Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2003, 03:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Water hoses

Today while driving my MH to warm it up for awhile (it was a high of 33 here)
I smelled antifreeze, and when I got back the drip was coming from above the front of the motor, couldn't tell yet but I will be looking for a splitting or punctured hose. My radiator was re-cored 20,000 miles agp by the po. No thermostat in it as it warms up very slowly usually...
Anyway- is anyone out there using heavier than stock hoses? I also saw a stainless steel hose kiit for the Chevy BB that was not too expensive. My water neck also should be replaced as it looks corroded somewhat and the short hose on it and clamp are in need of changing. Saw the water neck in aluminum at this spot-

http://www.noahperformance.com/page27.html

ok panel of experts- let me know your opinions! Thanks
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I'd save my money and buy a regular hose and some clamps. I consider hoses expendable compared to radiators and heater cores. The easiest way to get them off is slice them back at the ends. You can't do that with stainless braid.

Some of the aftermarket water necks don't seal well, I reused the original on my engine. The corrosion can be cleaned up even if the neck is rough. Get a brass wire wheel or brush, it will take off the corrosion but won't tear up the aluminum. The neck can be fairly pitted and the hose will still seal with a decent stainless clamp. Use the wheel (or brush) on both gasket surfaces and the step where the thermostat sits, and a thin layer of engine sealant of both sides of the gasket.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Alan,
Do you have the Chevy 454 gas engine? There is a short hose from the top of the waterpump to the manifold that is the same size as a heater hose. since it has an extreme bend for the short length it is prone to fail.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:47 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Better H2O Hoses and Leaks

I have a 454 in my Suburban and one of its quirks is the water neck gasket leaking. The neck needs to be cleaned and surfaced as well as the mounting surface on the manifold. Clean the manifold area well, making sure there are no bits and pieces of the old gasket left. Take the neck and clean it too. After cleaning take a piece of 400 grit emory paper, place it on a FLAT surface (plate glass is best) and run the neck around the emory paper until the bottom of the neck has a dull grey line all around. You now have a perfectly flat mounting surface. Purchase FelPro's best gasket, about $4.00 and reassemble, torquing everything carefully. You should install a thermostat, your choice as to temp. Now, if you want the best hoses the Goodyear Blue series are it. Expensive but will last far lomger than any other type. Next in quality are the factory hoses from the dealer. And finally there are the discount autoparts stores stuff. OK in an emergency.

Hope this helps some.
Sean
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
antifreeze leak

alan
im betting on the small hose from the water pump to the intake manifold. i put a 180 degree thermostat in my MH. the 195 degree just made my engine run too hot. always seeing 210 and above . i now stay at 180 to 200. lol that little hose is a pig to put on. lube the ends with liquid dish soap when you try to push the ends on.
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks guys. Y'all are the best.
I will have to crawl up under there today and see what is leaking.
The other issue I have is the cap , I replaced it last summer, as it was very hard to get the old one off. This one is doing the same thing. It turns but has to be pried off, as it seems to stick underneath where the lip on the tube is turned to "lock" it on. I will mess around with that too, and pull it off to see what is happening. Have a geat super bowl sunday. Go Cowboys ( Oh - they aren't playing?) Ok then , go bucs.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I would definately install the thermostat...and check the antifreeze concentration at least once a year with a hydrometer. Good luck locating and repairing the leak.
Our holding/overflow bottle had actually become brittle and cracked. Easy to replace though.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
crawled under and checked all my hoses..no leaks. Turns out it is a heater core problem. I turned the heat on when driving up to the gas station and steam came into the drivers area.
If I look into the vent on the passenger side where the heater core is visible, you can see antifreeze running down the side of it. I guess I will have to try to bypass the heater core until I can get it fixed.
The restore/improve list gets put on hold while he repair list takes priority again. Oh well.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:46 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
tip on hoses

hey gang,

go get yourself a can of permatex "aircraft grade gasket sealer/maker"

looks like brown rubber cement, just slather a bit inside the hose before you push it on.

will not leak, even on plastic radiators. plus, it stays flexible so getting hoses off again is less difficult.

was told about this by a buddy who owns a radiator shop. stops return visits for leaks by his cust.

can be hard to find, try napa first.

works well, had an 88 chev that was a leaker from day one. this fixed it for good. over 250,000 miles.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote