Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 06:10 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Not the first ad I've seen that labeled a lifter incorrectly.
You need to give in on this one. Flat tappet lifters are both hydraulic and sold and DO refer to the "flat" bottom of the lifter design. Actually they're not flat but slightly crowned. As opposed to roller lifters that have a round roller at the bottom. Don't call out a cam company for being incorrect as they're the ones that created the terms in the first place.

Just a few that would agree:

https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...er-camshaft%3F

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...et-roller-cams

https://www.compcams.com/cam-types
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:28 AM   #42
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
92LandYacht, yes I agree.

So, I can show you a flattened cam lobe from my Dodge 360 with hydraulic flat tappets while using Valvoline 10w-40 synthetic oil. It was changed while on the road by a shop due to some non-related repairs, and was driven less than 2000 miles. I had to replace the cam and lifters.
It seems that Valvoline, like most modern oils have reduced ZDDP due to catalytic converters. Mine, being a 1973, has no catalytic converter. I run Mobil1 15W-50 for the high ZDDP content and 50 weight is listed in the manufacturers acceptable list.
This is my specific experience, but I do not want the expense and downtime of replacing the cam and lifters again. I have put over 50,000 miles on another vehicle using this oil, a 1987 V8 with 32 valves, no issues.
I do believe oil analysis is a great way to track your engine health.
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Yes, motor oils with a high-zinc formula are a must to protect flat-tappet cams, lifters, rockers & other critical components in pre catalytic classic vehicles that run these types of valvetrains.

At least that is what 40 years of building classic hot rod engines has taught me.
thewarden is online now   Reply With Quote