Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #1

1961 16' Bambi
Hot Springs , Arkansas
'61 Bambi full resto.

Good Morning,
This is my first post in this forum(or any forum for that matter).I'm restoring a 1961 Bambi for friend.I have never worked on an airstream before but have always wanted to.I would like to have input and advice from more experienced individuals on this massive undertaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	324.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	163947   Click image for larger version

Name:	352.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	163948  

Tinfoil Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #2

1961 16' Bambi
Hot Springs , Arkansas
The teardown has begun this week.This thing was the "project" of several people who did not realize the scale of the work needed to get this beauty back into road worthy condition.The interior will be salvaged(as much as possible)and re installed after the floor replacement and some ext. skin work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	163949   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	163950  

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	163951  
Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Definite Resto

Hi Tinfoil Hat,
This is definitely a restoration. She'll be beautiful! Mine is a 70's rework. But, for what it's worth, you go to www.surfershack.com and see pictures of my Safari "full monte". I've had a lot of fun working on my AS. If owned this Bambi, I would replace it completely. And seal the wood. I think that is the weakest link in an Airstream. Good Luck!
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfoil Hat View Post
Good Morning,
This is my first post in this forum(or any forum for that matter).I'm restoring a 1961 Bambi for friend.I have never worked on an airstream before but have always wanted to.I would like to have input and advice from more experienced individuals on this massive undertaking.
Awsome project! Hello and welcome! You have come to the right place as many of us have been in your position. I have just completed a massive shell off resto. Looking at your pics kinda brings back the excitement and pain. A friend I met on the forums said to me once.."you are eating an elephant sandwich, take small bites. Good luck we will be watching and cheering you on!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #5

1961 16' Bambi
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Interesting week

I've got all the interior lower skin off.Removed a giant sheet of plate aluminum from the rear to discover a hack repair.The bolts running through the C-channel and floor were missing in action from the wheel wells back.Now I'm trying to figure out the best method for rivet removal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	164433   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	164434  

Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Time to take the shell off!! easy on this small gal. my 28' was a little more interesting. I'm having flash backs to two months ago seeing your gal gutted..

Keep up the good work and keep us posted..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #7

1961 16' Bambi
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Thanks for the encouragement.Even though this one is tiny,it's a very daunting task to rebuild this beauty.I have checked out your projects and can't tell you how helpful your advice and pictures are.
Being a cabinet maker,all this metal work is a little out of the norm for me(can't wait to get to the interior).
I'm am lucky enough to have shop space w/air conditioning or this project would be waiting till fall.102 for a high today........yuk.
Today, I will be drilling rivets and prepping for lift off.Pics of the lift coming soon.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I love seeing these projects as they move along. I would bet there are hundreds of vintage Airstreams sitting around in back yards and shops that once the owners started the project gave up because it just proved to be too much for them. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Looks like a great project! We have a 63 Bambi and my husband restored it a few years ago... he has a long thread with lots of photos and how-to's you might find a few answers to things that come up in the thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html Other than that, my suggestion is to take a zillion photos of before, during and after. Especially as you disassemble things. Each was made a little differently so to reconstruct you will want to see what you have done! Looks fun! It is hard, but very rewarding if you keep up with it!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote