Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Trans Yoke Loosening Up

Does anyone know the correct torque specifications for the transmission yoke bolt? I've tightened this thing three times (the last adding a lock washer) and it keeps coming loose every 1000 miles or so.

When I say loose I mean maybe 1/4 - 1/2 turn. But it's enough to allow the yoke to "float" in it's splines causing that blasted vibration when at speed and under no/low load. Tightening it up removed the vibration immediately.

I'm getting pretty good at dropping the driveshaft and tightening everything up but I wonder why this bolt is not staying put. Was it over torqued? Should I replace the bolt? What about lock tite?

I need to repair my parking break this weekend so it will be a good time for me to tighten the yoke one FINAL time.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steven,

Are you describing the two bolts that hold the tail of the transmission to the cross member?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brett,
No, sorry I wasn't clear. Its actually the [male] splined yoke that connects the driveshaft to the [female] shaft in the transmission tail. First U-Joint is on the aft end. If you remove the U-Joint there is a big ole bolt in the center of it that passes through the yoke and into the tranmission output shaft.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
OK,

I was wondering because the bolts that held the tail to the cross member were not doing their job on mine. The bolts thread into an aluminum housing??? The holes go all through so they now have longer bolts with a nut on the back side to hold it all in place.

Are you torquing the bolt to the proper number of ft/lbs? What about using a bit of thread locker?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Well that's the thing; I don't know the specifications. I just tighten it as much as I can with a big 1/2 socket wrench. Which is hard to do since you under the coach, mid coach and you can't really get too much leverage. I haven't had any trouble with the tailhousing (yet).

I've been considering using the impact wrench on it (if it's spec to 100 ft-lbs) but obviously DO NOT want to stripe this one out.....ouch - that would hurt!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:19 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

steve,
Seems like you been having trouble with that yoke before, vibration,seal replacement, now it loosening up.
Check to see everything is true. Is the output shaft possibly bent? is the yoke true?
Jack up one rear set duels, block the others GOOD, and have someone (you trust) not someone that might be a recipant of your ins. policy, Ha,lol! put it in gear.
SLOWLY let it turn over(idle in gear) and check runout. you need not run it above idle.
Use common sence here.
OR you could remove the rear half of the drive shaft (seems like the front half is supported by the midship bearing and watch what is happening.
Did they replace the rear bushing in the trans when it was overhauled, many overlook this bushing?
ol'George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
Brett,
No, sorry I wasn't clear. Its actually the [male] splined yoke that connects the driveshaft to the [female] shaft in the transmission tail. First U-Joint is on the aft end. If you remove the U-Joint there is a big ole bolt in the center of it that passes through the yoke and into the tranmission output shaft.
Steven, the last one I did I torqued to 150 lbs/ft, and used locktite on the threads. I have had no more problems with the offending part since.
Terry
Old 05-16-2004, 07:30 AM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Good info from George!!
On a previous MH I finally traced elusive vibration to a worn yoke. To be more specific the ears of the yoke were worn enough to allow the first u-joint to be installed ever so slightly off center. Not a very expensive part to replace and possibly essential on a high mileage coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
steve,
Seems like you been having trouble with that yoke before, vibration,seal replacement, now it loosening up.
Check to see everything is true. Is the output shaft possibly bent? is the yoke true?
Jack up one rear set duels, block the others GOOD, and have someone (you trust) not someone that might be a recipant of your ins. policy, Ha,lol! put it in gear.
SLOWLY let it turn over(idle in gear) and check runout. you need not run it above idle.
Use common sence here.
OR you could remove the rear half of the drive shaft (seems like the front half is supported by the midship bearing and watch what is happening.
Did they replace the rear bushing in the trans when it was overhauled, many overlook this bushing?
ol'George
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Thanks to all for this great info.

George - good points. I'm not sure I trust anyone I usually work with enough to perform this test safely. Not that they are untrustworthy - just that they don't have a lot of experience around autos, trucks, etc.

Terry - thanks there is no way I got 150 on there. I might hit it with the impact wrench next time. If it loosens again I'll either replace or take it to the truck shop for a runout check.

No idea on the bushing replacement. I only replaced the seal.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Steve,
The more I think about it, seems like that yoke should not cause vibration even if it IS loose, granted, it IS shorter than a regular slip yoke.
With the bolt out of it, see if you can get it to move around,(side to side) it should be a snug fit.
It should slide on but not have too much clearance between it and the OUTPUT shaft.
Be advised that the output shaft(in trans) WITHOUT the yoke WILL have noticeable side to side movement, this is normal, but with the yoke IN the trans, the bushing should allow only slight side to side movement
Summing things up:
We are checking TWO things here, looseness between the splined output shaft and the yoke,--- AND--- looseness of the yoke IN the trans bushing.
things should be "GOOT "N" TIGHT" as ARNOLD would say. :^)

ol'George
Old 05-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
George - if I remember form the last time I did this when the bolt loosens up it will allow the yoke to slide forward and backward a little (1/8" - 1/4") on it's splines. I'll be back under there to re-tighten this week to I'll check side to side play and lateral play as well.

I suspect this was loose for a while before I aquired the coach. It took me the longest time to find the source of this vibration and noise and now that it keeps coming back I want to make it go away for longer than 2000 miles!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
.......I want to make it go away for longer than 2000 miles!
Out of curiosity (and the quest for knowledge) I contacted the shop which recently overhauled the transmission on the Xeppelin.

They stated that Locktite (Locktight?) goes onto all of these types of bolts (evidently they do LOTS of GM truck and P-3X chassis work).

I asked about torque on the bolt, the reply was "just tight", since no bearings or flat surfaces are mating - just holding the assembly on the splines.

On Steven's coach, I wonder if something else could be out of alignment or worn causing his vibration and back-off failures.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Replace the bolt and locktite it (clean the threads in the shaft well), even with vibration it shouldn't back off. When you replace carrier bearings and u joints (vibration) it doesn't have to be tightened.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:34 PM   #14
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
OK...I'll try a new bolt with locktite. I already replaced both carrier bearings and all of the ujoints so there's not much left.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:44 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Steve,
use any solvent (Brake cleaner, lacquer thinner etc.) to clean the oil from the
thread(S) and blow it dry, otherwise the locktite will be useless.
Look at locktite as a "paint" and procede as you would prepair an item for "paint".
And as stated before, check to see if the yoke is slopy on the spline, if it is, Nothing will keep it tight,except replacement.
Luck,
ol'George
Old 05-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Check the Drive shaft timing. If the drive shaft has been disassembled at the slip yoke in the center of the drive shaft and not put back in time the joints will be out of sequence and shake heck out of the drive line. Have a drive line shop check the joint timing at the slip yoke and you may find the reason for the vibrations.

Joe
joepospisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 04:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The slip joint has a double width 'key' so it can only be assembled one way.

John
Old 05-20-2004, 08:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
strange vibrations

i developed a vibration while in traffic in Atlanta. or that is where i noticed it. it has become a real irritant, cant drive at speeds of 57 to 62 mph.can but don't want to. i can feel it when it starts in the steering wheel and as i gets worse in the seat.
i did an inspection of the drive line and all looks OK. one u joint has some play but not enough to do the vibration that i am experiencing.
tell me more about this gremlin you have driving you crazy.
my last trip was one thing after another dash ac quit, roof ac quit, gen set don't start. and now i have a vibration that doesn't make sense.
I'm going to get the front tires balanced just make sure it isn't tires. i rotated tires with no change in the vibration. i just love to feed the beast. im about tired of this money pit. a new one cost more than i want to spend. isnt this fun. duh
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Al

Have someone hold the brake and go slowly from reverse to drive, you should be able to see movement in a u joint (watch the yokes) or the carrier bearing if it is bad.

If you feel it in the steering wheel first I would suspect the front end, worn parts, alignment, tires.

John
Old 05-21-2004, 07:31 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Hi Steve,
Cheer up, once everything is fixed, you will have a nice unit.I have been there with many vehicles. fixed up many a "Klunker" and went on to drive 100,000- 150,000 with out a problem AND it was WAY WAY less expensive than a New Vehicle.

I Reciently experenced a "vibration" in my little 24' Argosy, making a long story short, I had 3 out of 4 rear tires with broken belts and a 4th with a piece out of the tread,as well as broken belts. the "Uni Royal Lorados, were over 10 yrs old.
They had over 90% tread left, so much for good tread. Tires go bad from age as well as use. I knew they were old I was just hoping they would last, given what little I use the coach.
Now I have 6 new tires, Boy, what a differance in ride!!

While under there, I noticed a "wet" Rear Brake hose, long story now it has 3 new hoses, a new master cylinder, and ALL new brakelines.
while at it, I changed the fuel pump hoses, and correctly positioned the trans cooler lines.
kinda like the commercial, "bet ya can't just eat one bite"
One thing leads to another.
BUT the task of moving a pile of dirt is one shovel at a time.
Good luck.
ol George