Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #1

1961 16' Bambi
Westminster , Colorado
Question In need of help with wiring!

My husband and I recently purchased a 1961 Bambi. We're so excited, but having a rough time with the wiring for towing. The guy that owned it before us rigged something up, but it doesn't work. We're going from the Bambi's 6 wire setup to a standard 4 way connector. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mrs. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. C View Post
My husband and I recently purchased a 1961 Bambi. We're so excited, but having a rough time with the wiring for towing. The guy that owned it before us rigged something up, but it doesn't work. We're going from the Bambi's 6 wire setup to a standard 4 way connector. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Mrs.C; The four pin plug on your tow vehicle has to be replaced with seven pin connector plug to match the one on your Bambi. Four pin connector serves only one left and one right turn signal. Third wire is used for marker [running lights] and fourth is ground. You need electric brake wire, and backup [reverse] lamps. Some use a seventh wire to bring charge to the trailer battery from tow vehicle's alternator. Be careful and determine wiring code arrangement first. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Plug needs to be replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. C View Post
We're going from the Bambi's 6 wire setup to a standard 4 way connector. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You do need to stay with the six wire plug system. The four wire plug does not have brakes.

Here is a link to a plug, that is the kind that needs to be on there. If you look at the pictures down below, you will see a diagram in the pictures of how it needs to be wired. You can print that and take it to the vehicle.

Here is the link.

Dan
Old 09-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #4

1961 16' Bambi
Westminster , Colorado
Thanks Boatdoc and Dan for you help, I really appreciate it!

Mrs. C
Mrs. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Very clear drawing of the 7-way connector

I 'm working on a very similiar trailer - a '60 Tradewind.
I've traced out the runing lights wiring and could send you a copy( as soon as its drawn up).
check out this website for a very clear picture of the 7-way connector.

Marksrv.com 7 way wiring diagram page
PetervB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bambi, towing, wiring