark the bolt locations on the hood with an indelible pencil, or sharpie marker. Then drill your holes. Piece of cake.BTW, the "T" should be centered right to left on the hood. You can measure from that.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I'm not saying I won't try it but with my luck and nine letters I may need to wobble out a few holes to get 'em all lined up right. After all 9 letters 2 mount bolts per letter.... one handicapped DIY'er...and you've got the potential to make a real mess of a nice RV...he...he..he..
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I'm not saying I won't try it but with my luck and nine letters I may need to wobble out a few holes to get 'em all lined up right. After all 9 letters 2 mount bolts per letter.... one handicapped DIY'er...and you've got the potential to make a real mess of a nice RV...he...he..he..
Just remember to put the letters on right-side-up, and you'll be fine!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Glen, where did you get your letters? As you can see from the pic below, I need an "M". I placed an ad here in the classifieds, but no luck yet.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Namesake 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	16024  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Give me an EM!!

Jim & Susan, sorry to say that I've not found any letters yet. Have you checked with the factory? I assumed they would be an available part or more likely a full kit.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-05-2005, 06:42 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Jim & Susan, sorry to say that I've not found any letters yet. Have you checked with the factory? I assumed they would be an available part or more likely a full kit.
Glen, as I was sitting here reading my coffee, and drinking the forum, er, umm, never mind.
Anyway, if you have to get used letters, chances are good that some of the mounting tabs will get broken off while removing them. I was thinking, a dangerous pursuit for me, and I thouhgt maybe you can just get 3M Plastic and Emblem adhesive, and glue the letters on. No drilling required, just nip off the lugs on the back of the letters. Another plus is, if you get a letter a little crooked, you have an opportunity to shift it a bit, without redrilling the holes. Also, the glue is clear, and dries clear, so if you get a little outside the letters, and don't get it wioped off before it dries, chances are very good no one will ever notice .
Old 11-05-2005, 07:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Glen,
How about a nameplate already spaced. Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply, formerly Airstream Dreams has this name plate and others. You can also talk to him abou the letters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VTS-149-2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	16035  
Old 11-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
This brings up a good point...what years had what nameplates. Is there a site that will tell you?
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Nameplate Years

The etched deco lettering plate that Kent shows is from the 1940s up through 1960. Most years had it painted blue, but some had no paint and a few seem to have had black paint.

This was followed by the larger etched blue plate (not deco) from 1961 to 1968. As with all things Airstream, there was a little overlap at the transition years Some 1968 trailers have the 1969+ individual cast letters.

Another nuance to the 1960s etched plates is that the California trailers generally did not have pre-drilled rivet holes in the plates and they were generally attached with 8 rivets. The Ohio trailers used a predrilled plate that had 6 rivets. Go figure.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I actually got around to calling Airstream this a.m. and got a part number for a set of stick on letters for a 1991 motorhome. I've got my local AS dealer calling for a price.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach