Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Steering components shocker

We had quite a surprise today. Ever since our initial buy-it-and-drive-it-home drive from Georgia to Arkansas we've been planning on working on the steering problems. The steering was so bad when we were driving west out of Memphis into eastern Arkansas with strong cross winds that we couldn't keep the MH in the right hand lane. We were constantly blown off the road and it was impossible to correct in time.

An earlier inspection pointed to the bell crank pivot (GM calls it a Steering Relay Support Assembly aka SuperSteer) being bad along with the drag link (GM calls it a Steering Connecting Rod) and the bell crank arm (GM calls it a Steering Relay and Connecting Rod Arm).

I ordered the SuperSteer a few days ago at a cost of $301. I figured for the drag link and the bell crank arm I would just pick up from a local parts store. Well I tried NAPA and then O'Reilly's with zero success. NAPA said they could probably get the drag link but not the bell crank arm. O'Reilly's couldn't get either. I then started calling around and all I could ever find was the drag link. Finally found someone who said that Workhorse bought out the P30 chassis line from GM and apparently are no longer producing the above parts.

As it turns out SuperSteer is now reconditioning the bell crank arms. There is a $100 core charge when ordering these components. From talking with the guy at SuperSteer he mentioned that they were the only ones rebuilding these arms and no one is making them new. The hardest part to swallow was the $330 price tag plus $100 core. You can bet we'll be sending in that core.

The drag link appears to be available for around $82 and is made by Moog Part # DS842.

So the following is the price tag for replacing the three parts with me doing the labor:

SuperSteer $301 + shipping
Bell crank arm $330 + $100 core + shipping
Drag link $82 + shipping.
Alignment ~ $150

Total $863 + shipping and after core refund.

The SuperSteer parts are available from SuperSteer 888-898-2381.

Definitely raises the price of steering repairs .

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
GlenCoombe has frequently mentioned the step van catalog at Mill Supply Index as a good source of parts for the p-30.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
GlenCoombe has frequently mentioned the step van catalog at Mill Supply Index as a good source of parts for the p-30.
Hi Guy,

I checked out Mill Supply a few days ago. They don't carry the 3 componets I listed above. But they certainly do have good pricing on a lot of the front end components we will probably have to replace some day.

I'm anxious to get the MH on the road. Long trip in less than 4 weeks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote