Originally Posted by tony6373
The resistor sure looks like the adjuster for the old style trailer (or towed) brake actuator. These nearly 30 year old M/Hs have usually seem some modifications in there lifetime. I have found some patch work behind my dash also. I'm planning a radio upgrade, tire pressor monitor and rear view camera so please keep us informed of your progress.
Just got my 270 back from the Rush Truck Center where it had it's fluids changed. The Allison transmission seems to shift much more aggressively!
I would never have figured that out, I had been ignoring the manual pages for tag axle info.
It is in there on page 29. I would guess by the way the wires were just dangling under the dash, at one time it had a brake controller.
One thing that threw me off was that the ground for the CB radio went to the bottom screw of that resistor, which I am guessing is ground. I don.t know why they did not wire it to a ground under the dash. The +12 for the CB was crudely spliced into the power wire off of the wiper switch.
Thanks for helping me with that!
With the temps back above freezing I was able to do some more wiring behind the dash. I have finished the dash, I just need to fix up the rats nest of wires behind it. Since I have access to surplus gear, I am installing connectors to make future dash removal easier.
I will do a proper writeup of my work when it is complete.
For a quick update, from left to right:
1) Since I installed LED's to replace the dash bulbs, I installed a separate dimmer control between the light & wiper switch.
2) The old speedometer worked but the glass was dirty inside making it hard to see. I did manage to open it and clean it, and I would have installed it but I found a new one with trip odometer cheap enough to go for it.
3) I use to have the TPMS power wire going to the left lighter outlet. I drilled a small hole in the dash and I am powering it off of the ignition power now.
4) All of the indicator lights have also been converted to LED and the Aux heater switch has been converted to the power switch for my cameras. Rear view and Right mirror view.
5) The heater/AC control was broken up, I found a replacement online that fit perfect.
6) I added a indoor outdoor Thermometer/Clock to replace the old LED clock. It also has battery voltage, that I hooked to the Coach battery to monitor it.
7) I cut a single height din slot where the original radio was. I bought a Pyle PLBT72G, it is a inexpensive unit for what it does. It has a pop out video screen with built in GPS and Rear view camera display. I angled it slightly to hopefully give a better viewing angle from the drivers seat. (In the picture, the faceplate has not been installed yet.
All of it untested, so I hope it works out.