Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
 
rbrown's Avatar
 
1961 16' Bambi
Waterloo , South Carolina
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11
HIdden A/C unit

Hidden A/C unit. Good idea to use the space of the hot water heater. I have seen A/C units installed in the floor area with ducting. Have you explored:
1. An outside ground mounted unit with flex hoses to connect the supply and return ducts. If you are hauling a generator, and A/C might fit. Also it quiter for my application, if I do it.
2 How about a marine unit hidden is several places. No exhaust outside because they use a water heat exchanger to take away the heat. Expensive to purchase I am sure.
We have just been puting up with the heat when we travel to Key West.
A Fan is presently used.
The ground mounted A/c unit is good unless there is a roof top unit that is 2 inches tall. But then I do not want the water to run down the shell after I spend my time completing the job.
Richard
__________________

rbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #22
billnovus1
 
1961 16' Bambi
Salinas , California
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
water tank replacement

hi Mark, notice in your post you mentioned the leaking water tank. Mine has a few pinhole leaks and am wondering , did you replace yours, try to patch somehow? I pulled mine out yesterday and haven't really researched the replacement route, thought I would check the forums for a hint. Thanks
__________________

novus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus1 View Post
hi Mark, notice in your post you mentioned the leaking water tank. Mine has a few pinhole leaks and am wondering , did you replace yours, try to patch somehow? I pulled mine out yesterday and haven't really researched the replacement route, thought I would check the forums for a hint. Thanks
Updating the old pressure water system to the "demand" water system, is the only way to go.

You install a plastic water tank, a demand pump, 2 check valaves, and it's done.

The old pressure water systems went down with the Titanic.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #24
billnovus1
 
1961 16' Bambi
Salinas , California
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
water tank

Hey thanks Andy, I appreciate your help and admire your knowledge. Since I found my first Airstream (61 Bambi, # ....639) a couple months ago I read this stuff into the wee hours of the morning.
I came to that conclusion about the plastic tank earlier today, just didn't want to give up on the beautiful (but hidden alum. tank with i.d. plate and all without some consideration, but so it goes. Maybe make a planter or something out of it.
I see RV Surplus gets some good reviews and the 12X48X12, 29 gal. seems to be the one. Inland RV handle something like that?
Do I lose the old filler hole or modify it to the new tank?
Thanks again very much for keeping an eye on us newbies . Bill
novus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus1 View Post
Hey thanks Andy, I appreciate your help and admire your knowledge. Since I found my first Airstream (61 Bambi, # ....639) a couple months ago I read this stuff into the wee hours of the morning.
I came to that conclusion about the plastic tank earlier today, just didn't want to give up on the beautiful (but hidden alum. tank with i.d. plate and all without some consideration, but so it goes. Maybe make a planter or something out of it.
I see RV Surplus gets some good reviews and the 12X48X12, 29 gal. seems to be the one. Inland RV handle something like that?
Do I lose the old filler hole or modify it to the new tank?
Thanks again very much for keeping an eye on us newbies . Bill
The original water tank that Airstream used in the 64 to 67 models, can be used.

It has a ready made angled filler neck that can be used on your 61.

You used a clear hose to attach the tank neck, to your water fill. You would have to drill a hole in the cap that yo now have, to act as a vent.

You must have a small vent so that when the pump runs and pulls water from the plastic tank, the tank doesn't collapse.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
New Member
 
Myrtle Creek , Oregon
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Just got a [I think 61 Bambi?) Vin Number is 16TDSS01782. Could a couple of you non rookies help me identify and explain the vin number? Please.
Thanks, Todd
Todd Theiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
 
Jimbcole's Avatar
 
1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Theiss
Just got a [I think 61 Bambi?) Vin Number is 16TDSS01782. Could a couple of you non rookies help me identify and explain the vin number? Please.
Thanks, Todd
Todd check out this link

http://vintageairstream.com/archives...659/index.html
Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
 
aztlanco's Avatar
 
El Paso , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 233
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Theiss View Post
Just got a [I think 61 Bambi?) Vin Number is 16TDSS01782. Could a couple of you non rookies help me identify and explain the vin number? Please.
Thanks, Todd

Welcome and congratulations! You will find the best help in these forums from some of the best knowledgeble people in the planet.

Ernie
1958 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Theiss View Post
Just got a [I think 61 Bambi?) Vin Number is 16TDSS01782. Could a couple of you non rookies help me identify and explain the vin number? Please.
Thanks, Todd
You are correct, that's it's a 1961 model.

Andy
__________________

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1961, 1961 bambi


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1961 - 1963 Bambi Serial Number Guide Andy R 1961 - 1963 Bambi 56 05-07-2019 12:10 AM
1961 Bambi for $1000! yukionna On The Road... 4 06-20-2004 05:26 PM
16' Bambi bed conversion Wish General Interior Topics 0 12-08-2003 04:27 PM
Newbie Pondering Bambi 16 or 22? Joe Our Community 10 09-20-2003 08:37 AM
Bambi or 16' CCD Bob Shepard Our Community 27 07-18-2003 08:51 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.