Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Smile Travel Tanks Switch

Near the ignition, I have a switch on my lower dashboard labeled "Travel Tanks" (picture below). I am certain this is a switch which allows me to toggle from the main fuel tank to an auxillary fuel tank because my fuel gage reacts when I change the setting.

I have engaged it while on the road, and I get an accurate reading on the fuel gage when toggled to the main tank. However, when I switch it to the auxillary tank, the needle goes to the far right and stays there--no movement. My theory is something is not functioning properly, or I have an auxillary fuel tank with lots of undiscovered fuel in it...

I looked in my owner's manual and service manual, but did not find any reference to this device. I also searched the Internet to see if there was information available, but nothing significant.

I am curious if any other MH owners have one of these, or any information on this device, or any ideas of how I might troubleshoot it and fix it? Any comments are welcome.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2004, 04:54 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have a couple of guesses, but I also have questions.

Do you have an additional fuel filler on the MH?

Have you seen a second fuel tank under the MH?

I know in the GMC FWD Motorhomes they had a dual tank setup that was filled from a common filler tube. The switch may be to switch to the "aux" tank and it is full unless you have less than ___ in your main tank. The only way to know for sure is to start taking stuff apart and tracing wires and hoses. I have not see one that looks like that before.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Red face Tracer Action

Brett:

I guess I assumed this switch might have been a common feature to other MH owners. As you mentioned, I have only one filler tube, but I have not gotten underneath to determine if I have dual fuel tanks or not. I will do that and follow up with another post.

I was curious if anyone else might have some familiarity with it and be able to offer some quick & easy troubleshooting suggestions. I will report back in later, and thank you.