Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: A 454 can be installed with or without Oil Pan installed
Yes, if Yes Please elaborate in new thread or P30 headers thread 0 0%
No Please elaborate in a new thread 0 0%
Don't know Don't Care, Please go do something else 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
Smile P-30 Headers

Does anyone have a good resource for purchasing hedders
for the P-30 chassis. I have a 79 24 ft and am in the process of purchasing a crate engine, 700R-4 transmission
and some new exhaust hedders.

Thanks for the help ya'll !

Bfrank
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
By a strange coincidence, someone just got a set, you could ask him the particulars in this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...ers-32468.html
Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
_

. , .
hi bfrank...

for almost 50 years d/t has been making muscle cars go faster...

Doug Thorley Headers

i opted for the doug thorley tri-y headers on the 1979 p-30 a/s moho...

Doug Thorley Headers

and really liked the results....

check 'em out.

of course high flow exhaust and better fresh air intake adds to the package too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrank
Does anyone have a good resource for purchasing hedders
for the P-30 chassis. I have a 79 24 ft and am in the process of purchasing a crate engine, 700R-4 transmission and some new exhaust hedders.
I've installed headers in a 1981 Trans Am but I purchased them from just a auto shop many years ago. For future reference (I haven't purchased from them yet), I found a good internet source for headers at Welcome To Shop Headers.com!.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I think a member on the ClassicMotorhomesOnline.com site has a take off set for sale. You might want to post over there to see if they are still available.

There are also running threads on this topic on this site and here

Also, Jegs or Summit will have them new and they are specific for the P30 Motorhome Chassis
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
Any speed shop at all can install headers. i opted or coated hedmans. just picked up my '88 345 from Cw where they installed a gear vendor. the tech said it had a lot of scoot compared to normal. i'm happy with it. just make sure that whoever does it puts heat shields on the starter, plugs and oil filter.
wpapke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
BFRank, the high dollar solution is a Banks PowerPak.

HST, you can achieve nearly the same result with a good set of coated long tube headers, a true 2.5" dual exhaust system and a local fabricated cold air intake.

Most any local speed shop can help you out, as can many muffler shops. See also JEGS and Summit Racing on line catalogs.

Make sure that the headers you purchase have thick flanges -- the Banks are all stainless steel and have 1/2" flanges. They will not leak!

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #8
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
summit racing, U can order online and was best price including postage when I bought mine.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Frank, just replaced one side of my rigs headers after a failure.... likely due to a hanging exhaust putting too much stress on the headers. My choice has been Heddman due to the lifetime warranty.
This time I oppted for the 3/8 flange Elite model. Heat coated and $269ish from Summitracing.com . Nice folks and two day ground out of Atlanta for me in SC.
Came with a broken box and no bolts so they shipped a new set right away. UPS picked up the open box a few days later.
Good luck with your project.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Doug Thorley ceramic coated headers from Summit Racing. These came with the smog nozzles on them to make them legal in California. They run into a set of dual Flowmaster 70's, vented out the left side in front of the rear axle.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Prescott/Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I found a source for about $600 with smog nozzles ceramic coated, Thorley. If anyone can do better let me know.
ranchmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Do I..SHOULD I..care?
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #13
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
700 Club

Are you planning to put a 700R-4 in a motorhome?
They strong enough?

4L80-E maybe?
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, if you are putting headers on, make sure the rest of the package is up to snuff. Intake and exhaust can work wonders with new headers.

I've been doing some research over the past few years when I was considering headers for my car. The ceramic coated ones, or ones with a good coating can also help reduce heat, which from what I understand in the dog house of the mohos, can be warm already.

Every degree and CFM helps.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
Smile P-30 Hedders

I went with the Hooker Hedders they were 185.00 in the door I'll make sure that everything hanging behind them is
supported by hangers. I hope the 700R4 tranny is going to be strong enough it's totally rebuilt with 13 clutches and I'll probably install a cooler also the coach is only 24 ft long. I was towed up Monte Eagle Mountain by a 4WD Toyota p/u a few years back when the distrubutor decided to die he got up to 40mph w/o using the 4WD. I have taken some pictures and I'll try to post them after I getr done. So far I have about 4k in the whole project and it should be much stronger the old 454 had over 100k miles on it. Also I am putting new pwr steering pump water pump new distributor ceramic plug wires had the radiator cleaned repainted pressure checked. About the only thing I'm using from the old engine is the NAPA
starter and I had purchased a cast Iron starter nose a guy
had made for drag car engines so I hope I am making this thing bullet proof!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Prescott/Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Hello,
I have installed quite a few 700R4's. They are very sensitve to heat and proper shift points. Make sure you adjust the kick down with a pressure gage. Go to Bowtie Overdrives who specialize in 700R4's, Hesperia, CA on the web. I have used their system with no issues. I have used 5 of their transmissions on jprojects with no issues even behind big blocks with 550HP.

Cooling will be paramount for this trans. I normally omit the radiator pass thru and use 2 after market coolers the biggest you can fit. This trans hates heat. I am going to try to go to a higher temperature fluid such a 5 or 6 on a current project we have. It does not break down as standard fluid does. I would also suggest a cool tube pan and a trans temperature gage. This will tell the story. I have heard horror stories on towing with a 700R4. If you tow very little it should work with good cooling. Make sure your converter locks up at the lowest RPM you can get as slipping causes heat also.
ranchmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
Thanks for the Input Chris, I hope I made a good choice on the tranny. the extra clutches should help it out but I will make sure she stays cool. on the pan you suggested is that a pan that has cooling fins on the bottom? This is a 79 model so no computer and the kickdown is operated by a cable I don't want to work on this thing any more after I get it back in one peice. just want to drive and enjoy it. about the only thing I might tow with it is a
4X8 trailer with a golf cart on it. I plan mainly to travel to
Bluegrass Festivals and Pick my dobro!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
Wink Big Dog Movin IN

Well the old dog is out and the new dogs a movin in the old 454 came out fighting kicking and screeming fought me every step of the way but I finally won the battle. I did have to pull the oil pan and pump from under the coach
I want to put the new dog back in with the oil pan installed and it looks as if
I will have to grind off two rivets in the top of the very front cross member
that protects the brake equalizer valve, remove the two bottom bolts and loosen clamps that hold brake lines in place then find a large shoe horne to squeeze her in place. Anybody out there that has accomplished monumental feat please feel free to chime in and say yeah or nay. That front door is mighty short for a big dog 454 and the chains must be very short to the intake manifold or the intake should be off while putting him in the house. I have not done this before and information is a preimum. So far I have done this with no help from anyone other that those that say I am crazy to spend the $$ for a new engine on a 28 year old coach. But you folks know how it is!
She's my Baby, I don't mean maybe I'm never gonna let her go !!
Thanks in bunches if any real mantic mechanics out there wish to share their secrets for smooth installin
Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
The absolutley best headers are DOUG THORELY , once you have held a thorely header in your hands and seen the quality and the heavy gage of the steel and the 3/8 thick flange (header to the cylinder head) you will want a set .most aftermarket headers are low cost cheaply made .The summit
truck headers on my p-30 and p40 chassis could not handle the heat ,they crack ,fairly fast ,the thorelys have been on my p-30 mobile auto /truck RV ,service truck ,they are in excellent condition after
7 years now driving it 6 days a week .Don't go cheap ,just buy the best ,
you will not regret it ,you get what you pay for .Headers by doug ,by the way are NOT Doug thorely headers ,so ask for them by name .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
I would have to disagree. I just put on the Banks header (with the 5/8 flange) and are extremely pleased. I didn't gomwith the power pack due to the costs, but ordered the headers which came with all mounting hardware and heat shields, and the cold air intake. The coach already had factory dual exhaust, so I had a local muffler shop weld the existing pipes to the new header flanges. Saved alot of money. Banks also included a transmission kit which adjusted the shift points to work with the new performance levels. Great system!!!
1987_345 is offline   Reply With Quote