Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2003, 06:01 PM   #21
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up

What a nut Dennis is....
Look how clean and tidy everything looks. But then again, I already knew that, because first thing I did at the New Mexico Rally this summer was to stick my head under his rig.
And let me tell you, it looked nice.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
What a nut Dennis is....

Yeah, Peter, you're right. I really need to get a life.

Look up 'anal' in the dictionary -- there's a picture of me.

I wonder if I can be buried in or under the 345. Hmmmm...

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yeah and I thought I was that way, not anymore
My oil pan is SOMEWHAT clean but not green!!

Nice job. I really like the mini hi torque starter. That and the thermal blanket look similiar to what I used. But yours is neater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1starter.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	3672  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 07:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
It will help a lot to wrap the exhaust pipe off the manifold. Keeps the heat in and the hot exhaust flows better.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
good idea, didn't know that was a good thing to do, but will be easily done. I still have wrap material left.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The starter blanket material won't work if it isn't high temp, get something like thermotec wrap. It will also help with heat inside the mh. In these old engines half the energy in the gas goes out as wasted heat so if you can keep it in the pipes until it is under the coach it will help.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Revived thread because mine quit.

When I got my MH back yesterday, the mechanic said that the loud grinding noise apon starting was a worn flywheel (teeth are chipped or worn), and that the starter shaft that extends out doesn't grab it well and slips.
Since it was starting anyway, I said that would be my next project. Well, my baby is stuck in the lot of Home Depot, and I will have to have it towed back to Victory Chev. to replace said flywheel (flex gear).
I'm wondering if it isn't the fly, but just a bad starter. I think I would like to tell them to just replace it first, and if it still grinds, then to do the flywheel.
Any recommendations? Should I just go ahead with the fly? I will go with oem starter if needed. BTW, they said it would be @ $900.00
Old 01-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodokk
When I got my MH back yesterday, the mechanic said that the loud grinding noise apon starting was a worn flywheel (teeth are chipped or worn), and that the starter shaft that extends out doesn't grab it well and slips.
Since it was starting anyway, I said that would be my next project. Well, my baby is stuck in the lot of Home Depot, and I will have to have it towed back to Victory Chev. to replace said flywheel (flex gear).
I'm wondering if it isn't the fly, but just a bad starter. I think I would like to tell them to just replace it first, and if it still grinds, then to do the flywheel.
Any recommendations? Should I just go ahead with the fly? I will go with oem starter if needed. BTW, they said it would be @ $900.00
Well you cant tell till you pull the inspection cover and look. If you don't look before the mechanic you will never know. Chewing up a gear like that takes a while but it does happen. It is from a starter not being lined up correctly OR the wrong starter. There are two different tooth count fly wheels on the small blocks and I bet the same is true on the big blocks.

A new starter might buy you some time but without personally looking at it I couldn't tell you.

A NEW as in not rebuilt starter from Autozone is l$90. It works great on my 454 Suburban. Limited lifetime warranty.

There is a bracket off the back of GM starters that is often not reinstalled. It keeps the starter from rocking back. Make sure its present. It does have a purpose and is often the cause of these sort of problems.

$900 is pretty damn steep. Starter at $90 and a fly wheel at about the same. so over $600 in labor for installation. You could buy a tranny jack and save $500 doing it yourself. The transmission has to be pulled to do this and considering the worst transmission I ever pulled was front wheel drive and it still only took me a couple hours to do I would say they are a little high.

I'm and above average shade tree and I rebuild my own transmissions so I do have a very clear idea on whats involved in this.

I would call around and talk to other reputable shops. Most have a hours book and should be able to give you a fair estimate on this. Honestly I would take it to a tranny shop (not a chain place but the local guy with a good reputation) and see if they would do it. They are use to pulling transmissions and could probably have it out in under a hour. I have done this hove done this job on GM trucks and unless I am missing something I would think it would be easier on a P30 where the floor is not right on top of the transmission.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I'm off to get my MH towed to a place. I called around and the prices for independent shops range from 600-7000 big ones. So I have to decide if I want to spend the extra 300 on customer service at the dealer. They treat me well and try to fix fast. Also, they do stuff without charging extra!?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
at least you can hope that the dealer will warranty the work, and stand behind their job. You hope. Its understandable if you are not one who wants to tackle this job, thats why we have pros who do it for us.
Those of us that can do it are blessed in the ability to do so. I am one who will try to fix almost anything anywhere, MH, house, car, electronics,computers,etc. with the help of screened advice off the net usually......sometimes I wish I didn't, but so far it has worked for me. Good luck and keep us posted.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

I burned a starter by installing it incorrectly. Did not use shims and it would not disengage from the engine. A neat learning experience.

I don't know about carrying a starter, but a preemptive replacement every couple of years sounds like a really good idea. Before it fails in the middle of nowhere.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
New starter is the way to go. Its to hot under a Motor Home to think about haveing to replace it one more time along the road.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Hello ALANSD ! I am wondering how the Mini starter is holding up over time ?

I am looking at one from Summit ? for my 89 454 Chevy

verses the Hitachi from NAPA ?
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote