Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Roadtrip spare parts recommendation

So since I'm about to take off on a nice long roadtrip, I'm compiling a list of tools and parts to keep onboard for roadside repairs for my P-30 with 454. Mostly worried about mechanical issues that leave you on the side of the road.

The list is growing quickly
so far I have tools:
Regular wrenches
Line wrenches
Socket set
Impact wrench
Powerprobe
Multimeter
Soldering iron

Parts:
Spare bosch O2 sensor
All belts
Hose clamps
Lengths of 10 14 and 22gauge wire
Fuses

Would love to hear thoughts of other classic owners. I know the alternator is always suspect on these.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Both our 310 and our 345 have been towed because of failed ignition coils. You'd think I would have learned the first time. Other stuff that has slowed us down has been burned plug wires, a fouled spark plug, and an undocumented relay in the starter circuit.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Both our 310 and our 345 have been towed because of failed ignition coils. You'd think I would have learned the first time. Other stuff that has slowed us down has been burned plug wires, a fouled spark plug, and an undocumented relay in the starter circuit.
Was that the gm coil in cap or did you have a separate coil?

I just replaced the ignition system, contemplating taking the old distributor/coil/cap along for the ride just in case.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
It was the gm coil in the distributor. Taking a working spare sounds like a good idea, I do.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #5
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
Duct Tape, bailing wire, tie wraps, wd40
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Spares!

Yea! The alternator! I would replace it and use the old one for a spare. Also a tire plug kit! Safety Seal has the best one and get a small 12 volt air compressor.
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
WD-40 if it squeaks.
Duct Tape if it's broken
A hammer if it's stuck.
And band-aids if you miss.
😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Recently, we hit a deer when 1000 miles from home that damaged the bumper so that I could not turn left. I was very happy to have the tools and especially the socket sizes necessary to remove the bumper, and duct tape to hold the fender away front the wheel. I was lucky to be carrying a 247-piece set of mechanics tools for a project I was heading to. You don’t need such a heavy set of tools but you might make sure that you are carrying whatever sockets sizes you’ll need for repairs...and the occasional deer encounter.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
In addition to the above mentioned items, I would recommend carrying a spare trailer wheel bearing, ESPECIALLY if you have a current series Classic. We had one of these sealed, permanently greased bearings fail this year in northern BC. Because of their cost, they are not stocked by most RV dealers or repair shops. They offer no warning before failing, and we had the brakes and bearings serviced a short time before failing by an Airstream dealer.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
Hot water heater fuse.
Caulking
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Allen wrenches, rivet gun, rivets (different sizes), crescent wrenches (at least two sizes), pliers, diagonal pliers, cross lug wrench, jewelers screwdrivers, drill with bits, electrical tape, ignition wrenches, crimping tool and various wiring connectors, box cutter, measuring tape, an extra padlock, cable lock, hatchet, extra water filters, gloves, spray silicone and electrical safety flares. Did I miss anything other than regular stuff for operation of your rig?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sayville , New York
Shovel, rope, duct tape, garbage bag, wood chipper....

Oh sorry, wrong list.
gln826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camr View Post
In addition to the above mentioned items, I would recommend carrying a spare trailer wheel bearing, ESPECIALLY if you have a current series Classic. We had one of these sealed, permanently greased bearings fail this year in northern BC. Because of their cost, they are not stocked by most RV dealers or repair shops. They offer no warning before failing, and we had the brakes and bearings serviced a short time before failing by an Airstream dealer.
For a motor home??
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Good Sam Roadside assistance card, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Replacement Fluids for hydroboost, Raidiator, Batteries, Brakes, Transmission, Motor, Driver and Passagers oh yeah if in lumpy country keep that huge flat Gas tank well over quarter full!!!
They are so soft n cruisy on the open road.
Just an ol time bread van after all :} plenty off parts everwhere you go!
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
For a motor home??
Camr,

Good intentions but pretty sure Wazbro got it right.

Off topic so I'll try to be brief. I can send you more info.

The Nev-R-Lube bearing design is not unique to Airstreams.
The bearing only can be replaced if the hub is not damaged beyond reuse.
As far as availability I bet any medium sized auto parts store has one on the shelf or avail overnight.
Special tools, either a shop press or a front wheel drive bearing tool set. These exist, maybe even a rental tool but it safely presses old bearing out and new one in, undamaged. I've done it on my VW front wheel hubs.
Part number. BCA 513058 or Timken Set 49 JRM4249 ASSY. https://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/ I just checked and my local O'Reilly has the BCA on the shelf. Fits a bunch of applications.

And back to our regular program.

Chassis have OBD scan port?

And for the MOHO gang, that Show Me The Parts link is a doozie. That software is a very common data system for many aftermarket companies. MANY!!!!!

Good luck,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #17
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
You need some tooth picks and Elmers for wood screws and over size screws for sheet metal. Extra water, oil, gas, and tranny filters in case the other get filled with debris. Spare spark plugs for your engines in the MH and genny. I carry extras like light and pump switches, fuses for the water pump, propane leak detector and awning if yours is electric. One handy thing is a hex screw driver and all the different bits your rig might need. A spare vent raiser handle and motor. Some spare material like sheet aluminum, silicone and card board, wire ties, electrical tape electrical terminal and SharkBite plumbing repair fittings . I carry Rector Seal liquid pipe dope, silicone spray, Slick 50 lube, SD20 degreaser (it cleans "Mouse Fur" and any thing plastic), WD40 and corrosion prevention spray. There are other things like extra PressurePro valve stem sensors. Also, a role of duct and aluminum tape. Having said all this if I don't use something in several years out it goes except for tire changing tools.
guskmg
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:24 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I LOVE the tool threads.....

Tools explained.

Put your Coffee down....😂

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Generator,1 gal gas...tires look good...good to go...don’t need to pack all the extra stuff...there is a wallmart wherever you go..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
To make it simpler:
1 spare AS
1 spare TV
1 primary fuel truck (diesel or gas) and 1 replacement fuel truck
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote