Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Radiator flush - what's the best approach?

Hi - looking for some help. Can someone set out for (in simple language) the best way to flush my radiator/cooling system? I want to do this myself this weekend. I can't see any posts on this on the site, which is kinda weird.

thanks
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Post #3 here sounds as good as anything:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...ng-173028.html
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Use powdered Laundry detergent as it's non foaming. mix a mild soapy batch in a bucket then fill your system. Run the vehicle until operating temp (thermostats open) and set the heater to hot.

Drain and continue until it comes out clean. Repeat process with clean water until soap is gone.

Although this may sound a little strange the the ears, I've worked as a senior tech in several dealerships in a couple of different countries and this is the same method used in every dealer I've worked for
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
What I've done in the past is, first drain radiator and if possible engine block drain plug, remove the thermostat and reattach housing, (you're putting in a new one anyway), place a coolant T junction that accepts a garden hose fitting to a heater hose (return line if I recall); add garden hose and flush. Then stop water, you can add a bottle of CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust dissolver) at this point to the radiator, button everything up and run motor until CLR is very well distributed; let sit for a couple hours then flush with garden hose again.

Drain as much of the plain water as you can with compressed air if possible, add new thermostat and refill with correct coolant amount concentrate and then the remainder with distilled water.

If you try and add 50/50 coolant mix, you will find your coolant is less than 50/50 because of the plain water left in the system.

https://www.amazon.ca/Prestone-AF-KI.../dp/B000CCFY5W

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Unless you have a very poor water source, there's no need to add distilled water. Quality coolant has all the corrosion protection you need.

If you're worried about having a perfect coolant/water ratio you can buy an inexpensive meter from an auto parts store and top up with concentrate if needed.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Thanks all. When you backflush, which hoses are connected and which are not?
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:37 AM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Thanks all. When you backflush, which hoses are connected and which are not?

Not sure what the water is like in your area Nick, but I would not be using the water we get out of the tap (faucet) as the mineral content is so high you can stand a spoon up in it. Comer do a pre-mix with anti-freeze and inhibitors that is recommended for older engines.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Hope Im not posting too late. The only components you back flush are the radiator and the heater core. Ideally the radiator needs to be pulled out and turned upside down to backflush. Hot water goes into the top of the radiator from the engine. The cooled water is drawn out the bottom by the water pump