Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Help....Quick and Dirty

Need some advice on getting the new acquisition ready for a move from Chicago to Dallas. Its been sitting a while, PO says bearings are O.K. (whats that mean) Tires are two years old and thats all I know so far. It has a Reese. I want to get on the road and move it to where I can do the right kind of inspection and fix up here at home. 1000 miles. I am concerned about the axel horror stories on the Vintage site. How about an Airstream type facility that I can call and set up a quick get ready (South of Chicago?)
I'd like to do this all ASAP. Thanks. I'm trying to post a picture for you...it is a 1960 Pacer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacer 1.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	19523  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
looks sweet!

there is a camping world in bolingbrook, and an airstream dealership there also( dont know if its open yet)....i would have the bearings inspected and repacked...they can also inspect the brakes at the same time....but with a teeny tiny unit like that i personally wouldnt worry about the brakes.....
happy trails.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
if you're mechanically inclined (or even all thumbs and don't mind grease) just repack the bearings and make sure you've got tail lights. I agree you don't need brakes, just some care in maintaining reasonable speed and spacing. I think you could be good to go in a few hours, worst case. (except for the trip(s) back and forth to get the right connectors--I recommend you go with the commercial round 7-pin connector on your TV and whatever makes you happy on the trailer end).

The only other thing I'd assure myself of is that the door lock is solid. You don't want that sucker flinging open at highway speeds--big repair to skin. I can't see the door and I know some of the 60s were hinged on their leading edge, but most are the other way around--the bad way.

Darn! Cool get. Where/how do you find such jewels?
Old 03-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Check the date code on the tires or see if the PO has the receipt for the tires. Two years to some people varies from person to person. I wouldn't worry about the brakes but check the bearings an the connections of the axle to the frame for any stress cracks in the metal. Make sure you have lights that work and stop every few miles when you start to check for anything that doesn't look or feel rite. I would suggest towing only in the daytime until you have had it checked professionally. Watch your speed and congratulations. Keep us posted. Good luck, have a safe trip, and take plenty of pictures. You'll want to have something to look back at while everyone you know thinks the aluminum has gone to your head.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
O.K., Here I go..........

Thanks for the advice. I plan to replace all three (spare) tires, have the bearings checked, greased or replaced, check the lights...reported to working,
( the truck is F-250 Super Duty) wiring is already set for the seven pin connector with brakes, ( I use on all the ranch trailers) ..here I go.....Fat, Dumb and Happy.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Melody Ranch,

Is the pacer ,the airstream you have? The horror stories were only for the 65 caravel . never heard of any other airstream model having a problem,so put yor concerns to rest ,no need to worry . It appeared that you had a caravel from your posts on the vintage threads it seemed .What a fantastic little airstream , It wont have the torsion axle either so no problem there. Have a great time with that pacer ,really cool!

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Melody Ranch,

Is the pacer ,the airstream you have? The horror stories were only for the 65 caravel . never heard of any other airstream model having a problem,so put yor concerns to rest ,no need to worry . It appeared that you had a caravel from your posts on the vintage threads it seemed .What a fantastic little airstream , It wont have the torsion axle either so no problem there. Have a great time with that pacer ,really cool!

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote