Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Land Yacht
Bakersfield , California
Windshield Wipers

Wipers on my 1992 LY motorhome will come on and operate when the weather is damp or its raining, even when the switch is off. Position of the switch makes no difference, the wipers continue to operate for about 15 minutes, plus or minus.
I had a shop check everything out, and they said it appeared my ground may not be good. So he installed an addtional ground wire.
However, the next time it rained the wipers repeated the, on, condition.
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what is the fix. I would gladly replace the wiper motor if necessary, or the switch if its the problem, but I would rather not start replacing parts.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Do you have delay wipers? Is it a GM chassis and wiper motor?
If so, the circuit board mounted on the motor will get moisture in it, short out, and the motor will run until it dries out, or you turn the key off. Solution is a new motor and circuit board. Daub some silicone sealant around the seam to help keep the problem from recurring.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Land Yacht
Bakersfield , California
Overlander63,
Thanks for the info.
My chassis is a Chevrolet, and I do have the delay wipers. Is the circuit board inside the flat extension of the wiper motor casting? The scenario you explain sounds exactly correct, and I will try placing some sealant around the joint between the casting pieces.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It is mounted on the gearbox, held on by torx screws.