Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Hatch Openings on a 1963 Bambi

I am finally getting around to working on a shell-off restoration of a 1963 Bambi. I has been years since I removed the shell and trying to remember how to put things back together !!

I am wondering if anybody has some pic's of this section of the shell. Here are the questions I am trying to answer:

It looks like I still need to find some "drip-rail" type of material to go over the top of each opening. can anybody confirm and direct me to a sample or pic?

Are both small doors laying on the ground used for the battery opening? If so, how is the keyed door attached at the bottom?

If I recall correctly the "C" channel is removed completely inside the battery opening (presumably so a heavy battery could be slid in and out), what does the inside of the other big opening look like?

The bottom of the small battery door is pretty corroded. Is the hinge material AL or galvanized?

Laying on the ground, is a hatch door. I cannot find the latches that attach to the belly wrap for closing the hatch door. does anybody have a pic of the clasp?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Hatches.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	212734  
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
have you contacted vintagetrailersupply.com? Also, try vintageairstream.com for pictures of other Bambi's. I'm working on a 1961 Ohio built Bambi 16'. Check it out at www.lilbambi.net. Chris
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags