Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
Following, and anyone heard anything about Mercedes cheating like VW? I had a VW TDI and was a VW owner off and on for about 45 years having about 10 VW/Audi products. That was a headache. Is Mercedes negligent as well?
Although this topic is not related to subject of this thread - the details of recent Mercedes diesel settlement in this thread from Sprinter Forum:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/89858/

It is not like the VW case where VW admitted they cheated. Mercedes says they did nothing wrong and are just settling to end this mess for them.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I managed to never put bio-diesel in the Mercedes 2007 ML320 CDI (205,000 miles crossing from Phoenix to Indianapolis over 25 times) or my wife’s 2009 E320 CDI with 75,000 local miles. Have put five gallons of bio- diesel once in Ram out if 56 gallons in tank. I changed all three fuel related filter at end if trip to be safe.

That DEF stuff and bio-diesel (up to 20% at the big 3 truck stops) has ended my interest in another diesel vehicle. They are great for towing, but operational costs can be staggering, especially for Mercedes. I would assume all of the other imports and the three US diesel pickups brands will have the same issues as the overland semi trucks.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
DO NOT let anyone work on your rig.

Until you exhaust every avenue with Mercedes.

Other people have had the same issue, and MB knows the frequency

Get started on getting help from them.

By the way, I would not let anyone else work on my rig anyway, MB will give you a warranty that is good all over the world. It is not uncommon for rebuilds to come apart, again
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Is your engine same as these?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...tom-robertson/
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Portland , Oregon
Sprinter shop

Hi,
I used the MBZ sprinter shop in Orland Park and got great service. They have a dedicated Sprinter service area. When I am in the Chicago area that is my first choice.

Good luck.
bboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Slidell , Louisiana
If it hasn't been done, get it scanned with a scanner that will read the MB codes, not a generic code reader. Any check engine lights come on? There should be codes stored from when it failed.
Gulfbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I had a 2010, 3500 Series Sprinter van. The Owner's Manual was VERY specific as to what oil could be used. The manual listed ~ 21 DIFFERENT brands / types of oil NONE OF WHICH were available locally (even the readily available Mobil-1 was NOT the "right spec" for my Sprinter!). That model had "service recommendations" of 10,000 miles and, while I owned it, brought it into MB / Sprinter dealerships three times (10k, 20k, & 30k). Yes, I'm sure I paid more at a MB / Sprinter dealer BUT, I had the peace of mind knowing that the service was done right using MB approved parts & fluids. The first time at a MB dealer, I purchased MB OEM oil & air filters just to have spares readily available. Online, I found an oil brand & type (Pentosin from Germany) that was APPROVED by MB (I bought three, five liter jugs). I also paid for the Extended Warranty that cover my "Benz" for eight years or 100,000+ miles. I sold my Sprinter when I "graduated" to a Freightliner based Super-C RV diesel puller. Had I kept it, I still would have paid extra to have it serviced at a MB / Sprinter dealer. I'd recommend that other Sprinter owners do the same (and of course, keep ALL the paperwork!).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdimarco View Post
The MB mechanic said that the oil and coolant was fine. I am so confused of why and how this could have happened. The MB mechanic that has worked on her (the Whale) will see her on Tuesday. Hopefully, he will know what happened to her. When the first mechanic said "sometimes it just happens" is not sitting well with me.
Sometimes it's does just happen.

some times it's following the Owners manual to a "Fault" and that can lead to early 5 years old (out of warranty) issues, like oil break down and engine wear, they set oil service intervals at 12 months 24000kms, and that is too long, and if it is an RV it may not do that in a season, and get stretched even longer ( not saying this is the case here) Buy saying " hey I followed the 'dealer' recommended oil changes" and now I am out of warranty, and I have issues.

The fuel system needs to be kept clean, and the oil system has to be kept clean as it effects the engine, Turbo, injectors, EGR, and PCV systems

I have this discussion with most of my out of warranty Euro customers, book say 1 oil service a year ( maybe 2) and I say ok let's do the math.

How many years do you plan to keep said vehicle, A: 10 years, ok so 10 extra oil services spread over 10 years ( that is cheap insurance) at 195-350 a service, let's say $3500 extra for the 10 year's
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Seized?

If you had oil in it very rare to seize unless you lost a oil pump. Not sure if electrical powers your MB oil pump? Maybe your Alternator failed and the bearings seized. As the Serpentine belt is common I’ve seen motors locked up by the belt from a failed water pump or alternator or AC compressor.

Would be better news to replace one of those than a motor.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
MB Dealer

I would call my MB dealership and have them look at it. Most diesel engines are 100,000 miles they may have a good will warranty extension involved with MB. Call the MB hotline and request a service warranty supervisor.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:19 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Springfield , Massachusetts
The fuel injection and engine management in the Mercedes Sprinter is all Bosch. My company is a Bosch service center, specializing in Sprinters. We see quite a few premature engine failures.

Most of the time, engine failures are the result of two things:
- Failure to use the correct Mercedes type approved oil (common diesel oils like Delvac and Rotella are not acceptable for this engine)
- Failure to change the oil within the 10,000 service interval. (Oil can be fine at 10k miles, and break down by 12k, leading to failure of the motor)

We have brought in Mercedes service reps to look at some of these failures and this has been the answer. Mercedes does not cover these types of lubrication failure. They say part of the problem comes from different sulfur content in North American diesel fuels, and the motors don't do as well here.

We also see engine damage from low grade fuels (may include biodiesel) and contamination of the fuel with both gasoline and DEF.

One poster alluded to the common failure of oil coolers. We see that too, but that does not generally lead to engine failure unless it blows out totally and all oil is lost.

The only way to fix this, in my opinion, is with a genuine MB exchange engine. The total job, depending on labor rates where you are, should come in $17-20k at todays prices
johnrobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:21 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
I had a 2013 3.0 Sprinter chasis I changed the oil. filter, & fuel filter myself. Right on time, with exactly the right spec filters & fluid. Yes Napa ordered in the right stuff (and brand) , nothing but mobil 1 Napa puts mobil on sale every other month.

In absence of knowing someone I trusted, I would go with a MB franchise, just because the Manufacturer will back up the repairs.

I never had engine troubles in 40k miles of use.

My neighbor had a sprinter conversion van, and it blew a motor on a trip...$16K was the repair bill, he stayed after MB for a while, until he got some satisfaction, based on the "up fitter" issues evident in the build.

But my point is, MB is the only source for dependable assistance that will stay with you
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Arnold View Post
I had a 2013 3.0 Sprinter chasis I changed the oil. filter, & fuel filter myself. Right on time, with exactly the right spec filters & fluid. Yes Napa ordered in the right stuff (and brand) , nothing but mobil 1 Napa puts mobil on sale every other month.

In absence of knowing someone I trusted, I would go with a MB franchise, just because the Manufacturer will back up the repairs.

I never had engine troubles in 40k miles of use.

My neighbor had a sprinter conversion van, and it blew a motor on a trip...$16K was the repair bill, he stayed after MB for a while, until he got some satisfaction, based on the "up fitter" issues evident in the build.

But my point is, MB is the only source for dependable assistance that will stay with you
Denny, just so you know. Mobil 1 ESP is the only Mobil 1 approved for newer Mercedes engines. Many people - parts dealers included - mistakenly think the oils interchange. They don't

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...l-1-esp-0w-30/
johnrobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:32 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
glen ellyn , Illinois
Still no answer on what caused it. It has been confirmed that there was oil and other fluids. Hopefully, I will know today. Thanks everyone!
jacdimarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

glen ellyn , Illinois
Here is the final.

I would love any suggestions:

Fwd:Steve good morning we removed the serpentine belt and tried to turn over the engine it is seized to replace with a reman engine we are looking at ¿16,700 to replace and parts are in Germany only. To find exact failure we would need to tear down to determine what happened sorry for the bad news.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

glen ellyn , Illinois
Mb dealership is saying that I’m just out of warranty. Five years hundred thousand miles. My vehicle is a 2015 with 60,000 miles.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdimarco View Post
Mb dealership is saying that I’m just out of warranty. Five years hundred thousand miles. My vehicle is a 2015 with 60,000 miles.

Have you asked them to escalate to MB for some good will. Sometimes the mfg will help out, some extra level of credit or? Also makes a difference if your 1 day out based on in service or 9 months. Sorry about the situation and good luck.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

glen ellyn , Illinois
My warranty is up in March. I am going to call MB on Monday after I have all my arguments in place.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

glen ellyn , Illinois
Hi Everyone and thank you again. The MD Dealer in St. Charles, IL also does not know why my motor died. I had oil, fluids. I do my best to use pure diesel.

I called MB this morning and they opened the case on my AI. They said they will look at how well I kept the AI (damn near perfect, I love her), brand loyalty (thankfully my dad collects MB, I hope that helps), how long ago it was out of warranty (March 2020). I will know by the end of the week.

Thank you to everyone that helped me. Next time I am buying the extended warranty! It looks like I am SOL for the fall anyways. This could take months since a new engine is hard to get from Germany.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Spring , Texas
Good luck I really hope it works out for you.

This is exactly why Airstream needs to move to the Transit platform.