Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2004, 10:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Need Installer for Motor

Anyone have a resource in Los Angeles area for a motor installer? Time for a new crate motor but I can't do it. Thanks.
fangthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangthorpe
Anyone have a resource in Los Angeles area for a motor installer? Time for a new crate motor but I can't do it. Thanks.
Call Corky @ Washington Place automotive in Culver City, If he can't do it himself, he'll know where to go.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Corky says he can't do it (shop's too small) and he really couldn't recommend anyone. Still looking. Thanks.
fangthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangthorpe
Corky says he can't do it (shop's too small) and he really couldn't recommend anyone. Still looking. Thanks.
Bummer, Corky's the biggest gear head I know, used to work on a classic car of mine, I thought he might be able to handle it. If you're willing to go to San Diego, I highly recommend Bob Bowen's Automotive in La Mesa, and I know they've got huge bays, they did some work on my '83 310
Old 08-29-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Motor installer

I had our Isuzu Diesel (new crate engine) installed at Tom's Truck Center in Santa Ana. Our unit is a 1981 Excella 28'; Tom's is the largest truck service center in Southern California. The Service Director is Vern Harmier, (714)560-4118.

Dick
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
You might try looking at the Jasper Engine website for a preferred engine installer. www.jasperengines.com shows 8 installers in Santa Barbara. I had a Jasper engine installed in my son's C1500 stepside locally (TN.) and was pleased with the engine as well as the install.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
WBCCI#-9025 AIR#-6091

2009 27' FB International
Stevenson Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dienst1
I had our Isuzu Diesel (new crate engine) installed at Tom's Truck Center in Santa Ana. Our unit is a 1981 Excella 28'; Tom's is the largest truck service center in Southern California. The Service Director is Vern Harmier, (714)560-4118.

Dick
Was that a turbo diesel? And what did they charge including motor?

Thanks for your time. I'm looking to replace an Isuzu BD1T and am trying to get an idea of costs.
Thanks again.
John
airstreamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamski
Was that a turbo diesel? And what did they charge including motor?

Thanks for your time. I'm looking to replace an Isuzu BD1T and am trying to get an idea of costs.
Thanks again.
John
Yes it is a 6BG1-T (1996 manufacture) and was purchased from a foundation in northern California. It had been donated by a retired college teacher who is living in Carefree Arizona. He purchased two of them to build a streamliner to take back the world land speed record which he held for 25 years before a Mercedes team took it. I guess his sponsors backed out and he donated the engines.

This is an industrial engine, like the original, and Tom's had to use a lot of the original engine external parts to modify it so there was extra labor involved; I paid $4,500 for the engine and $9,000+ for the modification and installation.

Dick
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
454 install...

Last year, I was wrestling with installing a new engine in the Excella, but then lay offs put an end to the project. Now I'm back in the saddle, and looking to do it myself. I've done truck engines, aircraft engines, jets.... but no Airstreams. It looks a bit challenging. Rather change a Pratt on a 747 any day.

Good luck!

Kevin
propstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by propstrike
It looks a bit challenging.
Kevin,

The shop that did mine said the two toughest things were the fact they had to disassemble the front of the coach, start by removing the grill, hood, front bumper and fascia and keep working inward. And that they could not use a normal engine hoist. They ended up using a forklift to take it out and insert the new one. One tip was to take off/leave off the exhaust manifolds for R&R. Another was to have the MH on stands and have both front tires off for easier side access.

Good luck!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote