Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Water in oil known probable cause

Doing research for my water/antifreeze in the oil found that mechanics and chevy knew the intake manifold gasket is probably the cause.

No warning very lucky to find just before a long trip, last thing before trip had planned to change oil and discovered we had a problem, oil the color of rusty milk.

Tested head pressure all cylinders above 170 psi, tested radiator, cap was bad but pressure testing showed radiator wasn't holding pressure spotted drop of fluid at the #12 bolt for the lower gasket.
Proceeded to isolate radiator and found it held pressure overnight, slowly took engine apart and the upper plenum gasket looked good until it separated on peeling off, removed the intake and found plasitic gasket had deteriorated at both ends, plastic warped and cracked surrounding the water passages.

After replacing gasket, flushed radiator and engine 3 times with distilled water(Florida house a/c has a constant flow of condensate water) sponged up the oil trapped above the cam shaft, replaced filter and had 2 gallons of relatively clean used oil, took a short camping trip 50 miles to test system, monitored motor temperature and it ran 194-199 without tow so on return trip towed pu and temperature was the same.

Used the scangauge to get temp as the dash gauge works but difficult to interpret dial, gauge is marked 100 degree first mark, actual numbers are 160 and the running temp looks like 150 when it is actually 194. Today changed the oil and filter again and added antifreeze. Yes, I replaced the bad radiator cap before the trip, and using antifreeze at 50/50 for 265 degree protection more than it's freeze temp. Pictures will be in next post.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
If the original antifreeze was Dexcool (red) your engine should be ok.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
If the original antifreeze was Dexcool (red) your engine should be ok.
I think the rusty look to the antifreeze was due to the Dexcool, I have 40000 miles but 15+ years since build in 1998.
Here is info from wikipedia on Dexcool, the 7.2L was not included in the 2007 settlement.
-------------------------
We are pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative nationwide settlement with General Motors...

You will have the option to be included in the settlement if you incurred out-of-pocket expenses for any of the following repairs:

1. A replacement of the lower intake gasket, made within 7 years or 150,000 miles of the date of initial delivery
for 1995-2003.5 Model Year vehicles with 3.1-liter V6 and 3.4-liter V6 engines, where OEM lower intake manifold gasket was a nylon/silicone gasket, and the vehicle was equipped with Dex-Cool coolant.

2. A coolant sealability repair (including, but not limited to, throttle body gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, lower intake manifold
gasket, etc.), made within 7 years or 150,000 miles of the date of initial delivery for 1995-2004 Model Year 3.8-liter V6 engines (RPO L36),
where the vehicle was equipped with Dex-Cool coolant.
-------------------------------------------------------
So anybody with Dexcool and plastic gasket will have problems down the road, not enough AS were produced to generate a class action suit. I did see in the original 1999 GM manual that Dex-cool was use and is the recommended antifreeze.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I saw some really weird stuff with Dexcool the first 5 years (or so) it was in use. Gelling, discoloration, and strange smells. I don't know how it was reformulated, but those issues seemed to disappear in the early 2000's.
However, I'm kind of old school, and slow to accept change until something is proven over the long haul. I still get Dexcool out of my vehicles at the 2 year mark and revert to Ethylene Glycol (green stuff) and service every 2 years. Once you change or add green, you are committed to 2 year servicing, even if you decide to go back to Dexcool. Now, it has been a decade since I've noted any issues on the job with Dexcool, so my next new vehicles, I'll probably stick with long life Dexcool.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Picture post.
On reinstall the most important picture was to verify position of rotor on distributor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	454intake (Copy).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	213213   Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt#12 (Copy).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	213214  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gasket&intake (Copy).jpg