Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question Towing Dolly With Electric Brakes

I'm seriously considering towing a small car using a dolly with my 370. Considering that the tag axle has electric trailer brakes, what would I need to know to run the wiring for the electric brakes on the dolly? Basically, I'm assuming that can be done , but how would I sync the two different sets of electric brakes? Separate brake controllers? One controller for both? Impossible? Help !
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tim, what kind of small car? If it is a car you can tow 4-down, you can get an Actibrake, or Brake Buddy to actuate all the brakes on the car. You could check into getting a tow dolly with surge brakes, that way you wouldn't have to wire anything else. I don't remember seeing any, but that doesn't mean they aren't made.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Tim, what kind of small car? If it is a car you can tow 4-down, you can get an Actibrake, or Brake Buddy to actuate all the brakes on the car. You could check into getting a tow dolly with surge brakes, that way you wouldn't have to wire anything else. I don't remember seeing any, but that doesn't mean they aren't made.
Terry,

Thanks. Master Tow was using surge brakes until this year, but I've noticed they're advertising electric brakes now. Demco has been electric. I'd prefer surge, but haven't located any. Not certain yet what I'll tow, but it will be FWD, and I really like the idea of just the rear wheels taking any wear. Also, the cost of a complete 4-down is much higher than a dolly due to the brake actuator cost. Those are the reasons I was attempting to determine how, or if, one would wire another electric brake with my tag axle set-up.

Thanks,
AIR # 5648
Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I found a tow dolly with surge brakes--and it even has a torsion axle, like an Airstream! What more could you want? Here's the link:
http://www.crofttrailer.com/dolly.htm
Old 08-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I found a tow dolly with surge brakes--and it even has a torsion axle, like an Airstream! What more could you want? Here's the link:
http://www.crofttrailer.com/dolly.htm
Way to go, Terry ! I'll check this out first thing Monday morning. Hopefully, they're prices are similar to what I've found for the Master Tow dolly. Thanks so much.
AIR # 5648