Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Lincoln , Illinois
Smokey 310 isuzu diesel motorhome WHY???

We own a 1983 310 isuzu diesel motorhome. When we start it up it pours out black exhaust smoke until it is warmed up. Very embarassing at campgrounds. Runs great doesn't use oil. My husband says sell but I really love my motorhome. Any ideas we have tried recommended additives not much improvement. A local mechanic said it is normal for this motor. I have put lots of elbow grease on restoring exterior and interior and really hate to get rid of it. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Illinois
Change the air filter. Black smoke is fuel, not enough air. If its a turbo charge there may be oil seeping passed the seals and it (the TurboCharger) may need rebuilt.Does it have glow plugs they may not be operating. Start with no throttle NEVER DEPRESS THE THROTTLE ON START UP If it has a lot of miles it could also need the overhead (valves and injectors) set. It may cost a little but I would seek out a really good diesel mechanic and get a professional opinion Better yet GET 2 or 3 opinions
Good Luck
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois
My husband says sell but I really love my motorhome.
Well, if you've got to sell something, see how much you can get for him... might be enough for a rebuilt... (just joking)

Way to go, hold on to that 310!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
A 310 diesel is very high on my attractiveness ranking. Congratulations on that. As a former diesel mechanic, the first thing that came to mind was the turbo, since it stops after warm-up. If the injectors were at fault, not only would it not stop, it would get worse under load.

On the other hand, it probably could be worse. According to legend, the Canberra English Electric Canberra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia used a starting system that emitted so much smoke that ground crews that didn’t know rushed over with fire equipment! One is currently undergoing restoration at Little Rock Airforce Base, but might have American engines.

Edited update. After a few fun moments exploring Wikipedia, I came on a photo of the American variant being started. Apparently, no difference. Your 310 has to be better than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin_RB-57A_engine_start_vw.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	58122  
Old 10-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wilmington , North Carolina
What type of Antifreeze in Isuzu 280 diesel?
Pickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Black smoke on startup

Turbo seals may be to blame. However, before changing any parts find a couple of really good, highly recommended diesel techs. Have them go over all of the systems, Turbo, Glow Plugs, Injectors, Injector Pump, Air Intake System, Cylinder Leak Down Test, Stem Seals, etc. This will tell you the health of the entire engine.

I have almost 2 million miles driving Class 8 Semi Tractor Trailer Trucks and have experience all kinds of failures. Thank God they were all company owned tractors. Diagnose, then repair.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote