Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

19' or 23' for Trailer Newbie?

Hi everyone,

Complete newbie here. I've been dreaming of living on the road for a few years and it looks like the stars may soon be aligning. Being here, I guess its noticeable that I've decided on an Airstream quite a while ago and I've been leaning towards a 19'.

I'll start by giving some quick background - live in Canada, 2015 hope to live on the road May to October, never owned a trailer, used to (and like) living in small spaces and close to the outdoors and would love if I eventually could full time in an Airstream. I don't see myself as constantly being on the road, if I find a place I like I can easily see myself setting up shop and staying for a year (connected).

Being new to the trailer thing, but feeling a 16 isn't enough for me, the 19 seemed like a reasonable balance between big enough and not too hard to tow. I'm a city guy and I'm worried about being a bit of a boob when it comes to towing. On the other hand, when I look at the 23's, the size is just perfect for me and don't seem a heck of a lot more money in the long run.

My question is for any other former boobs out there...is there a big difference between a 19' and a 23'? Assume the tow vehicle (Land Rover) is capable of the weight of course (GVWR 19'=4500lbs, 23'=6000lbs, tow=7000lbs). How quickly will I get used to it? I'm not a speed demon by any means. I just want to get there alive (and everyone behind me alive!).

I've read the shorter wheel base of the Land Rover can cause problems. Then I've also read of specialized hitches that can offset some of those problems (sway, etc). Is the longer wheelbase of a truck the main reason it is more stable a tow vehicle?

I guess it boils down to: Can a newbie comfortably tow a 23' AS with a Land Rover? Can a newbie comfortably tow a 23' AS with a truck?

Thanks!
gstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Ultimately it will all be your decision based on your needs and likes. However, if I were considering anything longer than weekend trips, I would get the biggest trailer I was comfortable with. There are also benefits of the tandem axle trailer over the single axle, and there are several threads here that you should read.

Whatever tow vehicle you use, I do recommend you get some experienced friend to help set up a good, anti-sway, weight distribution hitch. Do not rely only on the dealer, unless it is Can-Am in London, Ontario. You will not have any trouble getting used to towing, just take it easy and you will catch on quickly.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
For full time living the 23' is a much better choice. You can trade in your tow vehicle much easier than your living space. If you find the Land Rover to not be up to your requirements and driving stile you will have a much better idea of what you need when you have some experience.

Of course the same could be said about the trailer selection, learn and trade up if needed, but for full time living the 19' just is too small in my opinion.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Agree, the 19 is pretty tight if you are in it for a year. Assuming you live alone, the 23 should give you enough space. The two of us travel with our 25 for 6 to 7 months each year, spend most of the day outdoors.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreamer View Post
Hi everyone,.... I don't see myself as constantly being on the road, if I find a place I like I can easily see myself setting up shop and staying for a year (connected).

Being new to the trailer thing, but feeling a 16 isn't enough for me, the 19 seemed like a reasonable balance between big enough and not too hard to tow. I'm a city guy and I'm worried about being a bit of a boob when it comes to towing. ...

Thanks!
Gee, I must have sounded just like this back in 2005. Reader's Digest version of my story - bought a 22 CCD and a year later traded it in for a 2006 Safari 25 FB. If you're going to fulltime, a 23 is about as small as you'd ever want to go, and a 25 or even a 27 would not be "small". You might find that you'll just save a lot of money by NOT having to move up.

So - forget about not knowing how to tow, you learn with whatever you have to tow. Of course you could rent a big utility trailer and practice with that before you risk an expensive Airstream to the learning process.

Tow vehicles? Well people who really like their Airstreams keep them for 10 to 20 years... Tow vehicles come and go, so get the Airstream you need to live in, then find the tow vehicle that will pull it to your satisfaction.

Oh, and try to buy gently used for the first one if you can. Yet another $15K to $20K in your pocket.

Paula
Old 12-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I was so settled on a 19', it just seems so efficient...no un-needed space, and there is enough space for my things... But I think you guys are right, the pros for a 23 seem to be adding up, I don't want to feel confined even though I do plan on spending a lot of time outdoors.

Then again, if I accept your arguments...I might as well get a 30'! Think I'll need to head to the dealership...

Thanks for your tips everyone!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I use a 19' sets me just fine. I did see a great 27' in the classified, for 56k I would love to jump on, check it out. With taxes and such cheaper o just go big now,
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
It doesn't take long to become very comfortable towing an AS. We started with an older Safari 25, then went to a new 25 Flying Cloud front bedroom. My opinion is that a 25 is the perfect length. We use a full size truck to pull our trailer, but half ton trucks and SUVs are equally appropriate. We often have a small camper on when we travel, so the bigger truck is best for us.

Read over the threads to glean information about solar, common issues, weight distribution hitches, and other helpful information. There are tons of opinions, so ultimately it's your decision.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
I was so settled on a 19', it just seems so efficient...no un-needed space, and there is enough space for my things... But I think you guys are right, the pros for a 23 seem to be adding up, I don't want to feel confined even though I do plan on spending a lot of time outdoors.

Then again, if I accept your arguments...I might as well get a 30'! Think I'll need to head to the dealership...

Now you're talking! I like the version with the recliners! Even as a single, one does have company from time to time. And if you're working from the trailer - think of it as your mobile office too. Something that CAN BE presentable to an employer/customer or subject of a story?

Paula
Old 12-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
For whatever reason (trading up, etc) 19's reportedly have the highest rate of owner turnover and it seems to be reflected in lower resale values.

I'm stubborn and determined to get a 16' for adventure travel. But If I was looking to full time, I think I'd start by looking at at at 25' to 28'. Full Size beds, front and back panorama windows with the dinette in the window area. Close off the bedroom which you can't in a 22. Proper shower and bath, closet, lounge area with sofa. Big tanks. Great Kitchen and sleeps 5-6 (cozy).

When you're at 23 feet, what's 2-3 more ?

Actual Sale prices on the used Bigger trailers seem relatively reasonable too as the market is limited in who can tow and store, vs the 16's. Also, I think those who can afford the huge TV, often just buy new.

Past 28' is a mental barrier for me.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Yeah, since posting this and rethinking things, the 25 is making more sense. The hesitation with towing something large was what drove my earlier decision. Over on the Land Rover forums they suggest something shorter, but you're right that I shouldn't let the tow vehicle be the deciding factor.

Actually now that I think of it, the 25' is 300lbs over the tow capacity of the Land Rover so I'd need to look at a different vehicle....

I still need to figure out about winter. Do any Canadians live in their A/S through the winter in sub-zero parts of the country (anywhere except BC)? A bit off topic,
Old 12-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
my girlfriend and I went back-and-forth on this very same thing and we are newbies as well. we opted for the 19th and are so happy. now we don't plan on spending seven months on the road and with us to two dogs and a baby we would've definitely got a larger one if that was our lifestyle so we just like to go camping for 3 to 5 days would you like to spend a lot of time outdoors for the 19 is perfect for us. let me add by saying that if you're going to be 23 get a 25 front bed instead. you will not notice the exit 2 feet that you have to toe and the bed configuration is way better than a 23
jackb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If you've never towed anything before, make sure to:
  • ALWAYS SIGNAL! Remember, turn signals are to signal what you are going to do, not what you are doing or, in fact, have already done. (Don't you love it when someone puts on their signal when they already have a wheel in your lane or are actively turning?)
  • watch your clearance. Not all gas stations, trees etc. are tall enough to allow safe passage
  • watch your 'pull through' space. Gas stations, fast food etc don't always have the room to allow you to get around obstacles
  • get some good side view mirrors. Most car and SUV mirrors don't stick out far enough to allow you to see your AS sides, lanes, etc.
  • your travel partner will be your backup ground guide, or plan on a camera on the back of the AS
  • watch your speed, don't try to keep up with traffic and try not to get rattled. if you go slower on the Interstates it makes it easier for others to pass you. on 2-lane roads, use the slow lanes on hills, maybe plan on pulling over in a parking lot if you have a lot of cars behind you.
  • keep your distance from the vehicle in front of you, lots if possible
  • practice backing up. practice driving. practice turning. practice stopping
I pull a 23' AS with my 4Runner. I have pulled a LOT of boats, U-Haul trailers and a flat bed or two, with and without trailer brakes. The AS was somewhat scary at first but with a few trips under my belt, I'm feeling better. The biggest issue for me has been visibility. It's hard to see down the sides of the trailer and backing up (either to hitch up or park) is especially challenging. I think my next big purchase will be a couple of cameras for the TV.

For the trailer size, we've been happy with the 23' except for the rear corner bed. Next trailer will definitely have room on the sides instead of being up against the walls. Bathroom toilet is very tight too. I'm only 5'7" and my knees are up against the wall and door.

I think you have to determine what your travel plans are. Are you going somewhere and sit for a couple of months or are you going to be 'on the go' to see as much as you can on your journey. The 23' tows easily and has enough room for us. We plan on staying no more than 2-3 weeks in a single spot.

Lay on the bed, sit on the toilet, stand in the shower and try walking around the inside with your travel partner. Now think about living like that; comfortable?

Good luck, take your time and always be safe no matter what you do. Think things through. I've always found that the first solution is usually not the best one.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Big Spring , Texas
If you decide to get a different towing vehicle, check out the Ford F150 with V-6 ecoboost engine and towing package. We have one and it totally out performs our earlier F150 (2008 with Triton V-8). On a flat road with minimal head wind, we can cruise at 65mph and tach about 1500rpm. This will achieve mpg of about 15, so really good for towing a 4500 lb + trailer. As for trailer size, we regret not going with the smallest double-axle, after buying a 19' single axle Bambi. It is an excellent trailer, but for two people, the added few feet and larger main bed would have been nicer.
jgsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Funny how the 20ft FC has not been mentioned much (at all?) in this thread. GStreamer...go check it out...large bed and great galley...the two more important aspects of spending prolonged periods in an RV. Very easy to tow...check it out. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Gstreamer... you did not say new or used...

There are plenty of minimally used Airstreams in the 23 to 25 foot lengths. Some may be a year old to five years. The biggest year of depreciation is the FIRST YEAR and if the Trailer is still under warranty... get the 25 foot.

We used a 23 foot for 8 years. Double Axle. But 14 inch tires is the ONLY negative.

We, after 8 years, moved up to a 25 footer. Looked at new and used larger than 25 foot to 30 feet... no advantage for our kind of camping. The resale of a 23 or 25 foot Airstream is excellent and after five years the trailer can be sold, not by age, but by upkeep and overall condition.

The 25 foot has a larger refrigerator and the new models have all LED lighting. Excellent brightness and power savers off the grid.

NONE of these trailers are worthy of Winter Living. Look at a trailer as just a large ice box...

A Land Rover... We watched a Range Rover pulling a 30 foot Airstream in Nevada this Summer. About 45 to 55mph, maximum. We passed and met up at a service station south of Pioche, Nevada. This gal could handle it! Full timer in Arizona, finished an advanced degree and was heading back to Idaho.

Trade the Land Rover in for a Crew Cab 4x4 pickup and put a shell over the bed. Get the 5.7L engine. Better gasoline mileage than the 4.7L. I know, had them all.

The 23 footer is several inches shorter in height at 9 feet 5 inches and our current new 25 footer is 9 feet 7 inches. The 23 foot is narrower by six inches in width and a smaller refrigerator. YOU will notice the smaller volume of refrigerators...if you are wondering. The 2015 25 footer is now 9 feet 9 inches... so if you have a RV garage like us, our 10 foot clearance is getting a bit tight!

Engine size and ELEVATION are important for us. We live at 6,500 feet and usually are camped at 6,000 to 8,500 feet. At least your elevation is low enough not to be much of an issue.

Ultimate for ME. 25 foot with a 5.7L 4x4 pickup with shell over bed.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

You took a very popular route there, from 19 to 30', in quite a short bound. It took us more than a week to get there!

Seriously, while I have seen many people either buy longer Airstreams or publicly wish they had, I have yet to see the opposite.

Welcome to Air Forums, and have fun on your visit to Can-Am RV. They always have several rigs of various sizes set up and ready to drive, so be sure to leave lots of room to look around and test drive.

And no, I don't work for them.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #18

2012 19' International
Portland , Oregon
No one has mentioned length limits. We have a 19' in which we have spent 2.5 happy months with our cat. We would have been shut out of some pretty awesome spots, if we had picked a longer model.

Based on comments we have read here, we also are realizing our propane lasts longer and so do our batteries with less space. If you enjoy more primitive camping, this is an important consideration.

We call the back of our tow vehicle our attic. Here we store excess clothes, food, tools, fresh water, etc. It's easy access and works really well for us.

The only time we wish we had more space is when we have a couple over for dinner and can't dine outside because it's raining, too cold or too dark. Dining and food prep get pretty tight. But, for two, who work together well, it works fine.

The corner bed setup isn't an issue for a single person, and your post implies you are a single traveler. At 80, I probably won't want to climb over my partner for a midnight bathroom trip, but, for now (53), I'm just fine with it.
tpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Thanks a lot everyone. This thread has been very helpful for me. With the way things stand now, I've pretty much eliminated the 23' in my decision and it's between the 25' and 19' (but at this point I think I'm only keeping the 19' in the race because I always wanted one). I dont know why I can't stop liking that little 19'er. I'm open to new or used and keeping my eyes open to both - if I bought used, I'd be looking for something fairly recent as suggested.

Thanks for the towing tips! I'd like to think a few of them are common sense but I could just as easily be that guy who gets his A/S stuck at the drive through window! I'm 37 and 5'11, so if your knees are hitting at 5'7, I'd probably have to crack open the door. This alone is a major reason I've moved to the 25' (or the 20').

I'm kind of at a loss in the tow vehicle department. Like I said, I don't mind going slow, and I really want something with as good fuel efficiency as possible (when I'm not towing). The Land Rover though terribly fuel efficient is a vehicle I would drive "around" without the A/S. But it's probably scrapped from the plan. I was looking over on Canamrv and they have videos of people towing A/S with Jaguars and Mini's!? What's the deal with that? Though I wouldn't get either of those, if I could get a fuel efficient car, and only towed 3000km or so in a year - would I be ok? Both those cars are definitly towing over capacity (as is the example of the lady above towing a 30' with the Land Rover) - is the tow rating just a recommendation which can be ignored if you have a specialized professionally installed hitch? It's not illegal?

So I guess this thread is closed haha - 19 or 23'? Nope...25'! lol

Thanks again to everyone for their help and being welcomed to the forum!

PS: I do like the 20' - but I wish they made an International version. It's not out of the question and thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
At the risk of sounding like a salesman, it is a rare day when after a year or so, a customer returns to the dealer and says "oh, I wish I had gone smaller", on the other hand, the same dealer regularly witnesses their customers returning to trade-up...like all of you new friends above said, go as big as you can comfortably and safely tow, and afford- you'll be glad you did...

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote