Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Wandering tachometer

I am having a problem with the Tach on my 82 Excella gasser. At idle the reading is completly steady. However, at speed it wanders about 500 to 1k rpm. I have noticed that if I push in the cigar lighter, it will jump even more.

I have cleaned the HEI connections and have crimped in the connector a tad to make it fit a bit tighter, but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
You may want to check your grounds behind the dash. I have fixed a number of odd readings of different instruments just by making the grounds better.
My latest one was when I opperated my switch for the door dead bolt, I noticed the light in the vacuum guage would come on slightly. I found that the switch uses the ground for the vacuum guage illumination, and it was loose.
Good luck, Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Rob,

Thanks for the tip. You indicate that there are a number of grounds behind the dash. Any idea how many? I have cranked down on one, but don't remember more than one. Than again, I don't remember what I had for lunch either.

I will go look for more.

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Steve,
Have you cured your wandering tach problem? My 310 does exactly the same thing. The tach is very steady and smooth all the way up to 3200 - 3300 RPM for the first 4 or 5 minutes the engine runs, after it is good and warmed up, anything over 2400 RPM and I get about a 500 RPM bounce, always down. I have had the gauge panel out and tried to check all the grounds but it is pretty intimidating back there (a mess of wires that all seem to end up running to each other at some point). This bounce just developed at the end of last season.
silver buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Rick,

I am yet to solve the mystery, but if I do, I will share.
I have gone over the grounds and everything looks good there. The problem with finding this is that I have to be going highway speeds to find it. Not recommended if you work alone.

I know whatyou mean about the spaghetti behind the instrument panel. A number of folks have changed out their gauges and have had to deal with the mess. It seems like the only thing that the wiring diagram and the real wiring have in common is coincedense!!

Good luck in finding your problem. Let me know if you do, please.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1993 35' Legacy Diesel
richmond , Michigan
Try running a ground from the ground lug on the tach directly to the battery ground. If this solves your problen then you know to look deeper into the dash wiring. If not then you have eliminated that potential problem
1997 Saturn Toad
Dog Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
This may be from left field and have nothing to do with your vehicle. But....
When I worked for GM way back when, I seem to recall that they used a tach filter to smooth it out. Have you checked with the manufacturer or dealer? Just a thought.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Good advice, Dog Trainer. Next time I get on the road I will give it a shot.

As to the tach filter, I have no clue. I have looked at the wiring diagram, and do not see that one was installed. What do they look like and where might one be? I guess if there is one it could have failed. How would I be able to replace one?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geophilist
Good advice, Dog Trainer. Next time I get on the road I will give it a shot.

As to the tach filter, I have no clue. I have looked at the wiring diagram, and do not see that one was installed. What do they look like and where might one be? I guess if there is one it could have failed. How would I be able to replace one?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve, I'm sorry, it's been too long and the cobwebs of the mind are too thick. A call to the dealer should let you know if that's even a possibility. I worked on Cadillac and Oldsmobile, the tach input came off the distributor as I recall. There were two wires with push-in plastic connectors to the distributor cap where the coil is. One was the 12v power lead, the other the tach lead.
I do know the filters were used, but I don't recall if it was original or a problem fix part. FWIW.
Dave
Old 10-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Steve,
We just returned from the rally in Ga.. Before we left I replaced the coil, cap, rotor and ?? (the flat thing in the bottom of the distributor with 4 male spade terminals on it), no more wondering. She was rock steady.
silver buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver buffalo
Steve,
We just returned from the rally in Ga.. Before we left I replaced the coil, cap, rotor and ?? (the flat thing in the bottom of the distributor with 4 male spade terminals on it), no more wondering. She was rock steady.
ignition module. Buy another and put it it your tool box.
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Rick, Rally,

Had not thought of the "flat thing in the distributor", I will buy a pair and try it out. You know where the second one goes; along with an alternator and starter motor. Thanks.

Dave, I really know about the cobwebs. I hear that forgetfulness is the second sign of getting old. I forgot the first. I will call around about the filter. Thanks for the help and good thoughts.

Steve
Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Ok,
Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Dave,

Ok, I have called around to half of the Chevy dealers, RV dealers, and an electronics store in Tidewater, and they tell me that the filter is no longer available. One said, "oh, yeah, back when they made cars with points and carbs they used to have those filters." Now I am really feeling old. One counterman described it as looking like a condenser only with two wires and was mounted somewhere on the maifold. Guess I will go on a snipe hunt.

Thanks again

Steve
Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Dave,

Ok, I have called around to half of the Chevy dealers, RV dealers, and an electronics store in Tidewater, and they tell me that the filter is no longer available. One said, "oh, yeah, back when they made cars with points and carbs they used to have those filters." Now I am really feeling old. One counterman described it as looking like a condenser only with two wires and was mounted somewhere on the maifold. Guess I will go on a snipe hunt.

Thanks again

Steve
Steve,

Have you tried NAPA? If so, forget this post. If not, I know there's one on Military Hwy near Campostella Rd. They often have parts for my Blimp that no one else seems to have heard of.

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Tim,

Thanks for the tip, but no go with NAPA and my secret weapon, A&B didn't have it either. They suggested maybe a radio suppressor. Not so sure about that one.

Steve

Steve
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Recently, when buying tune up parts for my 84 454 I asked for a condenser (as in points and condenser). I was told that the HEI didn't use a condenser. So what is that canister in my distributor that looks like a condenser? I was told it is a radio noise suppresser.

Doubtfully, I said ok give me one. No one except Napa could find a part number.

So what is this thing really and what would happen if it failed?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Dave,

Thanks again

Steve
Gee, it wasn't that long ago! Cadillac had elect ignition, ported fuel injection, computors, etc. I started in '80 and left there in '87. For some reason when I think of tach filters, I think of Cad. Seville - think they used them. Maybe I am I getting old, I can't remember!

Also, there was a similar thread started within the last 2 days where the guy replaced the ignition module along with cap, coil, wires and tach became steady. Might want to check that out as well. Good luck with it.
Dave
Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Dave,

I hate to tell you this buddy, but that was 20-25 years ago. No cell phones, no internet, cluged up emission controls. You remember. Shoot, my MOHo was new then. Think of all of the stuff that has happened since 1980. These parts stores only seem to have the "A " line parts. No one keeps anything in stock, and the person behind the counter is usually a driver with nothing to do.

I have been reading the other thread, and a new ignition module is in the works.

As for the no condenser in the HEI ignition, that is news to me, but then so is a lot of stuff

Thanks for the info.

Steve
Old 10-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Hey Steve,

My Blimp has a Ford engine and the tach wire is attached directly to the coil. You can actually get to it under the dog house. Maybe you could buy the 460 out of my 370, or, better yet, just buy the whole thing! ;-) I'll make you an offer you can't refuse....
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote