Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #1

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Powell , WY
Overheating in 1999 Airstream Cutter

I have changed the thermostats, tightened the water pump belt, new fan blade, steam cleaned the air to air and the radiator and rerouted crankcase breather tube. On recent trip temperature runs normal until we started climbing (towing a 18' trailer with 2 motorcycles) and the temperature started climbing. Does Airstream or Freightliner offer a bigger radiator for this unit?

Thx
mcintosh1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Have you tried switching to 25% antifreeze (just for the summer)?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Does this model have an electric radiator fan, or a belt driven fan?
The fan clutch may be bad.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Air Forums Dane.

You will have to contact Freightliner with your chassis # to see if the larger rad is available for that chassis. Yours should be a XC chassis but they will want the F/L # for parts.

Have you determined that the temp. reading is accurate? Have you got a good rad cap on there giving the proper pressure? Overflow tank is working properly and coolant proper level and DCA content correct, etc? These engines require quality products for long life.

Is this the alarm or just the gauge reading that is showing hot? The alarm on these are a historical problem.

I suggest you first talk to a qualified Cat facility which, probably your closest, would be Casper or Gillette "Wyoming machinery Co" .

I have no direct knowledge of Cat engines other than the older 3406 model from the 80s so your best bet is a professional shop if you have an ongoing problem.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintosh1969 View Post
I have changed the thermostats, tightened the water pump belt, new fan blade, steam cleaned the air to air and the radiator and rerouted crankcase breather tube. On recent trip temperature runs normal until we started climbing (towing a 18' trailer with 2 motorcycles) and the temperature started climbing. Does Airstream or Freightliner offer a bigger radiator for this unit?

Thx
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote